Voronoi pattern + rounded corners

Voronoi pattern + rounded corners

Hi

Ive been experimenting with the Voronoi script. Just wondering how I could round off the interconnecting corners like in this example

4f9e0f9d6abdcb05f8734b2ecec73521--product-design-pattern-voronoi.jpg

Hi Charles,

you need to select all polygons, then all edges.
Bevel the edges with Level one.
Switch from polygon to edge mode, now all inner fields are selected.
Call 'linear subdivide' from polygon tool menu twice, then 'Catmull-Clark subdivide' twice.
Now you have the corners rounded.
Invert the polygon selection, call 'Cover' and move up to get the geometry like in your picture.
I can make a GIF animation later if needed, but am quite busy atm.

Edit: If some points are very close, they will not work well when beveled.
Move them apart a little with point slide tool before you start.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
In essence:
Make your Voronoi pattern
Connect with a slightly higher value than the default to connect the nGons properly
Use point slide to get rid of too tiny corners by dragging points away from the poles.
Select all edges and call the bevel tool to make a linear bevel of factor 2 with nGons enabled
Back in Polygon mode select all nGons call inner extrude and make a tiny movement while holding shift key down to make a slightly bevel - do it again now go for the end depth.
Apply textures - you might need to add creased edges where one material assignment needs a stop.
VoronoiRounded.jpg

VoronoiRounded.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I guess here

Connect with a slightly higher value than the default to connect the nGons properly

and here

Use point slide to get rid of too tiny corners by dragging points away from the poles.

I think Frank's method works better than mine :smile:

I missed to explain that after making the voronoi pattern all polygons are disconnected and have to be welded together with the optimize tool.

I apreciate a lot that you help me but how on earth should i know abot a weld radius of 0,011.

I tried and I tried but not result, I give up, sorry

The value doesn´t matter. I noticed that the default setting of 0,001 didn´t work on all places after subdividing the whole thing so I simply click the up-arrow for 1 step up. That´s all.
No secrets or mystery enclosed.

Cheers
Frank

Do you think a Displacement solution would be as sufficient?

Cheers
frank

Attachments

• VoronoiDisplacement.png
    VoronoiDisplacement.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Voronoi.jpg
    Voronoi.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 677
Here's a file for you with all the steps included.
In #2 & #3 a single polygon is moved to show the difference after optimizing (value 0.01).
Make one after another visible with all others invisible to inspect each state.

Attachments

• voronoi.jas.zip
    98 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Thank you verry much I hope I can replicate it, just wondering why it is so complicated? In the end I am eager to learn but I dont understand the workflow

why it is so complicated?
I think the script is meant to produce single polygons to make stones or shards from with shell tool.
Also it can produce very sharp geometry that is problematic for beveling.

If you need a single connected object you have to weld it with the optimize tool first, and when you try to bevel points too close you have to separate them manually first.

Also you have to switch between edge mode (beveling) and polygon mode (extruding, coloring). When looking in one mode you may miss what happens in the other :wink:

Back