Particle Emitter with Dynamics

Particle Emitter with Dynamics

Its been mentioned in several places in the forum that the particle emitter doesn't support dynamics/physics, but not here in Wish List

I'd like to add that.
If/when possible, please add the ability to use dynamics with the particle emitter.

Thanks,
--Shift Studio.

The relationship between particles and physics is a little odd.

If you double-click a particle system it turns it into a collection of instances. You can then assign a rigid body to the system and it works (I won’t say “as expected” because that’s not what I’d expect).

The relationship between particles and physics is a little odd.

If you double-click a particle system it turns it into a collection of instances. You can then assign a rigid body to the system and it works (I won’t say “as expected” because that’s not what I’d expect).

Right thanks. I'm in the process of building a very huge pile of coins - right now I have over 300,000 in the pile, and its really just the shell of the pile.

It would be nice to have a particle emitter do the work by emitting coins and they end up in the pile places without intersecting coins.

I'm unsure how that would work given the nature of the particle system/physics relationship - but it would be nice if C3D provided a way:)

--shift studio.

Right thanks. I'm in the process of building a very huge pile of coins - right now I have over 300,000 in the pile, and its really just the shell of the pile.

It would be nice to have a particle emitter do the work by emitting coins and they end up in the pile places without intersecting coins.

I'm unsure how that would work given the nature of the particle system/physics relationship - but it would be nice if C3D provided a way:)

--shift studio.

Well you just need a big enough particle system (or set of systems) :)

That said, I'd probably build a blob to sit under the coins to minimize the number of coins needed for the pile. I'm also going to hazard a guess than 300,000 coins is going to need a lot of RAM and patience.

I made a terrain with four million trees once (in my menger thread) and found that I had to disable visibility of that particle system in order to proceed with the file.

@ pod - yes, now I've got 6 particle systems. At first I was dropping various shaped particle meshes into a cone-shaped mold with an inner 'blob'. Now I've flipped the cone right-side-up and am trying to reshape somewhat with the Attraction Effector on a modified blob.

In reality, the coins would like to be 'stacked' or semi-stacked at least. In my image the camera is facing the pile from the front, and I need many of the coins to facing the camera rather than stacked - so this is adding to the complexity.

To say this is slow is an understatement. My Mac has been maxed out for days, and my patience is near it's limit.

I've been compensating by using a dummy coin in the system with minimal geometry.

@ misoversaturated - yes, I've been there too. Another option is, in the Particle system, choose Display type = box or line or point and change Visible to .5 or .1 or whatever.

Wish me luck guys.
--shift studio.

Last edited:
Another bump. :) The particle emitter is a wonderful tool (and I'm impressed at the quantities of particles it can handle!), it could do so much more if its particles could interact not only with forces, but with actual objects and each other!

Back