Controlled Spline Script

Controlled Spline Script

This is another great script by Hiroto that didn't get much attention when he posted it a few years ago. It deserves a forum tutorial.

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9251

The download from Hiroto's site has two parts, the Spline script and the Tag script.

http://www.tres-graficos.jp/blog/files/article.php?id=95

Because splines are drawn on a flat plane, it can be difficult to make one that curves precisely in 3D space. This script simplifies the process by letting you place small visible objects to locate control points in the spline. In this example the small "point" boxes were snapped to the corners of a default wireframe box to clearly show the resulting spline variations. Everything is intuitive and can be easily adjusted to get the precise spline you want. I use these curvy splines a lot as paths for sweeps — imagine a shoe lace or exhaust pipe.

The tag is only necessary if you want to adjust the curve angle on individual points.

The order of the boxes as children of the script determine the end points of an open curve.

The script includes Position, Rotation, and Scale parameters, which I left at default values for the sake of clarity.

When you try this out, it seems really simple, you just arrange some boxes. But when you think about what it's doing mathematically, it's mind-blowing. Another fantastic C3D tool, thanks to Hiroto.

Attachments

• spline-script3.jpg
    spline-script3.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 645

That's another great script. Thanks for posting this one Joel,
I must have missed it originally. Thanks again Hitoto.

Controlled Spline Script II

This is an example of making a complex sweep object, where the script does most of the work. Note that the "close spline" box is checked and the small boxes 1 — 9 must be in the correct sequence.

Top view and front view reveal the simplicity of arranging the boxes, using a linear-subdivided three-sided disk as the guide. As usual, some tweaking was required to get a smooth shape, but adjusting the boxes visually is intuitive, and the script affects all the bezier curves together so the spline has uniform 3D curves.

Attachments

• f+t.jpg
    f+t.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 548
This is another great script by Hiroto that didn't get much attention when he posted it a few years ago. It deserves a forum tutorial.
Thanks for the Tut! This is a very helpful tutorial and also I would like to thank TGJP for all his wonderful helpful scripts.:icon_thumbup:
Fastest Knot ever!

Attachments

• Knot.jpg
    Knot.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Back