Cheetah stops responding Boolean

I started with a plane:
HoleInPlane.gif

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:

I used the Bevel Tool set to 16 to make a "crosshatch", and ended
up with these gentle curves, then I did the Make Circle thing.
Then I beveled the edges. it's nice to work without subdividing.

Attachments

• Bevel Hole.jpg
    Bevel Hole.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 350
Hi,
OK I have some good and some bad news. The good news that I found and fixed the problem which is causing the crash. Hereby open edges (edges which are used by just one polygon) seem to work fine. The problem is caused by edges which are shared by more than two polygons. And the cylinder object in the sample file had many of them.

I've added a test to Cheetah3D which checks the meshes for such non-manifold edges before they are sent to the CSG library. So this crash is avoided.

The bad news is that Cheetah3D can't fix that bad topology automatically. So avoid these non-manifold edges during modeling.

Bye
Martin

This will of course in combination with Booleans: three 32x1 cylinders booled together - merged&bridged with one 8x8x8 box:

I recreated this and then tried to bevel the inner edges but found that the bevel tool didn't work in this case :confused:

Is there a bug, can anybody confirm this?
(v7b19)

Edit: Don't mind, after calling optimize the bevel works, apparently the boolean operation on the three cylinders produces no clean mesh.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Hi,
OK I have some good and some bad news. The good news that I found and fixed the problem which is causing the crash. Hereby open edges (edges which are used by just one polygon) seem to work fine. The problem is caused by edges which are shared by more than two polygons. And the cylinder object in the sample file had many of them.

I've added a test to Cheetah3D which checks the meshes for such non-manifold edges before they are sent to the CSG library. So this crash is avoided.

The bad news is that Cheetah3D can't fix that bad topology automatically. So avoid these non-manifold edges during modeling.

Bye
Martin

I wish there was a warning to the cover tool that it was not undone enough.I sometimes forget to undo twice. To prevent bad topology. I always try for water tight meshes the new watertight check is a nice addition. Thanks Martin.

Back