Creating a mesh out of bricks

Creating a mesh out of bricks

Here is a new tutorial I just created at Fry's request on this thread. Again, this is not my technique, but a guy's named A-man on the Luxrender forum. You can view the same tutorial on my blog. I'm including a file, named brick. that you will need to do the tutorial. I'll explain some other time how I got the single Lego brick.
Comments, suggestions, and corrections more than welcome. Enjoy!

Attachments

• brick.zip
    4 KB · Views: 908
  • Lego-Pig-Tut.jpg
    Lego-Pig-Tut.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 2,161
Last edited:
Reactions: DEO
Thanks, I am going to try that one later on. I think there is one number missing in step 8. You probably want to refer to step 6, now it just says step.

Thanks for posting this. When I tried to replicate your earlier post I couldn't figure out the alignment problem -- I missed the checkbox :)

What would be _really_ neat would be if you could bake the original model (especially if it had an interesting material) and then sample that to texture the cubes (so each cube was UV-mapped onto a single point on the baked map) making it look like a colored lego creation (for bonus points sample the cube then dither into actual available lego colors).

A script could do what I'm suggesting _fairly_ easily and we could then have a "lego" script modifier.

Attachments

• lego weasel.jpg
    lego weasel.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,028
Last edited:
Hi Andreu,
thank you very much for all these nice tutorials.:smile: :smile: :smile:

Kind regards
Martin

I am new and just discovering all the scripts!

Theoretically could destructible buildings with physics work with this?

I haven't explored it properly, so I should not ask dummy questions because it looks exciting with its potential.

I am new and just discovering all the scripts!

Theoretically could destructible buildings with physics work with this?

I haven't explored it properly, so I should not ask dummy questions because it looks exciting with its potential.

Not just theoretically — yes, this would work.

In general, if you use a particle mesh to create fragments for your explosion / demolition / whatever and then go from the model to the fragments with dynamics, and then use some video editing magic to handle the transition you're off to a solid start.

Back