How do I install a script ?

I am relatively new to Cheetah 3D and after getting used to the basics I have just discovered that an interesting supply of useful scripts are available....
However, I have no clue how to install them. I'm sure it is quite straightforward but I cannot find any instructions online on how to do it and I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks
Limey

There are different types of scripts: polygon-, spline-, tool-, tag-scripts etc and they belong to the corresponding folders at HD/users/user/library/application support/Cheetah3d/scripts/etc

Cheers
Frank

:sneaky: Note for newbies:
* If you use scripts extensively (or write stacks of little .js tools yourself), you may find it useful to create a hierarchy of subfolders. This makes it much easier to locate the fitting function.
* Updates of the C3D version do not affect the customised structure of scripts (idem for materials).

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 17.41.52.png

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 17.55.56.png

* Out of curiosity: I (ESL speaker) thought Limey was a somewhat derogatory label? So much for the benefits of ascorbic acid :eek:

There are different types of scripts: polygon-, spline-, tool-, tag-scripts etc and they belong to the corresponding folders at HD/users/user/library/application support/Cheetah3d/scripts/etc

Cheers
Frank

Thanks for the speedy reply Frank.
* If you use scripts extensively (or write stacks of little .js tools yourself), you may find it useful to create a hierarchy of subfolders. This makes it much easier to locate the fitting function.
* Updates of the C3D version do not affect the customised structure of scripts (idem for materials).

View attachment 33640

View attachment 33641

* Out of curiosity: I (ESL speaker) thought Limey was a somewhat derogatory label? So much for the benefits of ascorbic acid :eek:

Cheers
Frank

Cheers
Frank

Frank
thanks for getting back to me so quickly
Right after I wrote the post I rather lately, and rather typically, remembered to check the link you mention in application support.Alas, there was absolutely nothing there ???
Then I suddenly remembered, using the same somewhat overused technique mentioned previously, that right clicking on an icon in my applications folder would open up the "show package contents" and all was revealed. That's a good enough place to start the process, I'll see how I get on from there.

I'll post again if I still have issues.....
thanks again
Limey

Cheers
Frank

View attachment 33640

View attachment 33641

Thanks for the great suggestions Helmut, it will help to keep things tidy and manageable.

Yes "Limey" used to be a derogatory term for sailors in the British Royal Navy around 1850s. It was the practice of the Navy to add lemon juice to the watered down rum daily called "grog". The vitamin C, as you know, prevented scurvy and enabled the crew to stay fit and healthy. Maybe the derogatory part evolved because the Navy kept the secret to themselves for many years and watched with humor while their fellow international mariners floated past them on the high seas all sick and listless ?????
In any event they later chose to do away with the lemons and add limes, obtained more easily from the British colonies instead, not realizing that they had less vitamin C to prevent the disease...serves them right I guess, they ended up right where they started from. The usage continued and is a term that nowadays includes any British person. Derogatory or not I am not emotionally fragile enough to care either way and I think it has a certain healthy ring to it. Besides, my friends call that.

I too am an ESL speaker, my first language is English and my second language is American English :)

Right after I wrote the post I rather lately, and rather typically, remembered to check the link you mention in application support.Alas, there was absolutely nothing there ???
There are 2 application support folders on a Mac. Please check again at HD/users/user/library/application support/Cheetah3d/scripts/etc. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Hi,
forgive me dumb question, because you answered it above but I am on MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.6. and I want to add script but both ways /screen capture attached/:
1. Macintosh HD/biblioteki(in polish means-library)/application support/ ... ?
2. Macintosh HD/Użytkownicy(eng. Users)/RetinaMJ/... ?
Shows no Cheetah. Hm, what shall I do?

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2019-09-21 o 17.09.36.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2019-09-21 o 17.09.36.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Zrzut ekranu 2019-09-21 o 17.11.29.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2019-09-21 o 17.11.29.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 399
* AFAIK, it is the shift key. Works whilst the menu is dropped down in toggle mode.
Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 17.53.31.png

* There is also an option to have it permanently displayed ion the menu.

Just to update this thread a little, I think you can press command-shift-period (⇧⌘.) to toggle the visibility of invisible items anywhere on a Mac. So at any time if you open your home folder and the Library folder isn't visible, press command-shift-period to see it (and the rest of the invisible items).

Here's an AppleScript for your AppleScript menu that will open your Cheetah 3D Scripts folder in Finder. Anyone care to create a javascript version for the C3D Scripts menu (or did someone do that already and I just missed it)?

Code:
set this_user to do shell script "id -un"
tell application "Finder"
    activate
    try
        open alias ((path to "usrs" from user domain as string) & this_user & ":Library:Application Support:Cheetah3D:Scripts:")
        set the bounds of window 1 to {285, 74, 1300, 600}
        set the current view of window 1 to icon view
        set collapsed of window 1 to false
    on error
        tell me to display dialog "A window couldn't be opened." buttons {"Cancel", "Continue"} default button 2 giving up after 3
    end try
end tell

Btw. just found Apple renamed the German User folder:
Apple_gender.png

It means the new way to call male and female and people between.
I'm not sure if old links to paths will still work.

Back