Curving a rope

Curving a rope

I have created a length of rope by assembling many sections from an original section. Presently it is aligned in one straight line.
I would like to give the entire rope a slight curve and I cannot figure out an effective way to do this.I think the wrap feature seems to hold the answer but the rope only "bends" in individual sections and there is noticeable distortion.
I feel sure there must be simple way of "bending" anything.If someone could let me know how to do this I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks
Limey

Attachments

• BentRope.jas.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 562
  • BentRope.jpg
    BentRope.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,269
Last edited:
Frank
it looks perfect according to your image...I have added the script and it shows up nicely in the object browser but, please excuse my ignorance,what do I do next ?

Do I bring the Pathed Helix into my group box ? That doesn't seem to achieve anything ! Am I right in thinking that using the path helix I should start producing another rope model.If not, I can't understand exactly how to create the "bend"in my present model.

I have attached my rope section and an image of the object browser.

Thanks
Peter

Attachments

• rope model.jpg
    rope model.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • object browser image.jpg
    object browser image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,124
Hi Peter.
The script is a whole replacement of the rope and you get the bending from a curved spline. The script will generated a rope around it.

Cheers
Frank

Frank
Well.....I have tried and tried to get this script to produce a rope but I am drawing a total blank here...It all looks so simple but I am missing something very elementary here.I just can't figure out what it is.If you could give me a few more clues it might help.
Thanks
Limey

Hi Limey.
Hope the anim GIF will help you out. If it´s too fast, save it to disc, open it with preview.app and zap through the stages.
BentRope.gif

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Frank
that shows everything I need to get the job done.....great presentation, thanks a lot for your help.
Peter

Frank
I am getting good results for one strand only,alas I cannot find a "strands" option shown in your tutorial.Where would I find that? I assume it would show up in the place I have indicated or where exactly?
Thanks
Peter

Attachments

• NO STRAND OPTION.jpg
    NO STRAND OPTION.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,027
Frank
I am presently using Cheetah Version 4 and I hope to upgrade real soon.

I will check out your fix and hopefully I'll be able to produce three strands instead of just one strand which will obviously not support the same weight and might end up breaking.This could possibly cause serious bodily harm and I'd have to sue if that happened.....

My attorney is standing by with his tongue hanging out....!

Limey

I just downloaded the amended script and I now I am able to add more strands to my rope thus creating a sturdier and much safer product....It looks as if litigation is no longer a possibility....whew....

Last edited:
Hi Frank
unfortunately, although I now get my strands option ,I now get a Javascript error notice whenever I attempt to execute the very last step....and I have tried all permutations of that just for the heck of it.

I have attached the java error notice, does it give you any clue about what the problem might be ? Do I need to upgrade my version to get this to work ?

Thanks again
Peter

I tried with SnowLeopard and v5.3 but the script crashes Cheetah all the times (reproducible). Maybe Martin will take a look into it? let me know if you need any log

thank you,
Alessandro

I tried with SnowLeopard and v5.3 but the script crashes Cheetah all the times (reproducible). Maybe Martin will take a look into it? let me know if you need any log
Better not - I mean I can´t help any further with the script - wonder why it´s working here now.
Thanks for taking the time Alessandro. So we have a serious problem here as Todd shines in absentia - unfortunately.
@ Peter. If you´re in the need of a mesh I can try to help you out if you like. Send what you have so far and I will answer with a mesh so you can proceed with your project.

I will try to contact Todd as there are more of his sheer genius scripts broken.

Cheers
Frank

Helis script

Hi Limey.
Hope the anim GIF will help you out. If it´s too fast, save it to disc, open it with preview.app and zap through the stages.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,

I just want to know where can I find this Pathed helix script. I am using cheetah 3d 6.3 version. Hope you can help me how to make a rope.

Thanks,
William

Hi Limey
Maybe you could try this alternative option. I have only used the C3D on-board tools (helical sweep plus array plus bend), so it may work with version 4.
Cheers from Vienna

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 12.18.23.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 12.18.23.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 367
Post scriptum

On second thoughts:
Replace the array with a ring. That way you don´t get "frayed out" ends of the rope.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 12.26.18.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 12.26.18.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 378
Back