Can’t shake this pill addiction

My favorite things to design in C3D are cars or buildings, but complex models take a lot of time. To learn about all of C3D’s tools I like to practice on small projects that can usually be done in a couple of sessions. Lots of trial-and-error, many iterations. The .jas files are useful for future reference.

A couple of years ago I wanted to experiment with C3D’s materials and the capsule object seemed optimal. Working on the first one inspired more ideas, more experiments, more capsules. There are now 35 capsules. They are whimsical, comical, purely aesthetic.

Everything was created in C3D, using scripts from Hiroto Tsubaki et al. Thanks to all of you who have posted tutorials or answered questions on this forum.

SCRIPTS: A Quick Guide:

They were all rendered with Falcon and the default oldtown_pano_small HDRI Light. No post-processing. PNG renders were exported to JPEGs using Preview.

The spherical top and bottom were derived from the default Capsule object, or an Icosahedron + Stam-Loop Subdivision Modifier, or a Box + Spherify Modifier.

The materials are relatively simple. I think they all use the basic Material Shader node, maybe the Dielectric. No PBRs. No Image nodes. Three Math nodes: Mix, Multiply, and Vec2Float. Instance/random node + step gradient for varicolored particles.

Simple intro to Materials for new users:

Gradients: color, value, number:

Capsules 1 — 14:

Capsules 15 — 26

Capsules 27 — 29

capsule27.jpg

capsule28.jpg

capsule29.jpg

Back