Modeling Challenge - Week 1

Modeling Challenge - Week 1

I'd like to create some activity here. It will give me a reason to do some personal work in C3D. Each week I will be posting a challenge with the hopes that people will participate.

Attachments

• springs1.jpg
    springs1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 926
Springtime.....

This is about the first thing I've ever done in this program apart from tinkering, so please make suggestions for improvements, techniques and so on, I shan't be offended. It's not brilliant and not a perfect copy even though it's conceptually the same - it's a tribute to this program though that if I tried to draw it in any other drawing app it would probably resemble spaghetti though ;-)

It's a Sweep/Circle/Helix/Array with a Sweep/Spline/Circle on either end. I managed to keep it mostly in 'non collapsed' form except for the red colouring (hence you can see the join).

Is there a way of splitting the colour in the sweep/spine without converting it to a mesh and ring cutting it (or having two splines ?)

spring.png

Sweep 3600˚/Array x 5 then collapse and join segments. Quick build the ends with the Gadget Tool, Cover and Normal Move.

Attachments

• DualSpring.jpg
    DualSpring.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 888
Hi Nichod, seems like a good idea to get folks involved :icon_thumbup:

Here's my attempt...

Attachments

• Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 887
Here's my attempt - I also took the challenge of trying to get the render as close to the original as well - no post FX - Great idea Nichod :)

Attachments

• CHALLENGE-1-coil.jpg
    CHALLENGE-1-coil.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 835
Wow! And I didn't even have time over the weekend! I've had a sick wife the past two weeks, and this weekend was especially rough. Amazing stuff guys!

Sweep 3600˚/Array x 5 then collapse and join segments. Quick build the ends with the Gadget Tool, Cover and Normal Move.

Interesting. 3600˚? I'm curious about detail since yours seems built slightly different compared to the rest.

This is about the first thing I've ever done in this program apart from tinkering, so please make suggestions for improvements, techniques and so on, I shan't be offended. It's not brilliant and not a perfect copy even though it's conceptually the same - it's a tribute to this program though that if I tried to draw it in any other drawing app it would probably resemble spaghetti though ;-)

It's a Sweep/Circle/Helix/Array with a Sweep/Spline/Circle on either end. I managed to keep it mostly in 'non collapsed' form except for the red colouring (hence you can see the join).

Is there a way of splitting the colour in the sweep/spine without converting it to a mesh and ring cutting it (or having two splines ?)

spring.png

Looks like a great attempt. How about thinning the spring's diameter a bit? And then adding a metal material to the spring?

Last edited:
My simple attempt. I was more interested in playing around with the shader though.

Attachments

• spring_shader.png
    spring_shader.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 826
Interesting. 3600˚? I'm curious about detail since yours seems built slightly different compared to the rest.

Hi Nichod

I think the best bit is seeing what everyone comes up with :)

For mine I used n-edge and helix inside sweep. Added a 3° shear.

Great to have folks joining in too :icon_thumbup:

Cheers, Pat

Attachments

• Spring Effect.jpg
    Spring Effect.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 678

Hi Nichod, I've included a model and this time the helix is 18000˚.
That way there is no need to join the segments.
Circle Spline- approximation angle of 22˚ to reduce geometry around the circumference.
Helix Spline- angle 0-18000˚, sections-501.
The sections setting allows better linear alignment of geometry.
Perfect linear alignment is possible if you also skew the Circle Spline as per Pat88.

Attachments

• Spring Sweep.jpg
    Spring Sweep.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 673
  • Spring Sweep.jas.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 946

I couldn't resist doing this one with a slightly edited helix spline.

Attachments

• Spring Sweep02.jpg
    Spring Sweep02.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 679
  • Spring Sweep02helix.jpg
    Spring Sweep02helix.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 706
  • Spring Sweep02.jas.zip
    39.7 KB · Views: 875
My simple attempt. I was more interested in playing around with the shader though.

Awesome work on the texture!!
Mine was just an adjusted Metal shader with just a color in the reflection node - yours has some subtle texture to it that is nice.

I couldn't resist doing this one with a slightly edited helix spline.

Oooo, very nice - I followed your first description to model mine - 3600º spiral spline nested in a particle array - Particle to Polygon and then had to do some manual deleting of some polygons and then bridging to connect before optimizing and then manually adding the top hooks.

Yours looks soooooo easy to add a sweep to - very nice.

Oooo, very nice - I followed your first description to model mine - 3600º spiral spline nested in a particle array - Particle to Polygon and then had to do some manual deleting of some polygons and then bridging to connect before optimizing and then manually adding the top hooks.

Yours looks soooooo easy to add a sweep to - very nice.

Thanks Rene, yours looks the closest to the original.:icon_thumbup:
Great exercise Nichod, this is a great way to
compare methods, and learn some new tricks.

Slightly offbeat

Two ways to beat an egg… although I think this egg may be from a 'caged hen' and not 'free-range' :)

Just a byproduct of the spring thing… one spline for the spring, the paddles and baton are made from just one other spline, slightly different setup for each.

Attachments

• Beat an Egg.jpg
    Beat an Egg.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 632
Back