Cheetah3D JAS & FBX Files Don't Import into Unity 2020 or Later

Since this bug only got 2 votes to be fixed, hinting at a low user base, it has been decided not to directly support the cheetah 3D materials.

The material mapping has been fixed, though. This means it's now possible again to put a .jas into Unity and it'll assign the correct materials IDs and names to the materials. The corresponding materials may then be assigned. I think this used to be broken.

According to our QA, this has been fixed in Unity 2020.3.17f1+, 2021.2.0b9+ and 2022.1.0a6+. I just verified it with 2022.2.3f1.

While in theory, it should be possible to support the materials, this will need some additional work. I think the only real use-case is when using the PBR materials and it looks like this hasn't carried over properly in the past (e.g. "metallic" wouldn't map to "metallic" in Unity). Usually, in my workflow I only import the models with the material IDs and then replace the materials so I'm happy that the material mapping works again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 5.15.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 5.15.07 PM.png
    385.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 5.15.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 5.15.27 PM.png
    414.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Since this bug only got 2 votes to be fixed, hinting at a low user base, it has been decided not to directly support the cheetah 3D materials.

What now??? I'm a "low user base"? Maybe the base just doesn't visit this forum very often. Is it too late to make it 3 votes? What does this mean with respect to my future use of Cheetah to create models for use in Unity, which is the only thing I use it for?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, voting is disabled on resolved issues. Feel free to report a new issue using the bug reporter in Unity "Help → report a bug", post the link here and tell your friends that also use Cheetah3D to vote on it :)

While I'm an avid Cheetah3D user myself, It's difficult to advocate for this fix if most of our developers haven't even heard of the JAS format in the last years.

Another issue is that it seems to work as expected when importing the FBX exported from Cheetah3D.

If you still have issues with the FBX itself, you may also report a new bug. Again, if you let me know the resulting bug ID, I can make sure this is looked into and see if I run into the same issues. If it is a standard FBX that should work and it doesn't import correctly, it's definitely an issue. Make sure to attach the file that doesn't work and explain what the issue is. The best is to provide a minimal Unity project with the corresponding file as part of your bug report. (I know using the word "standard" in combination with "FBX" is very hopeful :).

Last edited:
While I'm an avid Cheetah3D user myself, It's difficult to advocate for this fix if most of our developers haven't even heard of the JAS format in the last years.

Another issue is that it seems to work as expected when importing the FBX exported from Cheetah3D.
Just to be clear, it is NOT an issue with the JAS format. If you read through my posts in this thread, you'll see my problem was with importing FBX files created in Cheetah into Unity (Unity converts to FBX before importing). Saving in JAS format is just a convenience. That problem was (mostly) fixed with the update posted in this thread (https://cheetah3d.com/download/Beta/Cheetah3D7.5.2a1.zip). I'm hoping that fix will be included in future updates.

Last edited:
I see. It might have been a coincidence that the treatment of the materials on the Unity side and the fix on the Cheetah3D side happened around the same time.

Back