Cheetah3D 7.2 Beta 2

Cheetah3D 7.2 Beta 2

Hi,
contrary to my original plans I've added quite some new stuff to v7.2 Beta 2. Please see the list below for all the new features.

Thank you very much the bug reports and the feedback. :smile:

New features in Cheetah3D 7.2:
Code:
-upgraded form QTKit framework to AVFoundation framework
    -supports modern video codecs
      -JPEG
      -H264
      -HEVC (just on High Sierra)
      -ProRes422
      -ProRes4444
    -better image quality
    -multithreaded export
    -much faster
    -hardware accelaration if appropriate hardware is available
-added .gif exporter to Render Manager
-added support for the iMac Pro with up to 18 CPU cores (and 36 threads )
-added support for IES light profiles
-added support for filmic tone mapping to Falcon renderer
-added "Triangulate" property to Boolean creator object
-added "Triangulate" property to Boolean modifier object
-added support for SVG <circle> tag
-added bevel property to box object
-added bevel property to cylinder object
-added partial cylinder support to cylinder object
-added support for soft shadows to non-physical light sources in Falcon (doesn't use MIS yet)
    -point light
    -spot light
    -distant light
     -sky light sun
-added more steps to the quality slider in the JPEG export options
-JAS files are now exported with a proper UTI
-improved UI of external file link in properties editor
-removed old Cheetah3D 3.2 light sources (.jas loader converts them to Light objects)
-fixed bug in .obj loader
-fixed bug in .obj exporter (caused by objects with identical names)
-fixed bug in smart folder (could forget file path)
-fixed bug in torus object (could create zero area polygons when N1=0 or N2=0)
-fixed bug in movie save panel
-fixed bug with SVG <polygon> tags
-fixed undo bug when using steppers
-dropped support for Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7

New in v7.2 Beta 2
Code:
-added quality property to JPEG movie exporter
-added more steps to the quality slider in the JPEG export options
-added support for SVG <circle> tag
-added bevel property to cylinder object
-added partial cylinder support to cylinder object
-added support for soft shadows to non-physical light sources in Falcon (doesn't use MIS yet)
    -point light
    -spot light
    -distant light
    -sky light sun
-removed old Cheetah3D 3.2 light sources (.jas loader converts them to Light objects)
-JAS files are now exported with a proper UTI
-fixed bug in GIF exporter
-fixed bug with SVG <polygon> tag import
-fixed undo bug when using steppers
-fixed bug in OpenEXR export (buggy alpha channel)
-fixed bug in light object (visible in editor didn't work properly)
-fixed bug in some retina icons

Attention:
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE SO DON'T USE IT ON IMPORTANT DATA.

Download link of Cheetah3D 7.2b2:
http://www.cheetah3d.com/download/Beta/Cheetah3D7.2b2.dmg

I hope you like the new features in Cheetah3D 7.2.:smile:

Kind regards
Martin

Wow thanks Martin!

I love the bevel function that you added to the parametric boxes!!! Now I don't have to collapse them when I create sign panels.

:cool: :D

7.3 b1 ;-)

Soft shadows on sky lights is something I’ve wanted for, like, nine years (I.e. as long as I’ve been using C3D).

Last edited:
Finally a usable sunlight with soft shadows!
Thanks Martin for that addition!

softsky.jpg

Last edited:
It's really quite remarkable how a couple of "small" features (IES lights and soft shadows) can make renders look that much better.

Keep on truckin' Martin. Thanks for all your good work over nearly 2 decades.

It would be great if IES lights (and the other non-physical lights) gained some kind of physical placeholder to save having to build out light geometry all the time (but it sounds like Martin may have that planned — "(doesn't use MIS yet)").

I note that when using the skylight, with or without "background" switched on, the sun does not appear in reflections.

I note that when using the skylight, with or without "background" switched on, the sun does not appear in reflections.
Yes, Martin calls them "non-physical lights", opposed to mesh lights I assume, which aren't there yet.

But placing some emissive geometry for the sake of reflections is much easier than trying to fake soft shadows, so it's still progress.

The Cheetah sunlight is now better than Blenders btw, that has no reflection either but also doesn't align with the sky automatically, you need an add-on there and have to refresh it manually too :tongue:

7.3 b1 ;-)

Soft shadows on sky lights is something I’ve wanted for, like, nine years (I.e. as long as I’ve been using C3D).

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I've been waiting years for SSS and volumetric lighting. And I reckon 2018 might be the year when it happens.

I have to say that the combination of IES lights, soft shadows and filmic tone mapping is a great step towards realism in lighting.
Interiors can now be rendered with a quality unknown before.

Kudos to Martin for the pace and amount of improvement!

bunker.jpg

Thank you very much for all the positive feedback. It's great to see that you like the new stuff and it's even greater to see it already in usage.:smile:

I have to say that the combination of IES lights, soft shadows and filmic tone mapping is a great step towards realism in lighting.
Interiors can now be rendered with a quality unknown before.

Kudos to Martin for the pace and amount of improvement!

Nice stuff.:icon_thumbup: You might have noticed that the IES profile gets blurred by the soft shadow feature. That's something that will be fixed in Beta 3.

What for a gamma value did you use for this rendering? When using the filmic tone mapper a gamma value of 2.2 is recommended. I personally like 2.4 even more.

In the old Cheetah renderer it would have had a much bigger performance hit. With Falcon it's almost for free. At least in its non-MIS form. Using MIS would have a effect on performance since two shadow rays would be required, but I'm not sure if MIS is really needed and if it is worth the cost.

Bye
Martin

It would be great if IES lights (and the other non-physical lights) gained some kind of physical placeholder to save having to build out light geometry all the time (but it sounds like Martin may have that planned — "(doesn't use MIS yet)").

I've added the possibility to use IES profiles also for area lights. Since area lights already use MIS. IES + area lights just make sense for relatively small light sources of course.:wink:

Bye
Martin

Thank you Martin for all these great recent new additions especially with the IES lights and soft shadows.

Are Mesh lights still something you plan and adding?

Also can you tell us what the state of adding fog background to Falcon is?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

You might have noticed that the IES profile gets blurred by the soft shadow feature. That's something that will be fixed in Beta 3.

What for a gamma value did you use for this rendering? When using the filmic tone mapper a gamma value of 2.2 is recommended. I personally like 2.4 even more.

Yes, I noticed the blurring, but with soft shadow values from 0,01 to 0,1 it's quite ok. There is also a darkening effect coming with the blur.
Great you could correct that!

I didn't touch the gamma setting (should be 1.8 default), good idea for further testing!

(And once volumetric scattering comes, those IES lights will get even more awesome!)

cornell.jpg

Back