Modeling Challenge - Week 2 - Soap Dispenser

Modeling Challenge - Week 2 - Soap Dispenser

I'm going to start these at the beginning of each week, that way it's more of the intended weekly challenge. :icon_thumbup: If we have consistent participation I'll be adding a prize. For now these are just for fun, and learning. Please don't hesitate to visit, and try out any of the previous challenges.

As far as the challenge go for modeling accuracy, experiment with shading, give a go at lighting, or make the focus something more your own design. The intent is to give everyone an idea to start from, and a goal. In the world of art, and design the idea is generally the hardest thing.

This weeks challenge is an interesting one. It has an interesting shape. Textures vary across it's surface. It's the start of a theme for the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.JPG
    IMG_0719.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited:
Blue Raku Soap Dispenser

Blue Raku Soap Dispenser

Attachments

• Raku Soap Dispenser.jpg
    Raku Soap Dispenser.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 933
Dang Zoo --- you are a 3D machine - you busted that out FAST!!! Looks great - lots of detail -- and I love your custom look -- Very Nice :icon_thumbup:

Dang Zoo --- you are a 3D machine - you busted that out FAST!!! Looks great - lots of detail -- and I love your custom look -- Very Nice :icon_thumbup:

Thanks Rene, I had to do this one fast because I've got a bunch of stuff to do this week.
I couldn't match the material quickly, so I went custom.

Very nice!

Thanks Nichod, this is a great way to improve and learn new techniques.

Nice one Uncle, I got a model, and I got materials, but have I got a render? have I £**& as like :-(

Hopefully it's coming soon if I can get the darn thing work cohesively.

Keep it up!

Cheers, Pat

Thanks it took me most of the morning. I UV'ed it and did the texture in Gimp.
Not sure what this says:"have I £**& as like :-("

This was troublesome for me - unfinished - but a good start

Attachments

• Dispenser-1.jpg
    Dispenser-1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 734
  • Dispenser-2.jpg
    Dispenser-2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 736
  • Dispenser-3.jpg
    Dispenser-3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 727

I've decided to post my model at the end of the week so others can dissect it if they wish.
I couldn't include the cap, because it is huge and made the model to big. That tiny knurling is to blame.

Attachments

• Soap Dispenser02.jas.zip
    61.6 KB · Views: 834
Good work by everyone except you're missing a critical detail in all your models (and isn't this a modeling competition?) The lid is not constructed the way you've got it in any of your models. (Pretty much all plastic lids seem to be made this way.) I made a rough attempt but it's less than perfect (the ridges are separate geometry to begin with) — this is a case where it would be great to be able to boolean the "sharp" geometry and then apply something like Blender's "bevel" modifier.

Attachments

• lid-detail.jpg
    lid-detail.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 626
Good work by everyone except you're missing a critical detail in all your models (and isn't this a modeling competition?) The lid is not constructed the way you've got it in any of your models. (Pretty much all plastic lids seem to be made this way.) I made a rough attempt but it's less than perfect (the ridges are separate geometry to begin with) — this is a case where it would be great to be able to boolean the "sharp" geometry and then apply something like Blender's "bevel" modifier.

Good call, sometimes the original image is low res, and that's where outside research is important.
As you say "Pretty much all plastic lids seem to be made this way". I couldn't see the cap
to well in the picture with my eyes, so I designed my own.

I must say I'm not to comfortable in a competition anyway.
You looking to be a Judge? With no judge, is it really a competition?:wink:

Hi all,

Made mine a couple of days ago, just found materials, lighting and rendering a real problem... finally got somewhere though, palpable relief :)

File size was OK so the model is here as well.

Cheers all, Pat

PS - Added a render of the model in the jas file.

Attachments

• A Little Pot.jpg
    A Little Pot.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 603
  • Soap Dispenser.jas.zip
    206.3 KB · Views: 810
  • Model Pot.jpg
    Model Pot.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
Hi all,

Made mine a couple of days ago, just found materials, lighting and rendering a real problem... finally got somewhere though, palpable relief :)

Cheers all, Pat

Great lighting work here!
And did you add the rim light in Photoshop using a glow tool?

-- GS.

Hi all,

Cheers all, Pat

Great job pat, I like the stoneware texture. Is that an image based material?

Thanks GS, Eric

No extra work afterwards in Photoshop, I used a 'cloudy fuzz' hdri image I made that I use to vary the lighting effect by rotating the image, this can work to good effect, but also can be rather unpredictable, together with an area light, and a touch of DoF.

The materials are procedural, as in the jas file, though I 'tweaked' them a bit for the final version. I'm trying to get to grips with the materials system and came up with other useful ones along the way, mostly by accident rather than design :)

Cheers, Pat

@zoohead — I can always be depended on to see flaws in stuff. It's my gift/curse.

We are all different parts of the same puzzle, and I wouldn't have it any other way.:icon_thumbup:

Happy Holidays to you, and all your friend and family.

Eric

Back