Soft Body Tag

Yeah - reminds of a lot of foolish things that can happen.
Although it´s quite fun in the end:
Blasebalg.gif

Not sure why Wind-effector don´t seem to do anything.

Cheers
Frank

Does the object affected by the wind have to be "nailed" to another, stationary object?
No, if you look at the Soft Body Flag file the flag pole is just sitting there, nothing is anchored to it.
The Anchor Tag does not need an object to anchor to, it will anchor in mid air.

So far I can't find any way to use an SB Tag on a rigged character. :sick:
I wanted to try that out too.

I very rarely work with Dynamics because they never want to do what I want and it's especially difficult with character animation. But then I wondered if you could make a character like "Noodle" in Cheetah and came across this thread.
Do you know the animated cat and dog "Noodle and Bun"? Here is an example:

I was thinking about how such a wobbly character could be feasible and then I realized that the first video in this thread is already a Noodle, just in a very reduced form. And the ball that animates the whole thing could also be a bone. And after all, several anchor tags work at the same time, so a whole skeleton also works. It's a bit cumbersome, but I tested it with a very simple character: my bear called Dumpling.
The arms, legs and head each have a separate anchor tag with different anchor points that follow the corresponding bone. The skeleton is also bound. Of course, it also works without binding, but then you can't see exactly what you are animating, because the character only follows when you play the animation.
But when the mesh is connected to the anchor points and the bones, things get a bit wild. Then I simply switched off the skeleton tag again before rendering.

Here for comparison (same animation):

Skeleton tag on
dumpling1_small.gif

Skeleton tag off
dumpling2-small.gif

Another idea was to simply attach soft body parts to the character:

hase_tanzt-ezgif.com-optimize.gif

This works quite well as long as the parts don't collide.
And that's the problem, that a rigged, animated character can't collide because the mesh is only simulated and doesn't actually change.

I also tried a complete softbody with self collision and it worked, but sometimes it ends in disaster. I don't always know exactly why. I guess I just need to test more...
hase_walk.gif

Also a little Cloth simulation would be nice, just a cloak or something. And because Knödel is already a rigged softbody, I thought he'd get a cape. As a softbody, the mesh follows him after all and is where it is when the simulation is baked. But it doesn't collide with another soft body. At least I don't know how. So I keyframed the points at each frame and then made a rigid body out of dumpling. Yes, that's a bit time-consuming, but I couldn't think of a simpler solution. The simulation isn't particularly pretty and doesn't really do what it's supposed to - I just can't get my head around the settings - but at least it works in principle.
dumpling_cape_back.gif

Maybe someone has ideas on how to make it easier and better.

(The characters are generated with a free AI, by the way. Some results are pretty good, others not so much, but for these simple, quick tests it was enough for me. And you can even download a mesh with quads in high, medium or low)

I did some experiments (no renders) a while back with using weight painting to influence only part of a character (like belly jiggle) that sort of worked. Hard to control, though.

Your renders look good, though!

I did some experiments (no renders) a while back with using weight painting to influence only part of a character (like belly jiggle) that sort of worked. Hard to control, though.

Your renders look good, though!
I also tried something with weight painting - I can't remember exactly what, I tried so much - but it wasn't as successful - as it always is when I do weight painting. :rolleyes:
But I can imagine that it also works if you do it right.

I made a few test shorts with a revised Dumpling to try out different dynamics in combination, like Rope or Effectors or inflating (Good idea Zoohead. In this case I did it with record points instead of morph tag).

The cape thing also works well and was easier than I first thought. You just have to find the right settings.

cape_beugen.gif

But I still have one question. Sometimes the simulation doesn't want to return to the starting position when I go to start. Is there anything I can do?

Back