Using C3d with Daz Studio/Poser

Using C3d with Daz Studio/Poser

Hi, I'm new. :)

I'm a vendor for Daz Models (at D|S and Renderosity). I currently do texture work and some rigging on models created by others, as i don't really have modeling skills yet.

I'm looking at Cheetah 3D to be my modeling program. It has good reviews, and as a Mac Program (rather than something ported to the Mac) it would in theory work the way I think software should.

Searching, I've seen some references to Daz and Poser being used and sending from them into C3D, but that wouldn't be my goal.

Have folks used C3D as a modeler to build for other software (if not specifically Daz Studio)?

Any comments, suggestions, reviews, and dire warnings greatly appreciated :)

I am a vendor at Renderosity as well as other places and use C3D as my only modeler.
Works fantastic been using it for years and in conjunction with Poser Pro Game Dev 10.0.5.30556 and the FBX exchange (unity setting) in Poser and from C3D FBX setting 6.1.0 (Poser won't import anything newerFBX wise from C3D).
It gives me the work flow I need.
Martin and everyone here is great at solving problems and answering questions.I use tutorials designed for other 3D software and C3D can do most if not all of what the other software can.
So my suggestion is use C3D for all your modeling needs good UV's can be made in C3D as well. And with Affinity Photo I do all my texturing.
That's it over and out.

Do you use it for the price or does it have other benefits to 3d texturing beyond that?
I went from Gimp to Affinity Photo and Designer this probably sounds silly but I did it because it took Gimp too long to Load and also gimp is Raster only Affinity Photo can do both raster and vector.
Now I'm used to Affinity.I don't use designer too often because as I said you can do Vector work in Affinity Photo. Also Photo has live previews of blend modes and a lot of other cool stuff.Check out their forum if interested.
I have Pixlmator but never use it don't care for the UI and the vector tools are not very good.
also Affinity Photo loads PDF's the UV format from C3D. with a transparent Background.
All this is of course my opinion.

The Affinity apps are on sale right now too. I think for another 7 days? Pretty nice. The big problem with Affinity Designer for me, is there is no scale factor function. I need to be able to work in scale.

The Affinity apps are on sale right now too. I think for another 7 days? Pretty nice. The big problem with Affinity Designer for me, is there is no scale factor function. I need to be able to work in scale.

You might want to ask about this on their forum if you haven't already.:smile:

You might want to ask about this on their forum if you haven't already.:smile:

Thanks, I may.

I did see where someone else posted about it before, but I didn't pay attention to the date. I have an older Windows laptop that I put both Affinity apps on as trial versions last night. I use Adobe stuff at work and at home on my iMac, but I don't have a serial for Windows. I'm not too keen on software subscriptions. Say I may end up buying them both anyway. I don't think they support third party plugins yet either. Not that that is a big problem, other than something like CADTools being offered.

Attachments

• AD.png
    AD.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 454
Ah I see. It´s funny because AD holds all kinds of visual tools during creating process:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ADHUD.png
    ADHUD.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 408
Ah I see. It´s funny because AD holds all kinds of visual tools during creating process:

Cheers
Frank

They definitely make really good apps! In a lot of ways, much better than Adobe.

Even Illustrator doesn’t have that function natively like Corel Draw or FreeHand had. We had to buy the HotDoor CADTools plug in for Illustrator to get it to work. Pretty expensive plug in when we only use about 5% of the functions. Almost everything we draw needs to be drawn in some scale, so it's really difficult to live without it.

We had to buy the HotDoor CADTools plug in for Illustrator to get it to work. Pretty expensive plug in when we only use about 5% of the functions. Almost everything we draw needs to be drawn in some scale, so it's really difficult to live without it.
I´m using SketchUp for that purpose. Modeled in Cheetah3d BTW:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SU Scales.jpg
    SU Scales.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 331
I´m using SketchUp for that purpose. Modeled in Cheetah3d BTW:

Cheers
Frank

Nice!

I've occasionally used SketchUp. I know the pro version has some type of 2d layout tool too (or at least use to). I've only use the free version.

I talked to SurfingAlien (Alessandro) the other day. He told me he's pretty much mostly using SketchUp with Octane Renderer for his architectural work now. Are the dimensioning lines in the free version?

I'm working on some freelance archviz stuff right now. An aerial isometric cutaway style. So not highly realistic. I have Live Home 3d, but I'm mainly using it for quick study. I may switch to SketchUp for the final as I can control the geometry a little easier and it's really accurate. Especially working in architectural scale. I've only done one archviz job before, so I'm learning as I go.

Last edited:
I think Autodesk Graphic Vector app has labels.

I've never heard of that one. Is it subscription like most of their other software? I'll have to check it out.

I also like Affinity Designer because it can open Illustrator files. That's really nice when you have a huge library of jobs.

I've occasionally used SketchUp. I know the pro version has some type of 2d layout tool too (or at least use to). I've only use the free version.
Are the dimensioning lines in the free version?
The example above is from 2010 with SU7(2009) free version.
I took 1 Cheetah3d unit as 1 meter - exported to 3ds with 1:1 scale factor and imported into SU with "Scale units= meters" and the "Dimension-tool" works perfectly accurate.
Since Trimble took over SU some serious changes in their EULA had taken place.

Cheers
Frank

Uhm..Hate to be "that guy" especially being new and all....but we've strayed from the original topic quite a bit..

Playing off the topic of "scale", what is the scale that C3D uses? AS in, with Daz, when you import/export, you set the scale (1 unit = 1 cm or 1 foot or 8 feet) etc. so that things load scaled to other Daz items. (Poser is 8 feet per unit, for example). Does C3D have a "scale"? Can it be set?

This should help:
And have a look into the im/export scale options at Cheetah3d´s preferences.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• C3dtoDAZ.jpeg
    C3dtoDAZ.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 339
Back