ngPlant & Cheetah Morph tag

ngPlant & Cheetah Morph tag

I am learning how to use the freeware program ngPlant for tree creation and one good side benefit of using it with Cheetah is that you can get some nice animations using the Morph tag.

Once you design a tree (or load one of the many freely available models) you can export two OBJs of it with different stem and branch settings. As long as you don't add geometry between the two versions you can then load these into Cheetah and animate using the Morph tag.

http://www.gotlibdesign.com/cheetah/ngPlant-Cheetah-Morph-sample.mov

ngPlant (also a newer online version using WebGL but I have not gotten it to save models):
http://ngplant.org

pegot,

Did you get any of the .nga files from the site to open? I can't seem to get any of them to open in the app.

Thanks,

Edit:
Never mind. I see that the files have to be unpacked from File > Import From > ngPlant archive .NGA, just in case anyone else is wondering also.

Last edited:
Yes and after you import and unpack the .nga files, it will create a .ngp file which you can open using the normal "open" method.

Also note that the program is kind of finicky with textures if you want to start using your own. They have to be in a folder names "textures" and you need to set the path in preferences. Also only 8bit RGB textures can be used.

Yes and after you import and unpack the .nga files, it will create a .ngp file which you can open using the normal "open" method.

Also note that the program is kind of finicky with textures if you want to start using your own. They have to be in a folder names "textures" and you need to set the path in preferences. Also only 8bit RGB textures can be used.

Thanks for the info! All the settings have my head a little confused though. I don't use plants much in my renders, but it could be fun to play with. :)

All the settings have my head a little confused though.
If you try to figure them out just by playing yes it is a bit confusing. But if you go through step by step with the documentation it shows you exactly what they all do. And the documentation covers it all pretty simply and succinctly.

If you try to figure them out just by playing yes it is a bit confusing. But if you go through step by step with the documentation it shows you exactly what they all do. And the documentation covers it all pretty simply and succinctly.

Yep, I guess I should RTFM! LOL

Probably would be a smart place to start instead of tinkering around. :icon_thumbup:

Back