Westminster Bridge

Attachments

• LondonBridge.png
    LondonBridge.png
    254.1 KB · Views: 511
I´d start with a disc instead. Select+delete what you don´t need - scale in component-mode to your liking. Cover the outer edges - scale´m flat - pull out - mirror all polys and adjust the length.
That´s a rough briefing:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• WestminsterBridge.png
    WestminsterBridge.png
    16 KB · Views: 519
I have removed some of the polygons now i have shadow areas. Is there a way to fix these areas?

Attachments

• LondonBridgePart.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 297
Lower the Smooth angle a bit- Shading of complex nGons in connection with all kind of angles is often problematic - but I don´t think you will see it when it´s textured.

Cheers
Frank

* The WM Bridge (as shown by your link in the 1st posting) is a wrought iron bridge and consists of sets of individual arches which span the distance between the piers.
* My approach in modelling this would be spline based:
1 use a semicircle for the arch (red line)
2 use 1/2 of a square for the portral frame (green line)
3 chose the path creator with an initially simple rectangular profile to create the structural members of the bridge
4 use a box, made ediable for the piers (they can be quite simple at the start)
5 chose the array modifier to generate n piers across the river Thames
6 chose the array modifier to generate a set of arches to connect two adjoining piers. I have used 8 arches, this may have to be modified
7 chose an orthogonal array modifier to multiply this “single span” unit to cover the distance between the banks

* As you proceed with fine-tuning the simplex profile(s) of the wrought iron arches and girders (currently the rectangle marked by the widget) can be made more complicated to simulate the Gothic Revivalist profiles actually used.
* The tracery in the spandrel is a bit more tricky. However, a single model plus symmetry plus array modifiers makes this manageable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 21.12.16.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 21.12.16.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 194
  • WMBridge 01.jas.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Tracery quickie (very simplified)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 21.56.20.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 21.56.20.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 206
  • WMBridge 02.jas.zip
    28 KB · Views: 181
Hi Helmut.
You were in a hurry aren´t you? You have introduced some "nasty features" in your model: double spline points, non-manifolds. ;)
The Ellipse.js spline script is perfect for the arch profile - don´t know where your double zenith point came from - it´s not in the script.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Westminster.jpeg
    Westminster.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 177
Nonsense, this works perfectly well if you embed 3D space in a gravitationally warped 11 dimensional quantum continuum:tongue:

Seriously: My apologies, I was on another problem in my head and did some hasty fumbling. Maybe I should start at the Noob C3D level again.
Prost nach Hamburg

Back