Second Monitor! How?

SOF

I am a frequent user of Final Cut Pro X and have my 'viewer window' on my 17" secondary display and the rest of my editing windows on my 27" iMac.

It would be so nice to have the 3D or Perspective display on my secondary display.

The 'Multiple Monitor Support' thread on 'Wish List', looked highly relevant and it seems from Somian's post

"I'm joyfully using cheetah 3D here and I usually use it with two monitors. One for the render window and one for basically everything else"

that such is already possible.

What am I missing or do I ask Somian directly?

C3D doesn’t support multiple windows for the same scene. You can put the render window on a separate screen which is better than nothing, (but not much).

:unsure: Not sure if that helps at all, but:
* You can have >1 view ports in a single C3D window.
* If required, tailor one of the custom layouts to your need and save.
* You can define hotkeys for any of the layouts, so you can switch as needed. As compared to a secondary monitor you neither have to turn your head nor do you need to refocus.
Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 11.32.46.png

:unsure: Not sure if that helps at all, but:
* You can have >1 view ports in a single C3D window.
* If required, tailor one of the custom layouts to your need and save.
* You can define hotkeys for any of the layouts, so you can switch as needed. As compared to a secondary monitor you neither have to turn your head nor do you need to refocus.
View attachment 34461
Hi Helmut,

yep I know all that, but what I would like, is having the one 'effect' window, or even the four 'Camera/Left/Front/Top' window group on one monitor and having all the 'cause' 'panes' on the main monitor; aka FCPX as shown in the attachment
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71f.jpg

@ SOF
Hi.
Just aside: is this a SuperDrive on the rack and working with your iMac? I´m asking because my internal iMac2011 SD died and I have already tried 3 external third-party drives with practically no success. The latest mounted a few DVDs after I spent an extra USB-power adapter - but won´t play the whole film; coming up with stupid warnings like "damaged area will be skipped" - these are new DVD first running here. I literally go mad about it as I have a very large library I can´t use anymore. (some from Sony came with a digitally streaming service which will end this month as Sony will abandon service - so no access this way either) I´m desperate about this. Sorry for the tears.
Cheers
Frank

@ SOF
Hi.
Just aside: is this a SuperDrive on the rack and working with your iMac? I´m asking because my internal iMac2011 SD died and I have already tried 3 external third-party drives with practically no success. The latest mounted a few DVDs after I spent an extra USB-power adapter - but won´t play the whole film; coming up with stupid warnings like "damaged area will be skipped" - these are new DVD first running here. I literally go mad about it as I have a very large library I can´t use anymore. (some from Sony came with a digitally streaming service which will end this month as Sony will abandon service - so no access this way either) I´m desperate about this. Sorry for the tears.
Cheers
Frank
Hi Frank,

firstly can I send you deeply felt gratitude for all the trouble you and your fellow members of this wonderful Form show to we beginners.

As for the DVD drive, the STUPID use of a vertical DVD/CD superdrive in the iMac, almost guaranteed to urge the read/write head away from the disc surface.
I have had to take apart too many iMacs and internal Super-drives to depend on them.

This forced me to use an external USB drive. I have very few DVDs left, using USB thumb drives and the cloud (pCloud) to store data, but the Matshita DVD=R UJ-846 seems OK. Its the quality of the DVDs that makes 'em stick.

So if it´s an original Apple external my iMac2011 isn´t in the support list. It´s the pest. I have no idea how to find one that will work other than let Apple do the repair - which isn´t really an option putting the same device in there again&again. (it has now it´s third graphic board since 2011 and against their promises it´s not upgraded ones - same stupid piece of :poop:) :sick:
firstly can I send you deeply felt gratitude for all the trouble you and your fellow members of this wonderful Form show to we beginners.
We were all beginners at some stage - no?

Cheers
Frank

So if it´s an original Apple external my iMac2011 isn´t in the support list. It´s the pest. I have no idea how to find one that will work other than let Apple do the repair - which isn´t really an option putting the same device in there again&again. (it has now it´s third graphic board since 2011 and against their promises it´s not upgraded ones - same stupid piece of :poop:) :sick:

We were all beginners at some stage - no?

Cheers
Frank
The external drive is the Matshita. to replace the slot loading Superdrive in your A1312/EMC 2429 iMac , takes suction cups to get the screen off and a lot of patience,, see

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2429+Optical+Drive+Replacement/7583

Good Luck

Thanks for the link. iFixit already known. But I'm not going to put a slot-in in. I'm more in the search of an external drive as all of our iMacs/MacBookPros suffer from dead optical drives - 4 in a row. No luck so far.
Cheers
Frank
PS.: still wondering why just iMacs from 2012 and newer are supportet by Apple's own external SD.

Back