Bricks, particles and effectors

Bricks, particles and effectors

Hi all!

Newbie questions which I haven't managed to find elsewhere.

1. Is there any easy way to build a brick wall (or cylinder, like a chimney) and then realistically smash it, so that bricks fall naturally? (without building it brick by brick of course...)

2. Is there anything resembling a "glue" function?

3. When I create a particle emitter, it seems that only the original polygon respects the effector (like another rigid body or deflector) and all the emitted particles simply fly right through the rigid object or deflector. Can this disrespectful behavior be stopped? : )

Thanks!

David

Last edited:
Hi David.
Actually 2 solutions come to mind.
A. You can built an array from 2 slightly rotated rings; every segment will be a brick later.
Make the mesh editable and use it in a particle mesh with a single brick per polygon. You can taper the tower but the bricks won´t scale with it. Double-click Particle mesh and add rigid-body tag. Make static ground plane: hit play: see AnimGIF
B. Built a steady mesh of the whole tower and use Hiroto´s cracker.js script to tear it into pieces driven by a rigid body tag.
2. ?
3. What is it for? Do you want to kinda shoot the tower to dust?

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• CollapsingChimney.gif
    CollapsingChimney.gif
    456.8 KB · Views: 516
OK, thanks Frank - I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

2. Glue is for some bricks sticking together, or sticking together longer, for realism. Say that at impact (i.e. of a cannonball) the weakest (or no) glued bricks crack up, but upon falling and impacting the ground the stronger glued objects break up as well, or some with even more glue do not. Now, everything gets pulverized very uniformly and neatly (as in the little video you sent me). Old brick structures don't really behave that way.

3. Well, maybe I want emitted particles to bounce of of something, or to be gathered in a cup - acting like a fluid for example. Right now my particles just go through everything. I must be doing something wrong...?

Again thanks for swift reply!

DAvid

Back