Challenge Weeks 3-4 - Fight Club

Challenge Weeks 3-4 - Fight Club

If we have consistent participation I'll be adding a prize. For now these are just for fun, and learning. Please don't hesitate to visit, and try out any of the previous challenges.

As far as the challenge go for modeling accuracy, experiment with shading, give a go at lighting, or make the focus something more your own design. The intent is to give everyone an idea to start from, and a goal. In the world of art, and design the idea is generally the hardest thing.

This weeks challenge is a fun shading challenge. Model just parts of it, or have a go at the whole scene. Variety of ways exist on how to fake this..lets see how everyone does! I'm going to extend this challenge for 2 weeks with the coming holidays.

Attachments

• fight-club-soap_bar.jpg
    fight-club-soap_bar.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 978
my gift

I created an SVG file of the Fight Club logo by hand from a different photo image - here it is - my gift for everyone to use - This looks like a tough one -- Cheers

Attachments

• Fight-Club-Logo.svg.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 917
in Progress

There's still a lot to do on this - I've got the basic models mostly done - still working on the lighting and the textures/materials -- who knew that SOAP could be so elusive as a material?? -- Cheers

Attachments

• FightClub-R1-1.jpg
    FightClub-R1-1.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 883
  • FightClub-R1-2.jpg
    FightClub-R1-2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 855
  • FightClub-R1-3.jpg
    FightClub-R1-3.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 858
Happy enough with the soap bar, struggling with the droplets, would hope to make some progress today though.

Attachments

• FC Soap Bar.jpg
    FC Soap Bar.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 856
Pat, your soap bar is really good, love the texture and the detail on the bar shape. Those pesky little water drops are quite tricky. If it's simple, it's not obvious to me. Your bar is great:icon_thumbup:

There's still a lot to do on this - I've got the basic models mostly done - still working on the lighting and the textures/materials -- who knew that SOAP could be so elusive as a material?? -- Cheers

Looks like you have a problem in the center of your drain. The geometry is creating a lot of artifacts. Looking good though!

Happy enough with the soap bar, struggling with the droplets, would hope to make some progress today though.

Think you need to adjust the specular. I'd say we'll either have to add slight blurry reflections, and or just use a muted specular. Your text could use some beveling on the top. Looks great!

Thanks Nichod for your tip - got that fixed. Still need to get the water drops on the soap and liquid on the chrome ring. Also not quite happy with my teeth and soap textures (you soap is texture is great Pat) - but mine is coming along.

Attachments

• FightClub-R4.jpg
    FightClub-R4.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 840

Nice work everyone, I'm going to sit this one out because of shoulder problems.
Still I had to do this animated tribute to Fight Club.

All done in Cheetah, except for the splines.

Also, here is a link to free vector splatter.

Attachments

• Fight Club Wall 04.jpg
    Fight Club Wall 04.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 682
Thanks Nichod for your tip - got that fixed. Still need to get the water drops on the soap and liquid on the chrome ring. Also not quite happy with my teeth and soap textures (you soap is texture is great Pat) - but mine is coming along.

Hi Rene, you're doing great :icon_thumbup: I think yours is coming along way ahead of mine, and yes those droplets sure are real pesky :)

Nichod, many thanks for your tips and help, hopefully making progress.

Eric, nice touch with the poster animation :cool:

Cheers, Pat

Finally here's my contribution, which I rendered with a DoF tag (doh, big mistake, took rather longer to render than envisaged!). Image as rendered in C3D, no post-processing effects in PS, just adjusted the gamma slightly and resized.

The soap and teeth materials are procedural, the 'liquid gore' materials on the sink and drain are image driven.

I remade my original soap bar, probably to no good effect, had real problems when combining with the surface droplets, not really resolved, but this was a particular interest in this challenge, something I had been considering previously. Intend to carry the 'droplet' thing forwards, hopefully more progress can be made, ideally including the 'Isosurface' creator which I've ignored here.

The 'blood' effect is made to look different deliberately since Rene had done a really good job with this already. Thanks to Eric for the FudgeGraphics link, I used these as a starting point.

Not completely happy with the result but have made more progress making this than I ever thought I could possibly achieve on first viewing the original image, so thanks Nichod for prompting me to push along a bit.

Attachments

• Sink Teeth Soap.jpg
    Sink Teeth Soap.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 649
My Take

I wasn't a big fan of the square soap so I changed it. The bubbles were the hardest part. This was a fun time working this up.:smile:
could of used some sub surface scattering....

Attachments

• FightClub.jpg
    FightClub.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
I wasn't a big fan of the square soap so I changed it. The bubbles were the hardest part. This was a fun time working this up.:smile:

Hi Uncle, I was wondering if you might have been working on something, nice to see another interpretation too :)

I agree with you about the bubbles, still playing around with them here. In the end this was more fun than it appeared at first view, learnt a lot along the way.

Cheers, Pat

Particularly gruesome blood.:icon_thumbup:
You got drips and smears and directional splatter.

Nice work Pat, I hope you do continue with the bubble/waterdrop, It seems to be the hardest part.

Hi Eric and all

Thanks for the 'mission' :-D

Tricky, but not necessarily impossible… here's is a test render on the basic soap bar 'procedural' material. 194 seconds at 1280 x 960. Nothing done in PS apart from adjust gamma slightly and resizing.

I'm checking out on various materials both regular materials and preset Metallics. Hope to post some info anon.

Isosurface aggregations are more problematic, partly as I expected and in someways rather unexpected. I think I'll have to do some 'homemade' ones.

Think I'm gonna have some fun with this one now :)

Cheers, Pat

Attachments

• Water Drops.jpg
    Water Drops.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 608
Back