How to make a Christmas Star - for Beginners

How to make a Christmas Star - for Beginners

Hi all, this is my first tutorial I have written. I am still learning this wonderful software and every "simple" tutorial was for me (and still is) very helpful to understand thinking with the 3D tools. I hope it will help beginners.

The steps:
A - Start with a "disc object" with 10 corners and section radius = 2
B - Make it editable with a double click (green symbol in object manager).
C - In point mode select the 10 points from the inner circle. Then use the collapse tool (you will find the tool easy with a right mouse click).
D - In point mode select now every second point (marked red) and use the transform tool to "scale". When you move your mouse to the left, the points will move all towards the center. Now you have the ground shape of the star.
E - By selecting the point in the middle and moving it up the star turns from flat to 3D. You can use then the symmetry modifier to create the counterpart. So the 3D form is complete.

Chose a colour/material of your choice and have a nice render!

- Novus

Attachments

• Part1.jpg
    Part1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,102
  • Part2.jpg
    Part2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,099
  • Part3.jpg
    Part3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,120
  • Part4.jpg
    Part4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,148
  • Star.jpg
    Star.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,094
Thanks, very useful.

Since I started few hours ago I'm a very pre-beginner.
So I'm stuck on how to create a nice star instead of the black star I get.

Please, can you add also how to complete the render? even if it's, maybe,
a stupid and obvious thing.
Perhaps many other will enjoy this step.

ciao

...So I'm stuck on how to create a nice star instead of the black star I get....

just a guess...
the star may render black if you used a reflective material (like metal) and there'n nothing to reflect except a black environment (in this case try using an HDRI or a skylight with geometry "on")

benvenuto BTW
Alessandro

Alessandro is right. And it is "normal" to fall into this metallic material trap :) Sorry that I forget to mention it!

- Novus

Thank you!

mmm,
I think I miss to many basic principles about 3d drawing......

ciao

p

Well, that question has been posted numerous times, so don't feel bad. In fact I believe it was the subject of my first post here :wink:
This forum is filled with very knowledgable, helpful and patient people, so don't hasitate to ask for help.
You'll be amazing yourself in no time.
I hope you enjoy it!!

Erin

Hi,
thank you all.

As soon as I'll have a clear and precise problem I'll surely ask!

The software is really easy, if you have in mind what you're going to do,
but I have to say that the online help is really confusing, maybe useful if you have the proper knowledge.

thanks again

ciao
p

Having trouble with the Christmas Star Tutorial

I just got C3D a few days ago. I am attempting to do the Christmas Star Tutorial. I can follow the directions fine until I get down to D:"In point mode select now every second point (marked red) and use the transform tool to "scale". When you move your mouse to the left, the points will move all towards the center. Now you have the ground shape of the star."

When I try to click on every other point, everything disappears. I have done it over and over with the same results. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

When I try to click on every other point, everything disappears. I have done it over and over with the same results. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Hi and welcome.
Hold the "Shift"-key down to "collect/add" points to your selection and hold down "cmd" -key down to subtract from your selection.

Cheers
Frank

Back