Better Interior lighting

Better Interior lighting

Hi Martin,
I'll start off then. You've probably heard this one from me before :)
My wish is for better interior lighting.
Very simple wish (maybe not to implement), but it would be a nice improvement!

Regards,

Peter

I'm thinking of better lighting without having to increase radiosity intensity and samples, etc. An interior should render as fast and as clean as an exterior render, that's the wish. I don't know about the rendertimes, but Vray does a good job in interior renders without having to wait for days (like maxwell, indigo, etc.).
Maybe I'm wishing for much, but one can always dream.

Regards,

Peter

Cheetah's rederer is to slow for you on this machine? I use it gladly on my MacBook 1.83 and my DualG5 1.8...

My renders are going quite fast indeed. But it takes a long time with realistic interior lighting to get rid of all the blotches because you need pretty high settings in the radiosity tag (at least that's my experience). In the thread " cheetah versus unbiased renders" is a scene made by frank. This scene is a good example where you probably need high settings to get rid of the blotches. It would be nice if the end result was cleaner in a shorter rendertime.

Regards,

Peter

Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but I find that the blotches are less obvious if you increase the radiosity interpolation error parameter to 0.5, although this does create some artifacts where two objects meet...

But I agree with Peer's wish - it is quite hard to get good interior lighting. I think this may partly be a natural effect of the fact that in an interior scene like Frank's nearly all the light is indirect (ie reflected off walls etc).

One way to get more light into an interior is to increase the intensity of the Radiosity (say x2 or x4), but this can produce burn-out on the directly-lit areas. Even using a 'white' material for the walls (with a high diffuse reflectivity), interiors always seem to look too grey, like they're moonlit.

Perhaps it would help to have some kind of Exposure parameter for the camera, which automatically adjusted the total brightness of the scene?

Area Lights could also be improved - they produce incorrect specular reflections (a 'hot spot') on objects.

My wish is for better interior lighting.
Very simple wish (maybe not to implement), but it would be a nice improvement!

Being more and more involved with interior scenes, I am also interested in having an easier solution. Something closer to reality where one can set lights using real parameters
Thanks for the wish list, Martin

Back