Cheetah3D 7 - Free Upgrade Promo - Mac App Store

Hi Martin,

I was just wondering out of the blue if Cheetah 3D will take advantage of the Embree raytracing kernel by Intel (https://embree.github.io/).

Thanks Martin and keep up the great work :icon_thumbup:

You will be happy to hear that v7 uses embree to some degree. I didn't fully integrate embree into Cheetah3D but I'm using some of it's optimizations. Although these are just a few hundert lines of code they add quite some spice. Especially when rendering scenes with complex scenes.:smile:

Intel did a really amazing job with embree. It's no surprise that it's heavily used these days. :smile: :smile:

Bye
Martin

Embree has a Hair/Fur feature, how is the chance Cheetah3D will use it?

https://embree.github.io/papers/2014-HPG-hair.pdf

I currently don't plan to fullly integrate embree into Cheetah3D. But hair/fur can be quite easily integrated into my new renderer since it's design is way more flexible. But hair/fur won't make it in v7.0 anymore. v7.0 already delayed more than enough.:redface:

Thanks for the link to the paper. It was an really interesting read.

Bye
Martin

I currently don't plan to fullly integrate embree into Cheetah3D. But hair/fur can be quite easily integrated into my new renderer since it's design is way more flexible. But hair/fur won't make it in v7.0 anymore. v7.0 already delayed more than enough.:redface:

Thanks for the link to the paper. It was an really interesting read.

Bye
Martin

I have been testing embree through it's implementation in Strata 8.1.

I has a pretty significant impact (for the better) on rendering times. Here is an example I just posted on StrataCafe. I am looking forward to Cheetah v.7 as soon as it is ready.

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=32340

You will be happy to hear that v7 uses embree to some degree. I didn't fully integrate embree into Cheetah3D but I'm using some of it's optimizations. Although these are just a few hundert lines of code they add quite some spice. Especially when rendering scenes with complex scenes.:smile:

Intel did a really amazing job with embree. It's no surprise that it's heavily used these days. :smile: :smile:

Bye
Martin

Great news Martin, love to see in action with next release, will be a very promissing 2016.
Thanks

For what it's worth, I support and applaud Martin's decision to leave the Mac App Store. The details have already been discussed extensively above, so my comments will focus on the bottom line, which I see as....

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That's how I see Apple these days. As individual people I'm sure Apple employees are as cool as anyone else. But the company as a whole has reached a scale of success which predictably breeds bulk blindness, arrogance and sloppiness in any collection of human beings. As your grandpa might say, they've simply gotten too big for their britches.

In fairness to Apple, this syndrome would probably happen to just about anyone to experience that level of success. I sold a small tech startup once to a larger company, and it kinda happened to me. Even as just one little guy on a very big stage, I sorta started thinking I was really hot #$%^^.

I haven't purchased anything from Apple in 16 years, and don't use the Mac App Store unless the app is question is important to me and there is no other option.

To me, Apple is the personality of Steve Jobs blown up to enormous proportions. Truly gifted designers, absolutely brilliant marketers, and not very nice people (as a company). I don't hate'em, but I do try to avoid'em as much as possible.

Not sure why you think of this.
While others leave the MAS as well like Sketch for instance, Martin have to find a way to maintain/update the MAS-licenses.

Cheers
Frank

Sketch is a good example because it gave mac app store users are license and even automatically activated it.

This way, it's still possible to download Sketch from the mac app store and then update it to the non-app store version.

Sketch is a good example because it gave mac app store users are license and even automatically activated it.

This way, it's still possible to download Sketch from the mac app store and then update it to the non-app store version.

Hi,
since it's still possible to download Cheetah3D 6 from the Mac App Store via the "Purchased" apps tab there is no real need to transfer the MAS licenses to the download license from my webpage.

The Cheetah3D 7 Upgrade price is the save for both licenses. No matter if you bought Cheetah3D 6 via the MAS or via my webpage. It's $59.

Bye
Martin

Thanks for the hint. But I've already seen it before. Even my local newspaper reported about it which was very wired.

Since the app store fee was just a minor reason to leave the MAS that price cut doesn't change my decision. Even at 5% I wouldn't consider returning.

Back