Cant add texture after exporting from MeshMixer

jteix96

Hi guys,

I've edited my model in MeshMixer and then exported the model as a obj file. I opened this file in cheetah and then saved it as a .jas file.

Now when I try to add a texture to my model, it just uses a solid color and doesn't use the actual texture.

Here are some examples. The texture applied is highlighted accordingly in the screenshots.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 9.06.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 9.06.48 AM.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 283
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 9.07.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 9.07.28 AM.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 9.12.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 9.12.16 AM.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 266
Not sure - but after meshmixing why do you think the old texture should fit the new mesh? Where should the new UV-map come from? Have you checked UVs already - are there any?

Cheers
Frank

Not sure - but after meshmixing why do you think the old texture should fit the new mesh? Where should the new UV-map come from? Have you checked UVs already - are there any?

Cheers
Frank

I meshmixed the model without any texture previously applied to it.

I checked the UV and its just blank white. I tried unwrapping the UV and it did show a couple thin lines and thats about it. Is there a way around this?

So it just came in without any UVs at all. Not sure about the texture but if its just a plain color why not adding a new one? Or is there any painted detail on it formerly?

Cheers
Frank

Okay I added the texture after messing around with the UV mapping and now im getting the actual texture appearing. I'm just not that familiar with UV mapping. Is there a tutorial on this in cheetah 3d?

So it just came in without any UVs at all. Not sure about the texture but if its just a plain color why not adding a new one? Or is there any painted detail on it formerly?

Cheers
Frank

There was nothing on it formerly. Just a plain mesh. I'm trying to get the texture to appear not just a solid color. I manage to unwrap the UV so the texture is showing now, but I cant really interact with the UV. Alot of it is sticking out of the white box that appears in the UV editing mode window.

I'm just not that familiar with UV mapping. Is there a tutorial on this in cheetah 3d?

There are a few things in the tutorial section: UV Mapping Tutorials. (You can search in subforums for your keywords).

The principle, though, is in every software more or less the same, so you could profit from watching a few tutorials about it for other apps; maybe some tools are not there in Cheetah, but the most important thing is to find the right edges to use as seams. After doing this several times, you'll start to see where to cut the model to get usable uv maps (or if you can get away with something like an atlas map which often is enough for painting in other programs like substance).

After a while you will get better and better at it. But, like most people, you'll probably never really like to do it. That's normal. Most of us hate it, but it is still necessary. And it's the one thing in 3d that can't be done perfectly. There are always seems and often unavoidable distortion. The art in uv mapping is just to have enough experience to know where those things are the least disturbing (after many, many years, I still find it hard sometimes to get that best compromise).

Thank you guys! I managed to get a great mapping with a different texture that worked better, using the UV mapper tool. This tool is a life saver!

I had a chance to look into your mesh - and because of it´s triangulated density (where setting seams literally won´t work) you can Vertex color paint directly on the mesh with the brush-tool set to "Color". :D

Cheers

I had a chance to look into your mesh - and because of it´s triangulated density (where setting seams literally won´t work) you can Vertex color paint directly on the mesh with the brush-tool set to "Color". :D

Cheers

Thank you Frank!! I had no idea about this tool!

Back