Mirror Copy.js

In Cheetah 6.1 I get an error message see image. Never the less it works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 12.02.24 PM9-25-12.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 12.02.24 PM9-25-12.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 777
Thanks for looking into it.
Funny thing I downloaded again and replaced it with the one from the same release date and the error is gone. :p

Cheers
Frank

Wow! This was timely! I came to the forum to find how to do a mirror copy of a polygon object, and here is this thread, active.

Now, this probably my own bone-headedness, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the script. Is this how to set it up? Then, when I click "copy", it gives the error about not finding the mirror plane, no matter what I set the mirror plane parameter to. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 8.56.49 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 8.56.49 AM.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 744
  • Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 8.57.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 8.57.26 AM.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 745
Actually you´re running the wrong script. Mirror-plane needs a plane as a mirror-axis while Hiroto´s "Mirror copy.js" scrip is a tool script. Load it from the first page of this thread.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• MirrorCopyScript.png
    MirrorCopyScript.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 738
Thank you so much. I would love an object rename / Object prefix rename and find / replace script if there is one already somewhere ;)?

hi, thank you for reporting.

According to the error message, I am guessing that your script is not the latest one. so please download and replace it.

http://www.tres-graficos.jp/blog/files/article.php?id=51

if you have same problem, please let me know it.

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Hi tg_jp, Hiroto: Long time no hear from. Is this the latest version for C3D V7?
Mirror Copy.js_20100209.zip ( application/zip : 4 KB)

Last edited:
I'm also curious about C3D v7.0 compatability.

In basic testing Mirror Copy/Object Copy a hierarchy of parametric objects and grouped objects, it seems okay.

In testing a Mirror Copy/Object Copy that included a Sweep Creator (with two splines inside), the resulting two splines ended up in reverse order and the Sweep Creator object needs fixing.

In other testing, using a simple mesh I get this error (see screen grab)
Yup tried several times. Simple mesh (non-parametric) in C3D v7.0b23 can't make a mirror copy.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
--Shift Studio.

Attachments

• mirror-copy-error.jpg
    mirror-copy-error.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 458
Added to above ^^

Getting similar errors in C3D v6.3.1 (see attached)

Tried a simple parametric cube and then cube 'made editable'.

Maybe it has to do with Javascript being different now?

Thanks for reading.
--Shift Studio.

Attachments

• mirror-copy-error2.jpg
    mirror-copy-error2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 455
Yup tried several times. Simple mesh (non-parametric) in C3D v7.0b23 can't make a mirror copy.
Any ideas?
Still works as expected with parametric and editable meshes (these generate a Javascript warning) but the copied/mirrored objects appear:
Can you give a step-by-step instruction?
Are you using character joints as this script is initially meant for?
Hello,
this is Tool script for copying object symmetrically. for character bones.;)
this works for v4.0+.
tg_jp, Hiroto.
MirrorCopy.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Still works as expected with parametric and editable meshes (these generate a Javascript warning) but the copied/mirrored objects appear:
Can you give a step-by-step instruction?
Are you using character joints as this script is initially meant for?

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank.

I'm not using the script for character joints, rather a hierarchy of meshes with subdivision modifiers and groups of the same. Also included in the hierarchy are Sweep Creators.

After some more testing it seems to be true that editable meshes (non grouped) do copy correctly, but generate the Javascript error as you suggest.
I'll do some more testing - to see if my results from yesterday can be repeated - or if I didn't interpret correctly. It was a long, long day yesterday.

It seems like when you have groups and groups with subgroups the script tries to make the new copies as children of the group, and this causes the script to fail. Also it will fail if you try to make mirror copies of meshes that have children. You can test this with the attached .jas file.

Thanks.
--Shift Studio.

Attachments

• mirror copy group.jas.zip
    198.5 KB · Views: 457
I think there are quite some more options we have:
The simplest is to duplicate the whole folder and set the scale at "X" to "-1" - boom - there you have it.
Or you use your hierarchy folder.jas file and feed two Smart Folders with - one set scale to X=-1 like above:
MirrorCopyViaSmartFolder.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I think there are quite some more options we have:
The simplest is to duplicate the whole folder and set the scale at "X" to "-1" - boom - there you have it.
Or you use your hierarchy folder.jas file and feed two Smart Folders with - one set scale to X=-1 like above:

Cheers
Frank

You know, setting scale to "-1" was my first method, but the in a render, the copy turned out black. Now, I can't reproduce :frown: :confused: :redface:
I'm having a tough time the last day or two....

The mirror copy script not keeping materials made it a poor option anyways.

Thanks for your help Frank.

I think we can agree that the Mirror Copy script isn't working fully with groups, subgroups, parent/children hierarchies - right?

@Hiroto or any other person in the know, it would be great to see materials copied over too. I suppose there are considerations when it comes to flipping texture maps....

--shift studio.

You know, setting scale to "-1" was my first method, but the in a render, the copy turned out black. Now, I can't reproduce :frown: :confused: :redface:
Renders fine here.
I think we can agree that the Mirror Copy script isn't working fully with groups, subgroups, parent/children hierarchies - right?
It´s main purpose is to mirror whole joint hierarchies which does it brilliantly - not polygonal meshes.

Cheers
Frank

It´s main purpose is to mirror whole joint hierarchies which does it brilliantly - not polygonal meshes.
Cheers
Frank

I've used it for that. It does work brilliantly.

Apparently what I need is a mirror copy script for polygonal meshes.
Its not trivial either. The models I'm working on have many many parts, with complex hierarchies.

--shift studio.

Have you tried this one lately? https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10374

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank.
Yes, I have - in fact thats my preferred way (Referenced Particles), because it only keeps one copy of all the objects (smaller and more manageable file) and because it keeps the materials!

But, alas, I'm getting the black render on mirrored objects again. See attached.
Any ideas about solving that? That would be appreciated very much.

Thanks,
--shift studio.

Attachments

• referenced-Particle(mirror)-error.jpg
    referenced-Particle(mirror)-error.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 460
Damn - yes renders black. That make this script quite useless.
The only way you can now solve this is during modeling process by "simply" adding to symmetry-creators right into your hierarchy. Adding these later is easy enough:
SymmetricalHierarchy.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Back