Gradients

Gradients

I appreciate the effects one can achieve with the gradient node in combination with other nodes.

I thought it may be nice if anyone who is aware of uses for it in various different ways
would post in this thread those tips or tuts and/or links to posts on how to use it.

I've added a post with a link to Frank Beckmann's post describing one of the effects one can achieve with this nobel node.

There are a few more I am aware of and I will post them as soon as I can.

My Best
Jeanny

Randomized Colors

I titled this post Randomized colors. If someone has a better name please let me know.

I've attached two screen shots of Frank Beckmann's descriptive photos to help describe it.

Please see linked thread where these are posted for larger images and details on how to accomplish this.

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11695#top

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Randomized Colors 1.png
    Randomized Colors 1.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 633
  • Randomized Colors 2.png
    Randomized Colors 2.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Jeanny –

Nice idea! I've been meaning to respond to this since you first posted it, but it's been a busy couple of weeks.

I'm sure there are many other ways to achieve this, but here's an example of using a gradient node to drive a cyclic animation.

neon_nodes.png

And the result:

neon.gif

Of course, you can use this approach to drive any material attribute. It would be interesting to animate bump maps, for example. The nice part is you don't have to set any keyframes.

Steve

How cool is that! Thanks Steve!

I tested it out and it works pretty slick.

How would you animate a bump map that way?

Sorry everyone. I haven't posted more links to gradients. Between health issues, trying to complete a Christmas Winter scene for the upcoming Christmas, trying to find the gradient information I want to link to and often getting sidetracked . . . wanting to quick test a new procedure that has been posted. I keep thinking I'll just quickly test the new procedure - then get caught up trying to create notes to remind myself how to do it.

I've attached a tip for some - reminder for others that you can use text graphics (not sure what to call them) for quick clip art type creations.
You can animate the text graphics the same way as smboerner animated the text letters.

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• St Pat Gradient Cyclic Animate.png
    St Pat Gradient Cyclic Animate.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Gradient + State + Vec2Float

All three boxes have the UV Mapper set for Flat — Center projection — Write UV coords.

In the Scaled Voronoi example, I scaled the box 300% and burned the transform.

The dots and transparency boxes have a separate solid color for the top poly, and the bottom poly on the transparency was deleted.

[edit: I think I forgot to set the Skylight for Raytrace + transparency when rendering the red box, but close enough.]

Credit to Frank Beckmann for previous tip:
http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86398&postcount=36

Attachments

• transparency.jpg
    transparency.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 493
  • scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 490
  • dots.jpg
    dots.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 499