Build a Car-Workshop

The PDF is coming along slowly but surely.

After today's work session I built a quick Suburban/Bronco.

Attachments

• Suburban.jpg
    Suburban.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 853
reply to posts

Great work ZH. I stumbled on your workshop in tuts yesterday. You make it look so easy! ;-) I always run into trouble once I start adding detail. Can't wait to see some interiors.

Thanks Greg, as they say, the devil is in the details.
I've got a few methods to treat the madness of seams
and windows, and I hope to develop more as I proceed.

Last edited:
What I'd like to see is you tackling the next level of detail (pick a car, any car). Some of the models (especially in your funny scene with cars in the wastepaper basket) look kind of promising, but I think it would be more interesting to see one car done a little bit more precisely, tacking things like bumpers, grills, and so on.

Car modeling is tough. I've had little success modeling even modestly detailed cars, but I created my own low-poly car factory some time ago, for a game I never got around to coding.

Attachments

• vehicles.png
    vehicles.png
    476.2 KB · Views: 831
What I'd like to see is you tackling the next level of detail (pick a car, any car). Some of the models (especially in your funny scene with cars in the wastepaper basket) look kind of promising, but I think it would be more interesting to see one car done a little bit more precisely, tacking things like bumpers, grills, and so on.

Car modeling is tough. I've had little success modeling even modestly detailed cars, but I created my own low-poly car factory some time ago, for a game I never got around to coding.

I see you have your own fleet, nice mix of vehicles.

The next phase will be about details, I'm working on my new Mac now so I hope to accelerate may pace again.
The PDFs are taking to long and starting to feel like work so I may switch to a more comprehensive video style.

My intention has been to show how various vehicles can be made
from the base box model, while having some fun of course.
Up until now I've built each one from scratch. Now I plan on making three base
models to start from, with slight variations, to evaluate there strengths and weaknesses.

reply to post

I enjoyed the videos… I do wish there was audio. There are still a few areas that trip me up.

Still learning.

I enjoyed the videos… I do wish there was audio. There are still a few areas that trip me up.

Still learning.

Thanks Greg, I'm glad you liked them. The PDF should clear up those problem areas.
I'm going to work on producing better videos for the next level.

Great stuff! Need video 3 now to show how to do the small details, like windows and crease lines for doors and bonnet (hood).

Love it so far, learned a lot.
Thanks!

Thanks Paul, I'm happy to hear you like it.

I'm trying to finish the PDF, and then more videos with sound this time.
I found out the hard way that the new Mac Pros don't have a microphone
input so I had to get a USB interface to use my old mics.

another reason

Another reason I'm hanging onto my 2008 Mac Pro. The original video card went bad (didn't know about the recall) and I put a new one in and a USB 3.0 card. I still love this thing, although I've had a 1920x1024 Cheetah render going now for 158,946 seconds…

reply to post

Thanks ZH, there were a few moves I didn't know. Very helpful. Wrapping my head around Apple Motion 5 these days, as well as perfecting my DIY tonearm build.

Attachments

• voth_12InchWellTemperedClone.jpg
    voth_12InchWellTemperedClone.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 749

I'm actually drooling over that picture. I see two
tone arms...is that a golf ball?...DIY you say? :eek:

Thanks for the image Greg.

Any more pics?

reply to post

The table is a 50 year old Neat Shield MO-19 idler drive that I literally saved from being tossed in a dumpster and brought back to life with help and some good guessing. I modified a 25 year old Well Tempered arm to the current WT design esthetic with pillar and golf ball (Bill Firebaugh is a true genius) and mounted it in the rear position, hoping to eventually find a 12" pro arm for the primary spot.

I eventually decided to make a 12" variation myself. I decided to make it easily re-positionable and removable... after reading about the Viv Rigid Float arm. The Japanese designer of that arm believes in a different approach to set up and tracking with no angle to the cartridge (mounted parallel to the armtube) and the arm positioned for underhang rather than compensating with the usual overhang method. I've set mine up that way now and it sounds fantastic.

Working on a new headshell idea and will re-wire the arm again with better wire.

Attachments

• NeatShieldMO-19.jpg
    NeatShieldMO-19.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 720
  • Modified WellTemperedArm.jpg
    Modified WellTemperedArm.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 726
Last edited:

Thanks Rene, I'm enjoying doing the videos more than the PDFs, and they're much faster to produce.
And as you say, it's great to see how someone else uses the tools.

HI,

I cannot get the wheel arches to work... what is "gadget mode" ?

Gadget Mode allows you to disconnect the pivot point of
selections, like Pivot Mode does for objects, and then
you can reposition it by moving or snapping.

When you double click the ball in the center
of the Transform Tool, the point is moveable and
turns blue, double click to lock it down again.

I suggest setting a keyboard shortcut for this.

PS: Undo will reset to the original position,
which is frustrating till you get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Back