Cheetah3D 5.6 preview

Context menu will be right-click then.

Um, control-[left-]clicking on a Mac is the equivalent of right-clicking, which appears to be the whole problem. This isn't even a user-configurable setting as far as I can tell. (But wait, upon rereading the post I believe you're actually using a private beta of 5.6, so that's my problem.)

Overloading ctrl-click is a bad idea though.

Last edited:
Um, control-[left-]clicking on a Mac is the equivalent of right-clicking, which appears to be the whole problem. This isn't even a user-configurable setting as far as I can tell.

Overloading ctrl-click is a bad idea though.

CTRL+Left Mouse usually indeed brings up the context menu. That was needed when Apple deliver just one button mice. But that is a long long time ago and I personally consider it as a one button mice relict.

I personally haven't used that feature anymore since I have a two button mouse. And I'm quite sure I'm not alone.

The lack of free modifieir keys (ALT, Control and Shift are already used) doesn't leave to many options by the way.

Only the UV editor and the 3D view overwrite the CTRL key by the way.

Bye
Martin

But that is a long long time ago and I personally consider it as a one button mice relic.

It's not a question of "using the feature" -- it's default OS-level behavior. I'm using a Magic Mouse (that's, what, a 2009 device?) on a 2010 Macbook Pro and it's (a) turned on by default for both the mouse and the trackpad and (b) I don't know how to turn it off. Do you? And whether or not you do, how many users will know?

CTRL+Left Mouse usually indeed brings up the context menu. That was needed when Apple deliver just one button mice. But that is a long long time ago and I personally consider it as a one button mice relict.

I personally haven't used that feature anymore since I have a two button mouse. And I'm quite sure I'm not alone.

The lack of free modifieir keys (ALT, Control and Shift are already used) doesn't leave to many options by the way.

Only the UV editor and the 3D view overwrite the CTRL key by the way.

Bye
Martin

I often use my macbook on the train, only using the trackpad...
So if I get it right, this will become impossible?

Filip

The "correct" way to right-click on a trackpad these days is two-fingers on the pad + click (once you get used to it, this is much easier than control-clicking or even using a right-button), so that's not the issue (or, at least, it's not MY issue). My issue is violating basic UI expectations.

re: 5.6

I always turn off extra mouse functions, being both a large, tall person as well as ham-handed has its disadvantages in a multi button mouse world... I'm always triggering functions I don't want with my giant hands.

It is turned on my default that is true since it is needed by one button mice. Even with touch pads you don't need it since you can configure the touch pad to make a right button click buy using the lower right corner.

Bye
Martin

The "correct" way to right-click on a trackpad these days is two-fingers on the pad + click (once you get used to it, this is much easier than control-clicking or even using a right-button), so that's not the issue (or, at least, it's not MY issue). My issue is violating basic UI expectations.

It would be interesting to know how many expect or even know that feature.

As I said. I know that it is a default feature but I personally consider it a wast of modifier keys. There are only 4 modifier keys and one is wasted by this one button mouse relict.

Bye
Martin

The "correct" way to right-click on a trackpad these days is two-fingers on the pad + click (once you get used to it, this is much easier than control-clicking or even using a right-button), so that's not the issue (or, at least, it's not MY issue).

Sorry for bringing this up then, seems like I have to learn how to work with the track pad :redface:

I'm thinking about moving the sticky key to the "<>" key but for the first public beta I will stay with CTRL.

Bye
Martin

I'm with podperson on this one. I use control instead of right clicking all the time. I use a Wacom tablet and pen and don't like the right click button on the pen and prefer the control key (in all apps) - I could be in the minority though

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

I wouldn't like to be in Martin´s shoes. ;)

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

I wouldn't like to be in Martin´s shoes. ;)

Hi Frank, I like your Quote :smile:

I think Martin is smart enough to see that these remarks are meant as positive feedback...

I think Martin is smart enough to see that these remarks are meant as positive feedback...

Absolutely! Merely letting Martin know that there are users out there still using control as right click. If Martin decides that the control key is better implemented as another feature then I'm sure I'll adjust accordingly

I agree with Frank, do not envy Martin's position.

I only use right-click on my magic mouse and wacom. The control key is just a modifier in my little bubble world :rolleyes:

However, with that being said, what ever key becomes the 'sticky' one, as long as I can map one of my tablet's buttons to it, I'm a happy c3d-er.

mike

I'm with podperson on this one. I use control instead of right clicking all the time. I use a Wacom tablet and pen and don't like the right click button on the pen and prefer the control key (in all apps) - I could be in the minority though

An option to choose would always be welcome:
On my pen, I always use the right click, and use as little keypad buttons as possible, other than the number pad to assign the most used hotkeys.

This way, one hand controls most of the work and makes things way easier than, Blender's 2 hand approach for example, especially for the camera control icons in Cheetah3D, which are extremely useful for navigating a scene fluidly with the camera. Very useful feature IMO.

Back