Exporting .mtl and Texture Baking...

Exporting .mtl and Texture Baking...

Hi.. Some software the Texture Baking is not supported in Mac since the Mac does not support it.. Is this the case with Cheetah...??

Also, when I export as an .obj and a .mtl, the actual textures are not exported with it.. How can I achieve this...??

Thank you

Destiny..

Also, when I export as an .obj and a .mtl, the actual textures are not exported with it.. How can I achieve this...??
Texture baking is still working - never heard "Mac don´t support it".
OBJ+mtl: You have to make sure mesh&textures are at the same place on your computer.

Chees
Frank

Thank you Frank... Apparently software like Simlab Composer does not support Texture Baking since its supposed to be a Mac thing.. Its not supported.. I do not know or understand the tech reasons why...

I have made sure both the .obj and .mtl files are in the same folder, yet I do not get the textures created.

Destiny...

They are the textures within Cheetah.. I just add them.. Not my own..

I do not know how to add those textures separately, where are they located.. I thought exporting the .mtl did it automatically..

Destiny...

They are the textures within Cheetah.. I just add them.. Not my own..

I do not know how to add those textures separately, where are they located.. I thought exporting the .mtl did it automatically..

Destiny...
There lies the rub! You can´t export procedural materials unless you bake them to images.
The mtl part contains just basic material descriptions like color/specularity etc or infos about the linked image based textures. I´m under the impression you have a lot of shortcomings regarding 3d software.;)

Cheers
Frank

Well Frank, its true, I do have a lot of short coming with 3D software.. I did try to learn Cheetah but I stopped asking question about 2 years ago when I was made to feel stupid.. So I gave up on the Cheetah software.. i am only a Primary School teacher, with no training in 3D software... But I love to learn it...

But here I am again. Trying to learn it again.. I thought I was doing it right. I baked the textures as you can see.. But no textures are generated when I export the obj or mil files..

What do you think the novelist is doing wrong...

Destiny...

Attachments

• BakedTextures.jpg
    BakedTextures.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Geez!
Where to start?
In essence your model need UVs (UV coordinates are about what color information goes where onto the objects surface - in short) and that´s what the Baking-tag is for: Rendering light and color information - so your baking result is in first place a rendered image (SimLab-Composer is doing the same thing - more or less under the hood)

(It is not hard to find any infos about the baking procedure in the forum. Never mind and start here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?)p=94117&postcount=4)

1. Make Object editable, add procedural material.
2. Set up lighting.
3. Click "baking texture"
4. At the tag: Choose UV1 for the use of default UVs coming with parametric objects
Or if you have already introduced a UV-layout.
5. Hit Baking Texture icon.
6. save image.
7. Make new material and add rendered image to the diffuse channel.
8. Change new material against former procedural one at mesh.
9. Export (make sure OBJ+mtl+image files are at the same spot on your computer)

So in Marty´s case the baked image looks like: 1
And the rendered version with attached baked texture like: 2

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• MartysBakedTexture.png
    MartysBakedTexture.png
    377.2 KB · Views: 548
Well Frank, its true, I do have a lot of short coming with 3D software.. I did try to learn Cheetah but I stopped asking question about 2 years ago when I was made to feel stupid..

Don't be sensitive. :wink: Stupid is not the same as ignorant.I have been using Cheetah for years and I still ask questions on things I can't understand. I sometimes feel annoying but stupid I can do on my own. Be patient and it will come.

Hi Destiny, I'm sure no one here wants to make you feel stupid.
Heck the truth is we all have felt that way while trying to learn 3D.
Even Frank, who is dedicated teacher and answers any and all questions.
(Just look how many posts he has.)

I feel this way on a regular basis with UVs, and I haven't baked anything
but bread, so I'm watching and hoping to learn as well.

Please stick with it, I pledge to help when I understand well enough to answer.

Also remember it may just be just a language translation problem.
German to English sometimes alters the nuances of
communication, and may seem like an "attitude".

Hi all...

That you so much for taking the time to answer my post..

Yes ZooHead, I have noticed that about Germans.. :frown: On other forums.. But I never take to attitude very well... Which is the way I read it..

