"The Airborne Liquids Technique"

"The Airborne Liquids Technique"

Okay so Frank will probably kill me for this one, but I had to share it.
:cool:
I call it the "Airborne Liquids technique". It's definitely a "hack" approach, nothing to be respected at all, BUT it could sure come in handy when you need it sometime. Besides that, I am sure all the imaginative and technically proficient members here will expand on the idea and do way cooler things than the simple example I am about to show you.

Waiver: I am a noobie to Cheetah 3D, and I found this thing totally by accident.

Here's what you do:

Create ball> create isosurface> drag ball into isosurface>make ball editable>select ball and pull with magnet tool>select isosurface>make editable>apply subD>apply material.

Note that you can get different effects by resizing the magnet tool, and you'll have to mess around a little bit and tweak things after you make the isosurface editable, e.g. make some liquid beads smaller, move things around, etc., but it's a cool little trick that is fun to play with and could definitely save some time for specific projects.

I hope this helps someone here, like you've all helped me.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• GrapeSoda.jpg
    GrapeSoda.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Isosphere.jpg
    Isosphere.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 979
  • FullAnhilation.jpg
    FullAnhilation.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 966
Examples

Blood (gory)
Bubblegum (exploded bubble!)
Chocolate
Caramel
Lava (volcano eruption)

Attachments

• Blood.jpg
    Blood.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 966
  • Bubblegum.jpg
    Bubblegum.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 969
  • Chocolate.jpg
    Chocolate.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 990
  • Caramel.jpg
    Caramel.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 962
  • lava.jpg
    lava.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 991
More examples

Mercury
Solder
Tar
Water

Attachments

• Mercury.jpg
    Mercury.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 945
  • Solder.jpg
    Solder.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 962
  • Tar.jpg
    Tar.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 962
  • Water.jpg
    Water.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 960
Hey thanks guys, but really I didn't try to figure this one out, I just "Forrest Gump'd" my way into it by accident. I guess that maybe that's what happens when you're a beginner, and you don't know all the "rules" yet, so you break the rules without even knowing that you are breaking them, and sometimes it leads to stuff like this...:p
I think that this is just a weird little thing that Cheetah does with just the right commands in the right order. It's not supposed to do it, it just does.
That's why I think there is even more potential in Cheetah than some people realize..."undiscovered" stuff that Martin never intended for it to do, and that all of us don't even know that it is capable of...yet.
:D
Like...bullet holes.

P.S Zoo, I checked out that thread..blows my mind that Paul was 10 when he did that...wow!
Thanks for letting me know about it.

Attachments

• BulletHoles.jpg
    BulletHoles.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:
Nice use of the metaballs tool. For just being sculpted, those liquid splatters look like fluid sims.

Nope no metaball tag on the metal plate. That one was simply pulled in a few areas straight back with the magnet tool from the backside after doing the isosurface thing the same as in the sphere example. I changed the size of the magnet tool a few times I think, and then when I was done creating the holes, I just deleted all the "airborne" chunks and then added a metal texture and subD.

Attachments

• plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 889
  • plate2.jpg
    plate2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 864
  • plate3.jpg
    plate3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 878
  • plate4.jpg
    plate4.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 876
  • plate5.jpg
    plate5.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 864
Last edited:
Thanks and you're very welcome Ronnie!

I'm looking forward to see what you do with it - please be sure to post a link with the results. (it's almost like you could simply create the same video, but run it backwards for a "bursting liquids" effect...I like it!)

Metaballs & Particles

You can´t have "metapolyhedrons" as far as I know (which is not very far) :frown:
The rest works OK. Sample is based on the .jas file in the C3D Help menue.
Servus from Vienna

Attachments

• SS10.png
    SS10.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 556
  • Meatball X10.jas.zip
    125.7 KB · Views: 495
Easter Eggs...

Based on Larry´s method / Airborne Liquids. Thank you for sharing:smile:
PS: The .jas file probably won´t work as I have organised my scripts differently.
It is just a tapered sphere (= egg) plus a magnet distortion which is point recorded as 2 keyframes to animate the trail of the yolk. I also used a script (courtesy Hiroto Tsubaki) for the exploding shell.

Attachments

• Meatball X05.jas.zip
    110.2 KB · Views: 473
  • SS05.png
    SS05.png
    440.1 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Very cool! I was hoping more people would jump on this thread and find some uses for this little technique, and you didn't disappoint - thanks for sharing Helmut!

* The magnet tool has been reorganised in C3D.V7 and is now part of the brush function.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 07.13.33.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 07.13.33.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 443
Back