Exploring The Menger Space

Thanks Chris!

These projects emerged over the last years, and only recently the idea came up to combine them in one story.

_________

After coming back to my base camp I was totally exhausted and slept for twelve hours in my tent.
There must have been strange dreams too but the only thing I recall after waking up was the image of a gigantic octahedron fractal...

octafrac2.jpg

@ misoversaturated,

I’ve never felt the need to ask anyone this before - where does your handle (misoversaturated) come from?
—shift studio.

Thank you too, pellepiano!

where does your handle (misoversaturated) come from?

One thing I cannot stomach in digital imaging, photo or video, is oversaturated colors.
Remember the horror of the first color TV sets in the seventies?
Those normally had three dials for volume, brightness and color but it was impossible to get anything looking remotely natural out of it.

When I got my first digital cam I joined a photo-forum and stupidly started berating others on their ways of color grading before I was acquainted with the mysteries of color spaces and white balance settings :redface:

That's long gone but something stuck and when joining this forum I borrowed and misunderimproved that famous quip of a former POTUS (the misunderestimated one). :smile:

And now for some more meddling with menger matters and one million trees:

image.jpg

Cheetah render, also as animation.

Nice animation. I would never have guessed that Cheetah 3D could handle such apparent complexity. I'm guessing particle instancing for the fir trees?

Love the depth pass and the soft lighting, as well as the subtle push in and pull back during the camera orbit.

Well done.

Very Cool 'MO'...!!! I like the subtle feel of the environment, and the animation is nice and smooth... nice camera work too!
:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup:

And now for some more meddling with menger matters and one million trees:

Cheetah render, also as animation.

This is quite impressive!!! I am marveling at how the "fog" appears to render more densely at lower altitudes. Is this an effect enhanced by textures? And the render is so clean - WOW! I am guessing this is rendered in Cheetah, perhaps with Ambient Occlusion and no lights. And those tress have a great rotational effect of being soft at the edges. I am in awe that you have instanced them to such a high number - the render time?? wow? Do you have any tips to share on how it was done - very impressive.

Thanks Chris and René for your comments!

This is an older project from the v7beta period when I had no license and couldn't save projects.
So I build simple stuff that could easily be recreated.
I found some screenshots of the settings and the materials too but apparently from earlier stages, not the final render.
See attached file without the menger frame and camera animation.

I could not achieve manageable render times with any kind of radiosity, so the whole thing has solid/emissive materials which render quickly in Cheetah (2x2 quality).
The fog is done via fog tag, no special trick involved.

The tree is actually a simple egg-shaped polygon object with a material with a turbulence fed into alpha-channel transparency to create leaves or branches with a see-through effect.
Because there is no radiosity I used an emission gradient that gets brighter towards the top in order to fake shadows, which does not work as well as the branch effect or the horizon rendering.

With these tricks I could manage to render four million instances at 2560x1600 in about 45 seconds and do a longer animation.

At the time I considered it a failure but later I found myself enjoying the animation in spite of its obvious flaws and decided to share it.

Attachments

• forest.jas.zip
    32.7 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
One thing I cannot stomach in digital imaging, photo or video, is oversaturated colors.

@misoversaturated,
I just discovered this great series of images.

I had to chuckle when I read the above quote.
In my graphic design background, I've always leaned towards bold color.
But I definitely like your "mis-undersaturated" style.
I learn a lot from your posts.

Back