Challenge Week 7 - 8 - Eye on you

Challenge Week 7 - 8 - Eye on you

If we have consistent participation I'll be adding a prize. For now these are just for fun, and learning. Please don't hesitate to visit, and try out any of the previous challenges.

As far as the challenge goes try modeling accuracy, experiment with shading, give a go at lighting, or make the focus something more your own design. The intent is to give everyone an idea to start from, and a goal. In the world of art, and design the idea is generally the hardest thing.

Work has been busy, and long hours lately. So I'm sorry for missing the weekly inspiration. We will continue to have the challenges go two weeks. I think it actually gives people more time to experiment with the project.

This week I wanted to go a more organic route. Everyone always tries to capture a full character, but why not model/texture just a portion of a character? And what better focus than the eyes? Try recreating the texture procedurally! Or just create a texture of your own!

Attachments

• Blueye.jpg
    Blueye.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 914
My try =)

Here is my try, i really learned alot with this eye texturing..
Good challenge!

Attachments

• eyecheetah.png
    eyecheetah.png
    437.9 KB · Views: 807
  • Captura de tela 2014-02-10 às 16.39.44.jpg
    Captura de tela 2014-02-10 às 16.39.44.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 843
Made a start, work will intervene for a couple of days or so, shall have get to the trickier bits asap.

Attachments

• No Eye.jpg
    No Eye.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 818
Here's my effort - could use more work - I intentionally used different skin and eye textures than the original. My eye lashes are a bit over done and the lighting was tough - but was fun to figure out -- Cheers

Attachments

• Eye-Challenge-render2.jpg
    Eye-Challenge-render2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 737
  • Eye-Challenge-render3.jpg
    Eye-Challenge-render3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 748
  • EyeBall-Cheetah2.jpg
    EyeBall-Cheetah2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 757
New Render - DOF - Improved lighting - improved materials on eyeball - and some post processing for color and levels. My eyelashes still look a bit more like spines than hair. My previous eyeball looked more like glass - this time I covered my textured sphere with a slightly large sphere of water - looks better to me - I like your modeling job Pat - can't wait to see it textured -- cheers

Attachments

• EyeBall-Render4.jpg
    EyeBall-Render4.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 738
Cool render, just a tip, if you want animate a eye, it must be a 100% round sphere or you have a hard work to do.. ;)

Here's my effort - could use more work - I intentionally used different skin and eye textures than the original. My eye lashes are a bit over done and the lighting was tough - but was fun to figure out -- Cheers

Here is my try
no much time to work on it, I can call it a first step.
Noting comapare to the Nichod's link.. :frown:
(thanks for it)

Attachments

• all.png
    all.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 722
  • Schermata 2014-02-17 alle 19.30.39.png
    Schermata 2014-02-17 alle 19.30.39.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 740
New Render - DOF - Improved lighting - improved materials on eyeball - and some post processing for color and levels. My eyelashes still look a bit more like spines than hair. My previous eyeball looked more like glass - this time I covered my textured sphere with a slightly large sphere of water - looks better to me

Hi Rene, yours gets better and better, liking it a lot! It's great to see the different approaches that everyone comes up with :)

Cheers, Pat

With other matters out of the way here's my attempt… for the iris I used the original image from Nichod but added in the pupil in C3D (reflection is in render), the rest of the materials are procedural. Used the Car Paint shader for the eyeball and added DoF tag to get the ends of the lashes slightly out of focus.

Haven't used any PS after-effects, although I believe most photographers 'airbrush their models' :-D

Attachments

• Big Blue Eye.jpg
    Big Blue Eye.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 607
  • Eye Buildup.jpg
    Eye Buildup.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 613
Final revision - could do more, but I'm not. My lashes may be a bit long - but they're better than the "spines" from an earlier model. I worked hard to get the reflections on the eyeball to be as realistic as possible. It's two meshes. The textured mesh is slightly flattened at the iris, and the "water" mesh is slightly larger and has bulge over the iris for added realism. The animated GIF shows two perspectives and two eye positions. I'm pretty happy with how the reflections worked out (no post processing). I had to create a large emissive ring in front of the model for the main reflective element. This was fun. I learned a lot about what I didn't know - LoL. The other submissions here were very inspiring and Nichod's link to the video was mind blowing. Cheers.

Attachments

• Eyeball-Challenge2.gif
    Eyeball-Challenge2.gif
    438.6 KB · Views: 606
  • EYEshot-1.jpg
    EYEshot-1.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 609
  • EYEshot-2.jpg
    EYEshot-2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 603
Final revision - could do more, but I'm not. My lashes may be a bit long - but they're better than the "spines" from an earlier model. I worked hard to get the reflections on the eyeball to be as realistic as possible. It's two meshes. The textured mesh is slightly flattened at the iris, and the "water" mesh is slightly larger and has bulge over the iris for added realism. The animated GIF shows two perspectives and two eye positions. I'm pretty happy with how the reflections worked out (no post processing). I had to create a large emissive ring in front of the model for the main reflective element. This was fun. I learned a lot about what I didn't know - LoL. The other submissions here were very inspiring and Nichod's link to the video was mind blowing. Cheers.

One word. Fantastic!!

Nice Rene, and with a gif yet. I wonder how different a jpeg would look?

Thanks - I went ahead and tried a DOF tag - it took some fine tuning but this is working well - I did do some post processing on this image to enhance the levels and colors - Cheers

Attachments

• EyEbaLL-Final.jpg
    EyEbaLL-Final.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 599
Thanks - I went ahead and tried a DOF tag - it took some fine tuning but this is working well - I did do some post processing on this image to enhance the levels and colors - Cheers

Hi Rene, that's a real eye-opener for sure, great job :icon_thumbup: joining in these competition threads sure makes me push on up the learning curve, you've certainly shown what can be done with this one :)

Cheers, Pat

Just need to add a sphere effect to the eyelids mesh, and translate it as you move the eyeball ;)

Back