Symmetry selection

Symmetry selection

Turn on symmetry in x, y, and/or z axis to select points, lines, or polys so one can move two (or more) points at the same time (but in mirrored directions).

Hi Frank,

I have tried the transform tool to scale by selecting the two points. I was looking for the selection tool to select the points for me. For example, if this was a cube and I select the point on one corner with x symmetry turned on, the opposite corner (along the x-axis) point would be selected as well. Then I can transform.

Speaking of which, the scale and rotate (cube and sphere) part of the transform tool doesn't seem to following the setting under quantize. A fix in the next version perhaps?

Mmmmh!

Hi Sixer.
Excuse my ignorance; maybe I´m just lost in translation. But I can´t see any difficulties here, except the "quantise thingy" I didn´t use here at all.
Wiz kindez regarz
Frank

Attachments

• Dragstuff.jpeg
    Dragstuff.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 462
Hi Frank,

Yup, tried it all. I am looking to select the extra points auto-magically by just clicking on one point. On a simple mesh like a cube it's not a big deal, but on something more complexed, then it's a big time saver to have the application select the corresponding point(s) on the opposite side of the mesh with one click and then use the transform tool to do the transformations.

The extra clicks and mesh rotations to select the points add up during a session. It's a "time saving" feature.

Edit: Also useful when doing ring cuts that are equal distance from two opposite edges.

Last edited:
Ok, I didn´t know about such a feature.
BTW. One last question: Lets say it´s a symmetrical mesh; Haven´t you try Cheetah3d´s symmetry modifier&creator?

With kindest regards
Frank

Ok, I didn´t know about such a feature.
BTW. One last question: Lets say it´s a symmetrical mesh; Haven´t you try Cheetah3d´s symmetry modifier&creator?

With kindest regards
Frank

Hi Frank,

I have tried the symmetry modifier and creator. Unfortunately, sometimes when you are far enough along with a mesh (call it poor planning, or inexperienced, or change of mind), it isn't always desirable (or possible) to delete half the mesh, add the ring cuts (or other edits), and generate the symmetry with the modifier and/or creator. For example, I can't do half an "inner extrude" on the half mesh and have it show up as a full IE across the two halfs of the mesh with the symmetry modifier or creator. I would need to work with the full, symmetrical mesh in order to be able to do an IE across the "halfs". Then if I have to do ring cuts to get the bevels, I can't easily put them exactly the same distance from the edges. Of course, one can start off with half a mesh and the symmetry modifier, do the ring cuts, convert the whole mesh to editable, then put in the IE. But then one would have to start over from the beginning. For me, the bevels are details I put in last, not something I would even think about as I try to rough out a shape. I don't want to recreate the last 20 minutes (or more) of work.

What I am looking for is a "mode" where if symmetry is turned on in any one of the axis, whatever one is doing is reflected on the opposite side of the axis.

Hi Sixer.
Ok.
Let´s quote myself:

and add: ......in any other 3d-app and I have no idea to solve this mathematically ( to define wich point is the opposite one of xyz) -but that´s of course not my job.

With kindest regards
Frank

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the (much) delayed reply. The mesh that one would work with in this case would be symmetrical - or started off life as symmetrical. Wouldn't work if the mesh was asymmetrical. For example, let's use a human head mesh as an example. Let's also say that this head mesh started off as a sphere. There are the same number of polys on the left side as there is on the right side. So for every x,y,z point on the left, there is a corresponding -x,-y,-z on the other side. -OR- If one doesn't care if the mesh is actually, in fact symmetrical, then one can always implement it by using the x, y, and/or z axis and for every action done to x+n,y+n,z+n point, (assuming x,y,z is the origin where the x,y,z axis meet), the same action is done to the point x-n,y-n,z-n. That assumes symmetry is turned on for all 3 axises. If symmetry is turned on the x-axis. Then actions performed on point x+n,y,z is done on x-n,y,z.

I know one can use the symmetry modifiers/creators to take care of it most of the time. This tool will be very useful when modifying existing meshes.

Back