Synchronize Multiple Ortho Views with Each Other

Sorry if this has already been requested. I did a search and didn't see anything, but I might not have been searching the correct terms.

I'd like it if there were a preference to set when multiple orthographic views are shown, they would stay synchronized with each other. That way zooming in and out in one view would do the same in the other views.

* I fail to see the point in having >1 orthographic camera based view port. If you have a layout with n orthographic projections they all zoom synchronised, regardless of which of the view ports is active. This is a camera bound projection and all n views will be identical.
* However, you have at your disposal 3x2 orthographic projections (front / left / top + reverses), all 6 of which are camera independent.
* If you use a conceptual subsectioned "potter´s box" (PB) and plonk the rest of the model inside these dummy XYZ planes, you can rotate the PB to achieve various axonometric projections. Fiddling with scales even allows for differential foreshortening, if required.
* Each of these 3 (max 6) view ports can be zoomed / dollied independently.
:unsure: I may have misunderstood you question, though

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 15.13.26.png

I knew I probably didn’t fully explain that correctly. I meant orthographic views as in front, back, top, bottom, left and right. I’m on my phone now, but I can make a quick animation later when I’m on my Mac if that didn’t clarify.

There is a preference in Modo to turn this in and off. I didn’t think much of it until using it there. It helps a lot when having to model and align meshes accurately.

* I see.
* As mentioned, the parallel projections of front / side / top are camera and mutually independent. They are just ad hocish normal projections in the ±X / ±Y / ±Z directions where a virtual camera slides along the primary axes.
* I think that I understand your aim. Zooming on the, say, frontal axis (generic Z) should also shift the lateral (X) and vertical (Y) foci in a synchronised positional transformation, rotated by the relevant 90° angles. Basically, you would have three synchronised dummy cameras / view ports.
* For architectural viz, engineering et al, this should be a useful tool. I can't think of a way to simulate / fake that in the given C3D architecture :(
* There may be a scripting solution :unsure:, but Java is far away :mad:

Thanks for responding.

Yeah, here's an animated gif I made in Modo that shows what I'm talking about in action. It's too big to post here, so I'll have to DropBox it (although it's only about 2-1/2 MB). I lowered the resolution and frame rate, but it should still be viewable.

I never really thought about creating a rig until replying to you. Since most of what I work on requires some degree of accuracy, it would be extremely helpful. This gives me an idea to play around with making a rig that could possible do the same thing. There's an orthographic projection setting in the camera. I'd have to come up with a way to keep multiple cameras synced in the scene with zooming and panning. Possibly using some target tags and constraint tags.

Edit:
Rigging / Scripting won't work. You can only set the viewport to the active camera. I'd need to set each viewport to a different camera to make a work-around work.

Last edited:
* Oops, this, indeed, may be a work around.
* I have never used rigged cameras. It is not directly possible and I guess there would need to be some kinetic trickery involved (as indicated by you) to synchronise those. It just needs an octahedral cluster of cameras all of which focus on the origin.
* So much for the simple conceptual stuff. Now, to Genesis, Day One ;)
* Apples only turn up on day six :devilish:, which is ample time for experiments and frustration.

Back