object cut by a plane

object cut by a plane

I have a very simple question.

I want to cut/split an object (raw polygon object) by a plane. Is that possible? I guess it is but I can't find the appropriate method. Thanx in advance!

Cheers,
Niclas

I'm not aware that this is possible at the moment - after all, Martin is still working hard on improving Cheetah, and it by no means has the full list of features that he wants.

There's two methods I can suggest, though:

1. Place the plane where you want it, and then use Ring Cut to slice the entire object, as close as you can to where the actual plane is. It might help to offset the plane just a little bit, so that you can actually cut where you need to.

2. For more precision, cut where you need to using Scalpel, keeping as close to the plane as you can.

Both of these tools are explained in detail in the documentation that came with the Cheetah software.

Hope this helps.

plane cut

Boolean Creator maybe work for you.

Boolean Creator with raw polygon object for target and Plane Object (orientation:Y) for surface to cut.

planeCut.jpg

Thank you for your suggestions! Unfortunately, I don't think Ring Cut or Scalpel helps me in my case. And I don't want to use booleans either as I want to keep all objects as simple as possible at this stage.

Here is what I have to do. I've found a way but it is laborious as I have to do the same operation many times (many objects). And I'm not sure if the cut will be exactly along the plane as I want. I manually put in points where the intersection seem to be. I create a new polygon along the plane using the new points. Then I remove the points I don't want and recreate new polygons instead of those that vanished along with the deleted points.

snitt.jpg

Is there a smarter way to do this? If not I would be glad if this would be a forthcoming feature of this excellent software. :)

Hi.
you are right. A tool which can perfom such a task is desireable and on my todo list. It just might take some time.

Meanwhile you can perform the technique you explained with much less mouse clicks. First you should start with the "Skalpel" tool to insert the new points. Than delete the polygons you don't need any longer. Finally use the "Fill hole" tool to close the hole (object). So you can avoid rebuilding all polygons.

Hope that helps.

By,
Martin

Back