Zombie Walk

Just playing with some character rigging.

zombe-walk2.gif

Hey Zoo: You are getting very good at this... Tutorial please on the IK? set up. Thanks.
Please think about rigging a hand with IK? for Open-Closed hand. I'd like to do this but alas it escapes me. I enclosed a rig with finger joints. If you'd want to give it a try. if you have any success I'd like to see your notes on the procedure. That is if you want to at all.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Rig Only.zip
    27 KB · Views: 275
Depending on how much you're using the hands for, why not just make poses and record them to the Pose Tag. I wouldn't use IK on hands. I wish Cheetah had the ability to make sliders for different movements then you can combine things pretty endlessly.

Bob

Hey Zoo: You are getting very good at this... Tutorial please on the IK? set up. Thanks.
Please think about rigging a hand with IK? for Open-Closed hand. I'd like to do this but alas it escapes me. I enclosed a rig with finger joints. If you'd want to give it a try. if you have any success I'd like to see your notes on the procedure. That is if you want to at all.
Thanks again.

Thanks Unc, this rig is unconventional. I'm calling it my Monster Rig, or Stiff Neck Rig because you can't
rotate the head without turning the torso. Many old style monsters, like Frankenstein, have a stiff neck.
You may think maybe it's the bolts, but in reality it's because of all the latex rubber used for the makeup.
If he twisted his neck you could see wrinkles.

This rig has a spline based inclinometer, to better see the angle of the "hip" joint.

This is a big topic. Are you going to animate, or just posing for stills.

Depending on how much you're using the hands for, why not just make poses and record them to the Pose Tag. I wouldn't use IK on hands. I wish Cheetah had the ability to make sliders for different movements then you can combine things pretty endlessly.

Bob

A morph tag for bones would be cool, but for now you can use the time line slider. Since Cheetah will "tween" key frames,
you can key from the Pose Tag and then move the timeline between key frames until you get the "morphed" pose you're after.

PS: There may be times when IK would be good for fingers, but you're right about the Pose Tag. I use it like salt, on everything.

I'm soooo behind on my Cheetah experiments! I've wanted to recreated my dinosaur rigs and have only put a few parts together. 3D is a hobby and my three jobs to make ends meet keeps getting in the way!

Bob

I feel the same way, except I'm retired with no job and too many hobbies.

I'll post some variations for human forms, which may help with dino building in some way.

The monster rig was a mistake, because I forgot how I'm supposed to build a rig.
Which led me to a greater understanding of the flexibility of rig building.

Even though the monster rig's head can't be rotated without
the torso, the shoulders can be rotated without the head.

monstertwist.gif

Here's a little graphic I follow that a guy that developed this great set of rigging tools for Cinema4D uses as a guide. It's for the bone structure.

Bob

Attachments

• HTree.jpg
    HTree.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 303
Actually, I think your head and neck/chest bones are set up in the wrong direction. Should be flipped pointing up, no?

Thanks Unc, this rig is unconventional. I'm calling it my Monster Rig, or Stiff Neck Rig because you can't
rotate the head without turning the torso. Many old style monsters, like Frankenstein, have a stiff neck.
You may think maybe it's the bolts, but in reality it's because of all the latex rubber used for the makeup.
If he twisted his neck you could see wrinkles.

This rig has a spline based inclinometer, to better see the angle of the "hip" joint.

This is a big topic. Are you going to animate, or just posing for stills.

A morph tag for bones would be cool, but for now you can use the time line slider. Since Cheetah will "tween" key frames,
you can key from the Pose Tag and then move the timeline between key frames until you get the "morphed" pose you're after.

PS: There may be times when IK would be good for fingers, but you're right about the Pose Tag. I use it like salt, on everything.
I would be using it for stills mostly.

Here's the rig. Don't use the spline in the torso as a control,
it's just for visual feedback for the "hip" joint.

There are three Takes, one has no animation in it, the others do.
Use the empty one to play with. And study the other two.

Attachments

• Monster Rig.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 304
Here's a leg with some foot controls if anyone is interested. Thanks to Zoo for finding a scaling problem that crept in while experimenting.

Attachments

• IK_quad-leg-zhd.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 289
@bobziila poses would be good but... how would you set a pose for each hand (lots of hand poses) then change the whole body to a pose and save that as a pose, then decide to change the pose and the hand pose as well. it just seems to me if the hand had a open-close IK (fist-spread fingers) then you could change the hands on any body pose with a faster work flow. Wouldn't even have to save a pose at all.

Well, yeah, wouldn't be easy. Sliders would make it easier. Perhaps using some of Hiroto's scripts might make it a little easier.

Bob

He has a few that start with "f-curve". I htink F-curve Controller might do the trick. I haven't figured them all out yet, and not sure why they are called f-curve, as I don't go into the curves to use the scripts.

@bobziila poses would be good but... how would you set a pose for each hand (lots of hand poses) then change the whole body to a pose and save that as a pose, then decide to change the pose and the hand pose as well. it just seems to me if the hand had a open-close IK (fist-spread fingers) then you could change the hands on any body pose with a faster work flow. Wouldn't even have to save a pose at all.
You can set Key Frames down the hierarchy for the whole rig, and then just for the hands.
I'll have to play more with your model to see what I can do...

Monster stretch:

monsterstretch.gif

Back