HELP! Simple text extrusion - how to bevel text

HELP! Simple text extrusion - how to bevel text

hello,
Am trying to do extrude a word then bevel the letters - whats the fastest way to do it?

I saw a post here where it was explained that the fastest way it to do a ring select of the edge, then inner-extrude, then expand slightly to create a bevel.

My problem is the inner-extrude isn't working so I can expand it to create a bevel. What could be wrong? I suspect my ring-selection method is wrong.

Also - does this method only work with single letter or the entire word (meaning I select all the faces in the extrusion all togeter?

Hope to hear about a solution - I cant' seem to figure this out.

rgds/ RandyQ

hello,
Am trying to do extrude a word then bevel the letters - whats the fastest way to do it?

I saw a post here where it was explained that the fastest way it to do a ring select of the edge, then inner-extrude, then expand slightly to create a bevel.

My problem is the inner-extrude isn't working so I can expand it to create a bevel. What could be wrong? I suspect my ring-selection method is wrong.

Also - does this method only work with single letter or the entire word (meaning I select all the faces in the extrusion all togeter?

Hope to hear about a solution - I cant' seem to figure this out.

rgds/ RandyQ

Hi RandyQ, can you please send a example file.

The Extrude Creator must be made editable to do ring cuts.

The Extrude Creator has a bevel option that will only work
with a setting of more than 1 section in it's Properties.

There's also a Bevel Tool.

Hi RandyQ, can you please send a example file.

The Extrude Creator must be made editable to do ring cuts.

The Extrude Creator has a bevel option that will only work
with a setting of more than 1 section in it's Properties.

There's also a Bevel Tool.

Hi ZooHead,
I'm trying to do simple stuff like simple extruded logo with the edge beveled. I have included a sample of what I am trying to do, but I'm finding it a big pain-in-the-ass to make the bevel manually (I thought we were over that in the 20th century?).

Hopefully you know of a faster/simpler workflow?

I make the logos in SVG and import then extrude into Cheetah3d. To make this bevel I have selected points and scaled them in the extrusion - not an easy operation at all.

Hope to hear of there is an alternative way!

rgds/ RandyQ
11khylt.png

Should be no problem with the Extrude Creator's built in bevel setting.

Attachments

• Extrude Bevel.jpg
    Extrude Bevel.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 589
  • Extrude Bevel 02.jpg
    Extrude Bevel 02.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 602

Here's an alternate method you can use after making the Extrusion Creator editable.

Attachments

• extrudebevel.gif
    extrudebevel.gif
    237.4 KB · Views: 563

Here's an alternate method you can use after making the Extrusion Creator editable.

NICE! Thank you for pointing out that tiny menu - I actually looked for it when you mentioned it made a similar graphic with text.

But this is funny - I actually researched this point and saw some forum posts that said that there was no "auto-bevel" and that bevels had to be made manually!?! So maybe this was an old post that should have been purged from the forum.

Thanks again!

NICE! Thank you for pointing out that tiny menu - I actually looked for it when you mentioned it made a similar graphic with text.

But this is funny - I actually researched this point and saw some forum posts that said that there was no "auto-bevel" and that bevels had to be made manually!?! So maybe this was an old post that should have been purged from the forum.

Thanks again!

I'm glad this was helpful.

Remember not everything posted here is going to be correct or
current, so check the date and test, test and test some more.

We wouldn't want to delete Cheetah forum history, even if it
was wrong when posted. It's better to post a correction. ;)

Pretty sure the text-extrude creator combo wasn´t meant but mesh beveling in general until Cheetah3d got a versatile bevel-tool implemented:
http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9602&postcount=2

Cheers
Frank

Back