UV Mapping "How To" Needed

UV Mapping "How To" Needed

Hi,

I like most aspects of Cheetah, but find the UV mapping incredibly frustrating.

Carrara offered me an upgrade for $50.... wish they had done that before I plunked $99 on Cheetah.... but what's done is done.

Let's say I want to add a logo image to a particular area of a cylinder...

1-go to Polygon Mode
2- Select Tools=>UV Mapper
3- Set the Only Selection checkbox
4- Select the flat mapping type
5-Select my surfaces (shift select)
6- Click write UV Coords.

Okay... then I get lost. How to I get out of the UV mapper mode? Do I have to UV map all surfaces, or just the ones I care about? If I map different surfaces, can I name them so I can manage them better?

How do I set up the Materials so that my logo goes to one mapped area, and the base material (wood, porcelain) goes to the rest of the object.

And please, attaching a file does not help.... I really would like to know HOW to do this, not have it done for me.

I like most of the other features in Cheetah better... but this one is incredibly frustrating.

I like most of the other features in Cheetah better... but this one is incredibly frustrating.
I highly doubt DAZ-Carrara is doing here any better than Cheetah3d - in my opinion pure waste of time - it´s loosing seams constantly after unfolding. Ouch
In Cheetah3d it´s on complicated organic shapes selecting edge loops - toggle seams unwrap - boom - arrange to your liking - save as PDF - paint on - save as what you like - make new material with your texture - drag onto model - done.
Here´s to a simple logo placing onto a t-shirt shape in 2 min.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• C3dVsCarrarUnfolding.jpeg
    C3dVsCarrarUnfolding.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 2,200
Last edited:
I've been through piles of examples/tips/books and no where did I ever know to click the "Edit" Texture button till I seen your example video (you did produce the smiley shirt video?) THANK YOU!

This UV Mapping stuff is SOOoo crazy... I feel like im one part modeler one part archeology explorer - just clicking and trying and hoping to "discover" the process... gads!

Is there a reason why my UV Map Image (viewing in the UV editor window) distorts when I click the "Edit" Texture button? [window02] does it need to "fit" in this window?? it looks like its getting squished - BUT I'm not changing the size of my exported UV PDF when I save the JPG out of Photoshop.

I can go ahead and scale/distort my UV Map and adjust [window03]- but I know someday this will not work (I'll need exact alignment I'm sure) [window4] shows how it reverts back to distorted after I click "Leave Edit" ??
Magic Button somewhere AGAIN?

AND - Big Thanks Frank with your help in regards to Point Animation. (AGAIN with the "hidden" button action) That was the ticket... took a while to animate, but overall I was pretty happy with the results. The Overall render took 28 hours to Render! (1280x720) The water is So - So - but budgets dictate effort...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdo4QIss-4

Attachments

• window01.jpg
    window01.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 952
  • window02.jpg
    window02.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 911
  • window03.jpg
    window03.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 935
  • window04.jpg
    window04.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 908
Hi.
I at least don´t get why you unwrap a cone at all; it has default UVs.
This is entirely done in Cheetah3d in seconds, including painting the texture - no unwrapping needed.
C3dConeUVs.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Still not sure where you struggle.
You can use gadget mode inside UV-editor.
Did you scale the model to something out of 1:1:1 for example?
UVgadgetMode.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Still not sure where you struggle.
:: Mmm... I'm getting there~ (that darn "Edit" button!) ....my struggle is with the distorted scaling thats occurring with the image Map. Like I said - I have a bunch of these to create and want to have everything locked down before I begin...

You can use gadget mode inside UV-editor.
:: Ooo - yeah thats pretty helpful - cool thanks!

Did you scale the model to something out of 1:1:1 for example?
:: No. Im just dropping shapes real quick - no scale nothing for UV testing...

It looks like it has something to do with the UV editor window area. the image i bring in has to be the exact size of that? Just did another test and that seemed to work. (didnt even move the UV Map)

Attachments

• window06.jpg
    window06.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 920
You always can rotate/scale/transfrom UVs to your liking:
UVrotation.png

Cheers
Frank

Aunt Edith says: "Angled UV unwraps has much improved with Cheetah3dv7."

Last edited:
I highly doubt DAZ-Carrara is doing here any better than Cheetah3d - in my opinion pure waste of time - it´s loosing seams constantly after unfolding. Ouch
In Cheetah3d it´s on complicated organic shapes selecting edge loops - toggle seams unwrap - boom - arrange to your liking - save as PDF - paint on - save as what you like - make new material with your texture - drag onto model - done.
Here´s to a simple logo placing onto a t-shirt shape in 2 min.

Cheers
Frank
Hey Frank, has your above video been reposted anywhere that doesn't require Flash?

Oih! Seems I need my buddy Sherlock to find the original to convert it to something more modern. Last time I tried to replace a video to keep the URL alive didn´t work. Let´s see - but not today - I´m sorry. I´ll try my best.

Cheers
Frank

Oih! Seems I need my buddy Sherlock to find the original to convert it to something more modern. Last time I tried to replace a video to keep the URL alive didn´t work. Let´s see - but not today - I´m sorry. I´ll try my best.

Cheers
Frank
Okay, no hurry on my account. Maybe I'll be daring and try using Flash...

I was able to download the Shockwave file - but any conversion ended in a weird image sequence. Elmedia Player can can handle these kind of codecs natively. I´ll try to screencast the video and export to mp4 later. This at least should work.

Cheers
Frank

Frank, I went ahead and used Flash and did a screen recording. If you'd like a copy of it to post somewhere, here it is:
(deleted, now that Frank has his video in a non-Flash format)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Cheers
Frank

I've finally got some free time to try to do this in Cheetah3D, and I was excited to follow along with your video after watching it a few times. But I'm stymied from the start because I don't know how to get Cheetah3D to display the UV Editor window, along with the 3D view and other panels, all in the arrangement you have. Here's what things look like 98% of the time I'm working in Cheetah3D, is it easy to explain what steps I need to take to make the layout look like yours? I'm sure this seems so extremely basic to you that you didn't expect you'd have to explain it, but I can't figure it out.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-11-at-12.18.13-PM.jpg

Back