Designing a pick-guard for a custom guitar

There were musicians who didn't have schooling in any traditional way. What they knew, they got from listening alone (some couldn't read notes). And in the end, at least in some cases, this can be as good as some institutions. They just make it easier and faster to learn (which in a lot of cases means a higher level in the end).

Really never have heard of Kaye. At least actual wiki let's her live again :smile:

There were musicians who didn't have schooling in any traditional way. What they knew, they got from listening alone (some couldn't read notes). And in the end, at least in some cases, this can be as good as some institutions. They just make it easier and faster to learn (which in a lot of cases means a higher level in the end).

Really never have heard of Kaye. At least actual wiki let's her live again :smile:

I totally agree, which gives me hope. ;)

That's why I mentioned Alan Holdsworth, he figured it out on his own, his way.
If you look at his instructional videos, he has his own unique
way of looking at music theory, and that is so fascinating to me.

PS: Glad she's feeling better

I'm just stalling for time, my damn shoulders are acting up
so play time is limited, but I play most days so I'll get there.

Reply to post

Yeah. I have arthritis in my thumbs and 3 nerves damaged in my right arm. Michael J. Fox has a strat on a stand in the corner of his room, even with Parkinson's. My wife wondered why I was crying when I saw that. My guitars might sit unused some days or more, but they talk to me every damn day... and sing to me every night.

Last edited:

Getting old sucks, but...

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light." DT

Attachments

• Chug Chug bridge pu.zip
    427.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Bass line neck pu.zip
    415.2 KB · Views: 341
  • Lament for the children neck pu.zip
    478 KB · Views: 347
@#66 soundcheck

Whoa, that sounds great!
Is it a private hobby or have you been in a band playing gigs and stuff?

Thanks Miso, this is the first time anyone has heard my
music in over thirty years, so I guess I've kept it private.

No bands since the 70's in high school and nothing serious.

Later I had a girlfriend and her youngest son liked
to play so I played with him and his friends a lot.
After we broke up I didn't really know any musicians so I
reverted to playing through headphones on the couch.

Thanks, it's hard to have confidence musically these days with people like
Tina S. on the internet, at thirteen she could play better than most pros.

Thanks, it's hard to have confidence musically these days with people like
Tina S. on the internet, at thirteen she could play better than most pros.

While I do not have a single musical neuron in my system, I know exactly what you are talking about.

I used to draw and paint daily from the time I was old enough to hold a crayon. I even worked for a small local gaming/publishing company doing artwork. While I was happy with the things I did for fun or for myself, I never was really happy with anything I did professionally. What made it worse was some of the other artists they would hire to do work for them would create things that would make me want to chew my hand off with envy.

It’s crazy though, as much as I did not care for my own work other people liked it.

I never did get used to that feeling. As it worked out, life had a different career plan for me anyway so it did not matter. I am lucky to draw something once a year now.

I guess that's where "we are our own worst critics" comes from.

Again, I think it sounds great.:icon_thumbup:

As someone who cannot play guitar let alone build one, all I can do is admire and marvel at the attention to detail. It reminds me of an old, otherwise quite bad SF movie from the 90s (I think) where the characters had computers with similarly crafted housings — something that I think we'll see more and more of as the expected longevity of computers increases (e.g. I'm using a 4 year old Macbook Pro which I still think of as "new", whereas in the 2000s I wouldn't be caught dead using a computer more than two years old…)

Great stuff, Zoo!

Another old musician here. Drummer. Just had a gig Sunday in a small bar in Monroe, NY. I'll be 55 in August.

Starting to feel it. Loading, unloading, playing, loading, unloading...

Bob

Great stuff, Zoo!

Another old musician here. Drummer. Just had a gig Sunday in a small bar in Monroe, NY. I'll be 55 in August.

Starting to feel it. Loading, unloading, playing, loading, unloading...

Bob

I hear you, but if you love it, it's worth the pain.

I wanted to play the drums when I was young, but I was not encouraged
to play, after my parents realized the racket I was going to make.

Back