Cheetah3D 7 - Free Upgrade Promo - Mac App Store

Cheetah3D 7 - Free Upgrade Promo - Mac App Store

Hi,
I have some informations about the upcoming Cheetah3D 7. Since Cheetah3D 7 isn't too far away anymore I've decided to start a free upgrade promo. Everybody who bought Cheetah3D 6 (full version or upgrade) after April, 1st 2015 will be entitled to a free upgrade to Cheetah3D 7. The registration numbers I've sent out since April, 1st 2015 will automatically work with Cheetah3D 7 once it is available.

The main features of Cheetah3D 7 will be:
  • New renderer
  • NGon booleans
  • Movie textures
  • Soft selections
  • Collada import
  • Layers
  • Full OpenEXR 2 workflow
  • Big UI update
  • and much much more

You might have noticed that Cheetah3D is no longer available for purchase in the Mac App Store. I've withdrawn Cheetah3D from the Mac App Store and I currently have no plans to return. Therefore Cheetah3D 7 won't be sold via the MAS too.

Kind regards
Martin

Hi,
I have some informations about the upcoming Cheetah3D 7. Since Cheetah3D 7 isn't too far away anymore I've decided to start a free upgrade promo. Everybody who bought Cheetah3D 6 (full version or upgrade) after April, 1st 2015 will be entitled to a free upgrade to Cheetah3D 7. The registration numbers I've sent out since April, 1st 2015 will automatically work with Cheetah3D 7 once it is available.

The main features of Cheetah3D 7 will be:
  • New renderer
  • NGon booleans
  • Movie textures
  • Soft selections
  • Collada import
  • Layers
  • Full OpenEXR 2 workflow
  • Big UI update
  • and much much more

You might have noticed that Cheetah3D is no longer available for purchase in the Mac App Store. I've withdrawn Cheetah3D from the Mac App Store and I currently have no plans to return. Therefore Cheetah3D 7 won't be sold via the MAS too.

Kind regards
Martin

Good news about not selling on the App store I am not a fan of the app store.:icon_thumbup:

I don't get really excited much anymore but... :icon_thumbup::):icon_thumbup:

Thanks for the info Doctor.

neat! what's the upgrade path for long-time customers? buy another license now, get v7 later, or wait for v7 release and then upgrade?

neat! what's the upgrade path for long-time customers? buy another license now, get v7 later, or wait for v7 release and then upgrade?

Hi,
it plays no role how old your license is. Even a Cheetah3D 1.0 license is fine for the Upgrade.

Since the Cheetah3D 6.x Upgrade now automatically includes the free Upgrade to Cheetah3D 7, waiting doesn't make too much sense anymore.

Bye
Martin

Terribly upset in the decision to not use MAS as a distribution channel. I don't buy software if it's not on MAS. There's just too many consumer and security benefits to not do so. Consistent update mechanism, ability to install on any Mac with my user account, no clunky serial numbers to keep track of. I'm done with that kind of digital purchasing, and sadly this means that I likely won't be upgrading to version 7. I'd much rather pay you full price to stay *in* the MAS than to mess with serial numbers to get upgrade pricing.

It's really a shame to see good quality apps leave. Makes me glad that there are good, small team-driven design apps like Affinity Designer and Pixelmator committed to it. I'll continue to support those guys.

Last edited:
Hi,

Hi Martin,
Could we know what motivated your decision ?

Hi,
I have some informations about the upcoming Cheetah3D 7...

Good news anyway !
Regards

I am really looking forward to Cheetah 3D 7.

I am the exact opposite. I will gladly buy direct.

@marcedwards; I find this comment extremely narrow minded - How can you possibly be "the exact opposite" other than in spite? At what cost other than ideological is it to you if Cheetah 3D is available through other channels such as the Mac App Store?

@Martin; Personally I am in 100% agreement with kepardue; I am disappointed in that you have decided to jump of the MAS bandwagon. I will not upgrade to Cheetah 7 unless it is available through MAS. As the casual user I am, you will probably not miss me and I am sure you have your reasons to why you decided to opt out of MAS. I for one would very much like to know why, and I hope you can take the time to describe your reasoning for this decision.

All the best.

It's really a shame to see good quality apps leave.

A great article that outlines the difficulties that developers of High End Apps face being part of the MAS. It doesn't take sides, but considers the whole eco-system of the OS environment and consumers and developers.

http://blog.helftone.com/mac-app-store-the-subtle-exodus/

I would consider Cheetah a High End App and I am sure Martin did not make the choice lightly. I would suggest that Martin has long proven his salt as a developer committed to quality, safety and customer features. I will gladly support him outside of the MAS.