Its not been all bad chatting on this forum.. Actually it was Frank who pointed me in a direction of wonderment, a voyage I am still working through when I posted my need to have an interactive 3D models about 2 years ago. At that time I knew nothing about 3D PDFs. Since then I have come a long long way.. Interactive 3D PDF are a great way to showcase a model.. Particularly using Simulation.. You can investigate that here..
http://www.simlabforum.com/viewforum.php?f=23

I really wanted to make my own models since most of what I use are from Grab CAD.. I have other 3D software like Maya, and Hexagon, but the only one I ever found I could work with was Rhino.. They have now release a Mac version so I might buy a copy.. Modo is just wonderful but far too expensive for me..

Cheetah seems to do both soft-form and CAD type models.. As far as I can see viewing the gallery.. It's going to be hard for me to learn since I have had no formal training in CAD.. I will ask annoying questions.. It's going to be hard to ask the right questions too..

Thank you uncle808us for you comments.. I will be sure to ask you for help..

I have yet to try out your workflow Frank but I will try over the weekend.. The main reason why I wanted the .mtl is to use the js.three to rotate the model with a texture..

Thank you

Destiny...

BTW.. How can I set this post to receive a notification of a response..?

Last edited:
Thank you Frank.. Yes, it was already set but my issue was my email address.. I created my account years ago but I never updated my email address......

All good now...

Destiny...

:smile: Hi Destiny & anyone else this may help.

I am also sensitive. I think that is more inherent in us woman than men.
I have to admit that at first I was very hurt by some of the responses to my posts.

I understand now that it's hard enough communicating via text much less adding language barriers
with less than perfect translations as Zoohead pointed out.
To top it off the differences between male and female characteristics play a big factor.
I also understand now that someone who is so advanced in computer technology and in our case 3D software
will tend to take for granted that we already know some of the more basic and intermediate procedures.

As I struggle through learning 3D I must concede it seems men have a superior understanding for math & engineering.
They seem to have a natural insight for it.
I am thankful for their prowess in this field and greatly appreciate their willingness to share their knowledge with us.

I still have my more vulnerable times. My thanks to all of you men who have helped me through those times.
Destiny if you find you're having one of those times please feel free to email Old Granny here
and I'll be glad to offer a little TLC that I think us women often need.

I still want so badly to learn 3D creation & animation to try to use it to promote the softer side of life.

My Best Wishes to you for all you try to accomplish
Granny Balogh-Smith

Thank you Jeanny

I am sure the boys will be more considerate this time round.. I have learnt to be more ... resilient..

I will be working on Franks work flow over the weekend.. Hopefully I will gain some useful skills..

I hope to showcase my efforts soon..

Destiny..

Oops! I fear I did not explain myself correctly. I didn't mean to imply that the men were inconsiderate.
I meant to express that even as hard as we may try to be resilient, sometimes women are a bit more sensitive.

Speaking from my protective granny standpoint & other woman I have talked with -
bing a woman we are a bit more vulnerable and sometimes need a bit more TLC.

I hope this translates as I intended it. I do not mean to insult anyone.

My Best
Jeanny

Ok.. I got up to No. 7 and now totally lost.. I saved the image, Rust.c3dmat but what is the "defused channel" ??

Destiny..

Geez!
Where to start?
In essence your model need UVs (UV coordinates are about what color information goes where onto the objects surface - in short) and that´s what the Baking-tag is for: Rendering light and color information - so your baking result is in first place a rendered image (SimLab-Composer is doing the same thing - more or less under the hood)

(It is not hard to find any infos about the baking procedure in the forum. Never mind and start here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?)p=94117&postcount=4)

1. Make Object editable, add procedural material.
2. Set up lighting.
3. Click "baking texture"
4. At the tag: Choose UV1 for the use of default UVs coming with parametric objects
Or if you have already introduced a UV-layout.
5. Hit Baking Texture icon.
6. save image.
7. Make new material and add rendered image to the diffuse channel.
8. Change new material against former procedural one at mesh.
9. Export (make sure OBJ+mtl+image files are at the same spot on your computer)

So in Marty´s case the baked image looks like: 1
And the rendered version with attached baked texture like: 2

Cheers
Frank

OK Frank I found that.. But I must be doing it all wrong.. So I am going to have to start over again.. I will just start with a small primitive object.. Seem to me to start with Marty is too hard.. When I added the material to the Defuse it created a panel node... But when I exported the mtl and obj there were not materials.. I am missing the point somewhere.... :(

Destiny..

Attachments

• mtl-testing.jpg
    mtl-testing.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 304
The result of the baking process is a rendered image - you need then a new material - connect the saved rendering to the diffuse channel in exchange to the former procedural texture.

Cheers
Frank

Back