Double edges?

Double edges?

Hey all. I'm working a vehicle body, so I'm doing lots of deleting/recreating of polys as I refine shapes. At one point I noticed that some of the subdivision creases looked really strange and "pinched," so I looked at the offending edges. What I saw was that some of the edges that were supposed to be creased seemed to be faded blue, and even when I tried using "Select All Creases", they showed up as faded red (see attachment). This occurred in a couple different places on the model.

My guess is that somehow I created multiple edges connected to the same pair of points, one creased and one not (explaining the faded look: mixed red and gray), and they're messing up the subdivision. But selecting and deleting a line leaves nothing, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

I could manually delete and rebuild all those polys, since it doesn't seem to be too many, but I also would like to know what happened, and how I might avoid it. Anyone have any ideas? (I can post the .jas file too, if needed.)

Attachments

• crease.png
    crease.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 315
Hi.
That all looks like a doubled edge. Ok, choosing and deleting won´t work, so try the following. Set the transform tool to tweak mode and choose that edge. Than drag it along its normals. Now you should see the second/first edge. Choose now the supernumerary edge and delete it, without destroying the mesh.

With kindest regards
Frank

That's a good thought, but unfortunately it didn't work. I think the lines are actually sharing vertices, so everything just moved together. Here's the file -- I pointed the camera right at the edge in question; there were others, but I'd already saved after I'd deleted and rebuilt those.

Attachments

• Double_edge.jas.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 295
I had a quick look and I noticed that if you join the two points as shown that the invisible lines go away, have a go with the scalpel tool and see if that works for you

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• Picture-2.jpg
    Picture-2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Well, I tried what Luke suggested, and while THAT didn't seem to have any affect, breaking up a couple other ngons nearby into simpler polys DID. So maybe I was wrong about it being two edges on top of each other; perhaps it's just a draw glitch when neighboring polys are more complex than they should be?

But anyway, thank you all for helping, and have a happy new year!

Hi,
I've looked into your file and it isn't a double edge.

The problem is that you probably had a mesh with a crease. Then you deleted one polygon which shared the crease and created a new polygon sharing that edge. But the new polygon by default has no creases set.

So the edges you mean share one polygon which has a crease and another which has no crease. So a grey and a blue line are drawn over each other.

That shouln't have any influence on the subdiv algorithm. Now the problem is that toggling the crease doesn't work anymore. Since troggling just shifts the crease to the other polygon of the mesh. :confused:

I will try to fix that problem.

Bye,
Martin

Ah haa, that's a good explanation, and it makes sense with how I was working. (And I was probably wrong about affecting the subdividing, but I have a couple tricky areas where I'm trying to get a certain edge, and that's where I noticed it). It won't be too hard to redraw the affected edges for now, and at least I know what to avoid.

Thanks very much!

Hi,
I've just released a new beta of v3.6 which should solve your problems.:smile: The create polygon and fill hole tools now use the crease/seams information of the neighboring polygons.

Bye,
Martin

Back