Cheetah3D 7 - Free Upgrade Promo - Mac App Store

Hi,
I'm sorry but I'm currently very short in time. But don't worry I will offer a detailed explanation why I removed Cheetah3D from the MAS in a week or so.

As the decision was anything but easy the explanation will probably become a little bit lengthy.:redface:

I'm certainly curious. I can imagine a lot of reasons why developers would opt out of the MAS. As a software consumer, I for one would probably switch all my licenses over to the MAS if Apple allowed upgrade pricing (not having to track down installers is awesome).

Sketch did their "upgrade" from 2 to 3 by simply forcing users to buy a new license. That was kind of annoying, but in the end I paid because it's such a good program.

I'm in love with Cheetah since two years now, but when I was looking for a new modeler for my small family games, and also was new to the Mac, the MAS has some kind of serious and thrust to me and I think I haven't bought it from the net! :(

I think if Cheetah isn't anymore at MAS, there will be less private customers like me who first look for a quick&save solution in the MAS.
Also you can do promotions directly to the living room of millions of Mac Users, otherwise only special interest searchers will find it in the net!
(btw: what about a Lite Edition @MAS with option to upgrade over the Net, to be named there?)

I hope this isn't the first step to close the doors?!

I think there isn't much of a chance for someone to notice that a particular app has left the MAS. But on the other hand everyone should become aware easily of an update.

That's why I don't get the reason to drop cheetah from the app store before getting 7 out ... Even 7 no longer beeing on the MAS. I think better would be keeping 6 on MAS and releasing a last free update providing a 'Update to 7' menu command or something like that. Not sure if MAS policies allow that kind of thing. But at least all current users would become aware of the new version then.

BTW I too prefer MAS for pratical reasons ... Curious to learn about the reasons for opting out.

Regards.

Hallo,

wie läuft denn der Update auf Version 7, wenn man über den Mac AppStore gekauft hat?

Viele Grüße

nach 1 / 4 / 2015 gekauft

Ich glaube, alles wird gut.
Cheetah3D ->
Nach Updates suchen...

wird es bei der Freigabe aktualisieren

haben sie einen guten tag,

John

Last edited:
nach 1 / 4 / 2015 gekauft

Ich glaube, alles wird gut.
Cheetah3D ->
Nach Updates suchen...

wird es bei der Freigabe aktualisieren

haben sie einen guten tag,

John

Ich habe das Programm schon länger, also ein kostenfreies Update wird es sicher nicht geben. Updates sind ja in der Regel im Preis reduziert. Wie klappt das dann im Mac AppStore? Muss man dann wieder die Vollversion kaufen?

I imagine Martin has done the math and the additional sales via the MAS don't increase his overall revenue, and then there's the whole issue of upgrade pricing. I think maybe Apple hoped developers to switch over to an in-app purchase model for handling new features (which would encourage developers to support older versions of their software) but maybe that's giving them too much credit.

For a long time, Apple hasn't bothered with upgrades on its own products (e.g. iWork) which is great for them since they make their money on hardware, but sucks for software developers.

I imagine Martin has done the math and the additional sales via the MAS don't increase his overall revenue, and then there's the whole issue of upgrade pricing. I think maybe Apple hoped developers to switch over to an in-app purchase model for handling new features (which would encourage developers to support older versions of their software) but maybe that's giving them too much credit.

For a long time, Apple hasn't bothered with upgrades on its own products (e.g. iWork) which is great for them since they make their money on hardware, but sucks for software developers.

I totally get Martin's standpoint and support his decision. I have no problems buying software directly. Minecraft and several other great pieces of software are done this way. I think what everyone is wondering is what the upgrade path will be for those with previous App Store purchases. No doubt Martin will have an answer when 7 is released.

Ich habe das Programm schon länger, also ein kostenfreies Update wird es sicher nicht geben. Updates sind ja in der Regel im Preis reduziert. Wie klappt das dann im Mac AppStore? Muss man dann wieder die Vollversion kaufen?

==================================================

Sie sollten nicht auf die Vollversion kaufen.
Updates sind zu einem reduzierten Preis. Derzeit 59 $. direkt
Ich stelle mir vor Martin wird App Store Nutzern helfen, einmal 7 freigegeben.

