Particle spline questions?

When using the particle spline should the objects align with the points on the spline? Mine don't.
Also why doesn't the spline changes update automatically ?

* AFAIK:
* Points on a spline and instances on a particle spline are not interrelated. The particle spline populates the spline with n (= number of particles as defined) with equally spaced instances.
* If you require an irregular spacing: For precise control of the PM, you will have to use a flat path (= line on a 2D / 3D curve) and deploy a particle mesh with a polygon base.
* Shifting points on a spline does not show in the editor (the particle spline remains static) but it does show in an animation (record points or whatever).
* To update ad hoc / in real time: Just toggle the visibility in the object browser off / on.

Last edited:
It occurred to me you could use a Poly Plane and a Particle Mesh.
Particles at points and it animates as well.

* Given your existing spline:
1 add an extrusion modifier to create a narrow strip
2 generate a particle mesh; point type, repeat order, alignment off
3 populate with object required
4 add an second dummy object (in my example a bone); this can be a real object with visibility toggled off

* You can now move the points of the original spline and the objects will move in parallel along X, Y and Z :whistle:

Screenshot 2019-05-27 at 06.55.46.png

If you just want to populate something via particle mesh all you need is points (in an empty polygon object):
PopulationViaPoints.gif

I´m still not sure why Bob wants to use the Particle Spline. I guess he has reasons.

Cheers
Frank

* Maybe a personal matter, but I find free-floating points frustrating to handle. As they are not linked to some visible geometry, it is difficult / impossible to conceptualise their position in 3D space.
* I much prefer to use constructors, visible in E-space (maybe wireframed) and hidden in R-space. YMMV :unsure:

How dare you two, personal indeed.:rolleyes: Using it as per your examples.Still messing with the trees.
@Zoo I hope I didn't offend. Didn't think it was worth any band width, so no image.

If you just want to populate something via particle mesh all you need is points (in an empty polygon object)

That's a pretty neat trick! It took me a moment to figure out how to create an empty polygon object and still have "Insert Point" available in the Tools menu, but I finally worked it out. It's kinda fun to populate an area with Particle Mesh objects just by selecting "Insert Point" and clicking here and there!

I use Particle Meshes for lots of things, most of which rely on polygon selections on the "guide" mesh to determine where objects are placed. But I'm glad to have another option should the need arise!

Back