SureFire

SureFire

• Model:
    • main body: vector profile + lathe tool
    • threads: triangle + array + skew + wrap tool
    • 8-faced section: cylinder
    • All parts combined into one object; added bevels; etc.
  • Materials: All procedural materials + .pngs for red label and bump map of text
  • Lighting: HDRI

Attachments

• sparkplug_sfs.jpg
    sparkplug_sfs.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 730
  • Model:
    • main body: vector profile + lathe tool
    • threads: triangle + array + skew + wrap tool
    • 8-faced section: cylinder
    • All parts combined into one object; added bevels; etc.
  • Materials: All procedural materials + .pngs for red label and bump map of text
  • Lighting: HDRI

FANTASTIC JOB 'JD'...!!!
:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup:

I like the fingerprints.

Thanks ... but they are actually supposed to be the mill/machine marks :-|

Attached is portion of the reference photo I used.
Looks like the mill marks/fingerprints on mine need to be a little rougher or not as sharp (?)

Update: A colleague just saw the render for the first time and commented that he likes the fingerprints :)

Attachments

• sparkplug_reference2.jpg
    sparkplug_reference2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
LoL - I've handled many a spark plug and noticed the "mill markings" in the textures - you did a GREAT JOB texturing your model - the render also looks great (nice job on lighting as well) - I am guessing you used Cheetah as your render engine because your specular highlights look amazing. Proceedural mill marks?!? WOW - those are not image based textures?!?! Very Nice. Very impressive model & render.

Thanks Rene.

Proceedural mill marks?!? WOW - those are not image based textures?!?!
The first image I posted is all procedural (except for text bump map and red diamond "logo").

The second image (with mill marks) is mostly image texture. I did use procedural turbulence (or fractal) to help break up the image on the metal roughness node. Attached is a portion of the image I used in bump channel. (I created custom brushes in Photoshop). Notice that the contrast on mill marks on the bump map is very subtle.

I am guessing you used Cheetah as your render engine because your specular highlights look amazing.

It is rendered with the new Falcon. I believe it's the metal material base that is helping the specular highlights be more intense.

Attachments

• sparkplug_bumpmap_portion2.jpg
    sparkplug_bumpmap_portion2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 425
  • sparkplug_roughnessmap_portion.jpg
    sparkplug_roughnessmap_portion.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 432
  • sparkplug_colormap_portion.jpg
    sparkplug_colormap_portion.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Back