A great article that outlines the difficulties that developers of High End Apps face being part of the MAS. It doesn't take sides, but considers the whole eco-system of the OS environment and consumers and developers.

http://blog.helftone.com/mac-app-store-the-subtle-exodus/

I would consider Cheetah a High End App and I am sure Martin did not make the choice lightly. I would suggest that Martin has long proven his salt as a developer committed to quality, safety and customer features. I will gladly support him outside of the MAS.

Trials, upgrades, and customer reviews are hardly reasons to exclude yourself from a high profile distribution channel. If you want to offer upgrades and trials outside of the MAS, that's fine. But why limit your distribution for those that *want* to buy it through the MAS store at the regular cost for those reasons? The app is priced reasonably enough that I'd prefer to pay full price for the upgrade, thereby offsetting the 30% that Apple keeps and possibly putting more money in Martin's pocket.

The *only* thing that makes sense is if it were too hard to make Cheetah3D 7 sandboxed. I don't know enough about app development to know whether Cheetah3D would use features that go outside of the sandboxed environment, but that Cheetah3D 6 exists in the Mac App Store convinces me that it's possible. But for consumers, sandboxing makes sense. I don't want apps being naughty on my Mac, whether intentional or unintentional. Perhaps Apple could be convinced to refine the sandboxing requirements to allow more flexibility to developers while keeping the systems safe, but abandoning the platform wholesale seems to be a terrible way of effecting change to improve the platform.

I, too, would like some explanation as to why this decision was made, and would hope that it could be reconsidered.

There's always more below the surface, I purchased Plant Factory
from e-on and they don't do the MAS thing either for some reason.

I don't know of any other program that competes with it so I had to go outside the MAS.

If e-on, makers of Vue, are outside MAS, something
is going on and apple needs to look into it.
And come on, Cheetah is Mac Only, that is the definition of ludicrous.

Will there be an upgrade discount? And if so, how will it work for MAS versions (I bought mine 10/2014 on the MAS), i.e. since I don't have a license having purchased from it?

Thanks!

John

I can honestly understand a developers frustration with the MAS. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons and hope you make the right decision for the long term future. Who really knows if it's the way to move Cheetah forward, but I respect Martin's decision to go his own way, I'm sure he gave it plenty of thought.

Well said, and I totally agree.

@marcedwards; I find this comment extremely narrow minded - How can you possibly be "the exact opposite" other than in spite? At what cost other than ideological is it to you if Cheetah 3D is available through other channels such as the Mac App Store?

Delayed updates — I've been in a situation before where a critical app in my workflow had a crashing bug that was affecting me. The developer fixed the issue and released the update immediately, but Mac App Store customers had to wait for 2 weeks for the fix (yes, I believe they requested an expedited review). For apps that are on and off the Mac App Store, developers sometimes delay their web release until they know the Mac App Store app has been approved. Doing so means web version customers suffer.

Sandboxing — Many tools I rely on have been crippled due to sandboxing. Most have now left the Mac App Store, which is good news, because features that are not possible with sandboxing can be added or re-enabled. For apps that are on and off the Mac App Store, sandboxing can mean web version customers suffer.

Distraction — Building a Mac App Store version means writing code, making decisions, testing and designing for things like sandboxing, delayed upgrades and other factors. Every second spent on that is time not spent improving other aspects of Cheetah 3D.

Exposure — I don't believe the Mac App Store does much to increase exposure for an app like Cheetah 3D, especially coupled with the fact there are no trials on the Mac App Store. $100 apps aren't impulse purchases.

Profitability — I like Cheetah 3D and I would like to see its continued development. As a customer, it's good that Martin doesn't need to give Apple 30% of every sale.

So yes, the Mac App Store version existing will likely affect web version customers in a negative way. There is no spite in my comments — this is the reality of the situation.

Is purchasing via the Mac App Store easier? Yes. Is installing via the Mac App Store easier? Mostly (1Password definitely makes managing serial numbers pretty easy).

@Martin; Personally I am in 100% agreement with kepardue; I am disappointed in that you have decided to jump of the MAS bandwagon.

I would like to hear why as well. But, at least the decision has been made in an informed way.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm sorry but I'm currently very short in time. But don't worry I will offer a detailed explanation why I removed Cheetah3D from the MAS in a week or so.

As the decision was anything but easy the explanation will probably become a little bit lengthy.:redface:

Bye
Martin

Back