Tabbed Files Instead of Separate File Windows (Solved)

I thought this might have been asked for before, but I don't see it anywhere when I search for it. It would be really helpful to me to have all the different files I have open to be tabbed in the main app window, instead of different individual windows. I have to shuffle through a lot of model variations, which is a little more cumbersome to do through the Menu Bar > Window > File selection.

Last edited:
I actually work pretty well by putting the different Cheetah3D windows in different Desktop spaces. It's how I usually work with multiple apps at the same time. A three finger swipe on the trackpad moves from one project to the other. If the Render window is open, though, it will live in one space rather than moving with your focus.

I actually work pretty well by putting the different Cheetah3D windows in different Desktop spaces. It's how I usually work with multiple apps at the same time. A three finger swipe on the trackpad moves from one project to the other. If the Render window is open, though, it will live in one space rather than moving with your focus.
I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but I pretty much never use that Spaces feature. I'm on a desktop, so I don't have a trackpad. I'll give it a try though and see how it works out. Although I think having a built in tab function would be easier overall.

Just as a current example. I'm working on a project with our engineer and have 9 different files open. So I'm having to flip back and forth between all of them while we are discussing some of the intricate details and double checking how correct they are modeled. They share some parts across the different construction methods.

I filled each part with a different bright color just so I can tell them apart for now. When the files are done, all the inside structure will be mill finish Aluminum / Steel.

Attachments

• C3d Engineered.jpeg
    C3d Engineered.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 128
I thought this might have been asked for before, but I don't see it anywhere when I search for it. It would be really helpful to me to have all the different files I have open to be tabbed in the main app window, instead of different individual windows. I have to shuffle through a lot of model variations, which is a little more cumbersome to do through the Menu Bar > Window > File selection.
C3D has been as you describe for years for me.
I believe you may have to go to System Preferences(system settings)/Desktop & Dock/Windows & Apps/Prefer tabs when opening documents >> Always.

Does that help?
-- shift studio.

C3D has been as you describe for years for me.
I believe you may have to go to System Preferences(system settings)/Desktop & Dock/Windows & Apps/Prefer tabs when opening documents >> Always.

Does that help?
-- shift studio.
Thanks. I don't see a preference labeled "Desktop & Dock". There's a "Desktop & Screen Saver" and a "Dock & Menu Bar" option. Are you on Ventura?

If there is a built in way to do this now in Mac OS, that would be pretty awesome. (I'm on Monterey, but this would get me to upgrade.)

Edit: Ok, that option is under the General group on Monterey. But that works! Wow, I had no idea this was even an option. I really appreciate that. It will make switching between files so much easier.

I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but I pretty much never use that Spaces feature. I'm on a desktop, so I don't have a trackpad. I'll give it a try though and see how it works out. Although I think having a built in tab function would be easier overall.
Once the laptops got the huge trackpad, I gave up on mice altogether - I could finally work anywhere instead of needing a tabletop for the mouse. But I did use Apple's Magic Mouse the same way, since the top if it was effectively a trackpad.

Thanks. I don't see a preference labeled "Desktop & Dock". There's a "Desktop & Screen Saver" and a "Dock & Menu Bar" option. Are you on Ventura?

If there is a built in way to do this now in Mac OS, that would be pretty awesome. (I'm on Monterey, but this would get me to upgrade.)

Edit: Ok, that option is under the General group on Monterey. But that works! Wow, I had no idea this was even an option. I really appreciate that. It will make switching between files so much easier.

Glad that worked for you!

Yes, I'm using Ventura and it has re-organised the system preferences so that must be why. I don't know what the default is, but I've had it turned on for several years. Yes, it's good. Now we need Command ~ for cycling through tabs like the Adobe apps.

Once the laptops got the huge trackpad, I gave up on mice altogether - I could finally work anywhere instead of needing a tabletop for the mouse. But I did use Apple's Magic Mouse the same way, since the top if it was effectively a trackpad.
One of the other designer's here prefers the trackpad, but it drives me crazy. The accuracy for snapping in Illustrator is a bit jumpy using a trackpad to me. Whenever I'd lift my finger the trackpad would see it as a slight movement. I had a magic mouse for a while that came with my work iMac, but I got to a point where I wanted to chuck it out onto the street. The scrolling would go haywire, and then there was no true middle mouse button/scroll wheel.

Glad that worked for you!

Yes, I'm using Ventura and it has re-organised the system preferences so that must be why. I don't know what the default is, but I've had it turned on for several years. Yes, it's good. Now we need Command ~ for cycling through tabs like the Adobe apps.
Agreed. I drive very fast with keyboard shortcuts. Some of the other designers I work with only use a handful of them, and I'm always surprised they don't just learn the majority of them. It's like driving a stick shift on your computer. :D

I understand. Most of my work is in text, and I'm very used to zooming way in when I need accuracy. Retiring the Magic Mouse was far easier once the trackpad got big.

I really do recommend experimenting with Desktop Spaces whenever you have more than one app open, though. It's more intuitive with a trackpad, but keyboard shortcuts keep it useful on a desktop/mouse combo.

Control Up Arrow to open the main Spaces screen, move your mouse up to the navigation bar to open previews of every space at the same time, click or use Left and Right Arrows to shift between spaces, and click the Plus sign on the top right to build a new Space. Clicking an app on the dock will take you to the foreground window of that application automagically, and on the main screen, you can drop windows on the thumbnails, or drag windows and selections to the left or right edges of your working screen to shift from one Space to another.

I understand. Most of my work is in text, and I'm very used to zooming way in when I need accuracy. Retiring the Magic Mouse was far easier once the trackpad got big.

I really do recommend experimenting with Desktop Spaces whenever you have more than one app open, though. It's more intuitive with a trackpad, but keyboard shortcuts keep it useful on a desktop/mouse combo.

Control Up Arrow to open the main Spaces screen, move your mouse up to the navigation bar to open previews of every space at the same time, click or use Left and Right Arrows to shift between spaces, and click the Plus sign on the top right to build a new Space. Clicking an app on the dock will take you to the foreground window of that application automagically, and on the main screen, you can drop windows on the thumbnails, or drag windows and selections to the left or right edges of your working screen to shift from one Space to another.
I really should get in the habit of using Spaces. Especially because I have to do a lot of virtual meetings using Teams and Zoom where I share my screen. It would be better to have a dedicated screen layout when doing those. That way all the junk I have on my desktop isn't seen. :unsure::LOL: Just kind of lazy to learn a new thing. 🧓

* There also is the option to right-click in the dock. This lists not only the currently active jas models (indicated by a windowy icon), but also a recent history of any C3D projects (indicated by a C3D icon) you have edited.
* The default setting is 10 items in the recent history but you can modify that in the system prefs.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 04.59.23.png

* There also is the option to right-click in the dock. This lists not only the currently active jas models (indicated by a windowy icon), but also a recent history of any C3D projects (indicated by a C3D icon) you have edited.
* The default setting is 10 items in the recent history but you can modify that in the system prefs.

View attachment 39167
Thanks Helmut. Also good tips! I typically have used the Menu Bar > File > Open Recent, but the way you've described has extra functionality.

Back