Haben Sie einen guten Tag,
John

Hi,

The main features of Cheetah3D 7 will be:
  • New renderer
  • NGon booleans
  • Movie textures
  • Soft selections
  • Collada import
  • Layers
  • Full OpenEXR 2 workflow
  • Big UI update
  • and much much more

Kind regards
Martin

Hi Martin,
Any chance for a "teaser" screen shot of the new UI?

Apple will not tell Martin who had purchased Cheetah3D from MAS.

I am willing to purchase a new license to support Martin's future development, since Cheetah3D 6.3.2 really helped me a lot, thank you, Martin.

Apple will not tell Martin who had purchased Cheetah3D from MAS.

I had completely forgotten about this. It is the same with iTunes. An artist who sells a song through iTunes has no way of knowing WHO purchased their music and has no ability to directly market to their customer/fan. This may have worked in the brick & mortar retail outlet days, but times have changed and marketing strategies have changed as well. This "policy" that Apple continues to hold on to is outdated considering the digital download / virtual store model they promote. I know we haven't heard Martin's official reasons, but this alone is HUGE when it comes to being an independent artist/developer distributing digital copies of their work.

I had completely forgotten about this. It is the same with iTunes. An artist who sells a song through iTunes has no way of knowing WHO purchased their music and has no ability to directly market to their customer/fan.

Apple may not disclose such information to the developer, but from the purchaser's point they should have a receipt of some sort to be able to show Martin so at the very least they're not paying full price, but rather upgrade pricing, I would imagine.

Apple taking a 30% cut alone is worth selling directly. Most people looking for 3D Animation Software will Google for it and Cheetah3D is in the top two hits when looking up "3D Animation Mac".

considering that nonsense like the mac app store is one of the things that has pushed me away from apple products, I don't have a problem with Martin selling directly. cheetah3d is one of the only apps that i keep an os x machine for. (cheetah is just too much better than blender to fully walk away from os x)

i will be happy to hear about Martin's reasoning behind his decision to leave the MAS.

considering that nonsense like the mac app store is one of the things that has pushed me away from apple products

"nonsense"? Really?

What's nonsensical about buying software that's guaranteed to be free from malware and adware, from a trusted source, that auto-updates?

I can understand why it's a pain from a developer's point of view (review process, lack of upgrade support, restrictions on toolchain) but how on Earth does it hurt users in any way? It's not like you can't install software from other sources.

BTW from a developer's point of view it handles licensing and copy protection nicely. While it may cost the developer 30%, this is actually far less than a developer typically pays for anything other than direct sales.

I had completely forgotten about this. It is the same with iTunes. An artist who sells a song through iTunes has no way of knowing WHO purchased their music and has no ability to directly market to their customer/fan.

When picking between a customer's rights and a vendor's rights, Apple tends to side with the customer. (Do I want people marketing to me?)

If Martin wants to communicate with C3D customers he can easily do it through the App store (developers do this kind of thing all the time — release a new version of the application that has a splash screen or whatever). He can do this without being given private information from customers.

Similarly, there's nothing stopping an application developer from putting a "subscribe to mailing list" button in the splash screen of their app. Again, lots of developers do this. The difference is it's transparent, and the user opts in voluntarily.

If I thought that buying music online could potentially put me on a mailing list without asking I would be very annoyed.

"nonsense"? Really?

What's nonsensical about buying software that's guaranteed to be free from malware and adware, from a trusted source, that auto-updates?

You left out quite a bit. Everything that you describe is fine and works seamlessly on say Ubuntu. But the Mac App Store app is basically a store kiosk just as iTunes became. I have no interest in dealing with that nonsense. My computer is my tool, not an additional revenue stream for a company that used to make great software.

It was never my intention of starting a MAS discussion by resurrecting this thread. I merely wanted to let someone know they probably weren't going to have to pay full price when they upgraded.

While, it would be interesting to know why such a decision has been made, especially to those of us who are developers, I don't see it is any of our business why Martin has taken the step to remove his application from the store.

I have to say I don't think I have purchased any applications other and Apple applications from the Mac Store. Though I am considering Affinity designer, and one other, but the other one has a direct purchase option, so I am more likely to buy it directly.

I am looking forward to the new features, and hoping for some teaser trailers/art work :D:D

Thanks
Gavin

Back