Hello, thinking about purchace

Hello, thinking about purchace

New to 3D Modeling, though I have been using SKetchUp which I understand is a bit different.

Whats the curve compared to SketchUp, which wasn't bad.

Since this is built only for macOS, what are the advantages over other software across multiple platforms?

Please take care of me.

Hi and Welcome!
That pretty much depends on what you have in mind to build. While Cheetah3d is a subdivision modeler, SketchUp has a CAD-Kernel and needs plug-ins for organic modeling for instance.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome!
That pretty much depends on what you have in mind to build. While Cheetah3d is a subdivision modeler, SketchUp has a CAD-Kernel and needs plug-ins for organic modeling for instance.

Cheers
Frank

Mostly furniture and buildings. Does anyone have the breakdown of how Cheetah uses the hardware. Viewport vs rendering, etc? I'd be interested in learning more.

My other issue is there seems to be far less learning tutorials and resources for this program online (and on Youtube). How much of an issue would this be for someone starting out?

Last edited:
Hi Tiny

Cheetah's Plus:
- In my book the most easy 3d software to learn
- Very affordable
- Fast
- Good render-quality all in all (see Minus)
- Forum (the people here help and some of them, foremost of all Frank, are very good problem solvers who find new ways to get stuff done)
- runs well on middle class or older machines
- extremely stable (even the betas)

Minus:
- Not on par with the "big names" like Maya, 3ds Max, Modo etc.; those are several times more expensive than Cheetah. Much, much more.
- Not the best renderer around (no caustics in falcon, some problems with materials and lights), but all in all ok
- Lots of stuff missing like Subsurface Scattering and so on (some of this this will be in the version 7 cycle)
- Not many predefined materials
- As you said, not that many tutorials around
- Some people in here work professionally with Cheetah but I would qualify it at semi-professional level. You can get professional results in some cases, but not in all.
- Programmed by one guy only, who is very good at what he does. But should he get hit by a truck or something similar fatal then Cheetah will die. Of course, the software you bought would still be around.

How fast will you learn it? Nobody knows. Maybe you're a natural, maybe totally hopeless (sorry). So we can't say if there are enough tutorials for you. Or how your learning curve really is.

Still, with the manual and maybe some help from the people in here, you should be able to learn what you need. And, imho, if you can't learn it with this software, then you won't be able to in anything else. Then 3d modeling just isn't for you.

No cross-platform: Again, something that only you can decide, if that's important to you. The advantage is code tailored to one OS. Which is explaining why it's fast and stable.

As Frank said. It's up to you and your specific needs if Cheetah is the software for you or not. This only you can decide, and exactly for that there is a test-version to download and to experiment. It's probably a good thing to test other software so you have something to compare.

3d modelling and rendering isn't easy to learn. It needs work, and in the beginning you will not be able to compete with others. Furniture and buildings on the other hand are not that difficult, could be created by a CAD app for example, but todays archviz is a lot more than just those essentials. Most people in that branch try to achieve photoreal results that are not sterile but look lived in (and sometimes, I see a render where I ask myself if that's really helping selling apartments and buildings, because some of this guys create great pictures but are no interior architects at all. It looks real, but messy with some 1000 things arranged to achieve that). But don't think you will be able to create what you find in galleries on some of these 3d packages' websites.

As I said, download trials, compare, look what suits your needs and your budget best.

Greetings and good luck,
Hasdrubal

P.S.: That Cheetah is a subdivision modeler doesn't mean you can't do objects without subdiv

Looks like there are two renderers Cheetah and Falcon? Which is newer? I tried a demo scene out and Cheetah was WAY faster AND looked way better.

Can you give some visual examples why the renderer in Cheetah lacks in areas? I assume you could take the model and use a stand alone renderer instead? Thanks!

Last edited:
Falcon is the newer renderer and in many cases will produce better results and quicker feedback, although Cheetah is still great (especially if you turn on radiosity). Falcon is "the future" as Martin's reasons for adding it had to do with technical limitations of Cheetah which made it hard to add much-requested features such as volumetrics and SSS.

Falcon does motion blur and is unbiased (i.e. more realistic) within limits (it currently doesn't do caustics, although it used to and it may do so again).

Personally, if you're principally interested in the quality of final output you may want to use a different renderer, and then whether you want to use C3D at all come down to your workflow.

In my opinion, Cheetah's great strength is as a modeler (it's pretty much on par with Silo 3d, better in some ways, and Silo 3d is so good many pros use it in preference to other very expensive tools, despite it's not having received significant updates for over five years) and it's quite nice for simple animations.

Bottom line — you say you're a beginner. If Cheetah's price is OK then you should totally go for it. Nothing will get you up and running faster than Cheetah 3D and you can always switch to something more powerful later. If the price feels a bit much given your financial situation or level of interest, Blender is free but you'll spend a lot of time banging your head against walls, monitors, and you may throw a computer or two out the window. But it is free (and very, very capable).

Falcon has problems with lights, like no reflection of the light with certain light types (spot, point light, distant) in two materials: metal and dielectric (you can still create a metal like surface or glass with the default shader). Area lights and HDRI do reflect as you would expect, as does light emitting material (the forum is full of it as probably everybody new to cheetah is puzzled about this behavior). If you combine Area lights and HDRI you can get ugly streaks in the render (the shadow of the area light). And some other minor things.

I tried a demo scene out and Cheetah was WAY faster AND looked way better.

Well, if you don't change all the settings you get default quality. If you know what they do (i. e. read the manual) falcon gets almost always the more realistic looking result (without caustics). Hint: Put up the samples and you get way better pictures (but read the manual ... Something one can't say often enough).

And about the examples: The forum is full of it (for example me bickering about the quality of glasses because there are not enough bounces). One recent thread is this (caustics and black stuff in the rims of drinking glasses): https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12844

Falcon is not bad at all. It has its limits, but one of the pluses is the price of the package (modeler and renderer). Some stand alone renderers are very, very good but this usually comes with a big price tag (except blender of course).

For most people free blender is the obvious starting point, but the best example is a young man who did show me proudly one of his renders after a year of fooling around with blender. I was shocked, really was, and didn't know what to say without hurting his feelings and without lying. With Cheetah he would have produced better things after a few hours of learning. There I'm fully with pod about head banging etc. But there are people around who get really good results (in my opinion still not that great. Other renderers produce more realism for example). The learning curve is just very, very steep and I for example couldn't work with it.

assume you could take the model and use a stand alone renderer instead?

I wouldn't in the beginning. Wait till you really have the need for it (which could be never). Good renderers are quiet expensive and some still have limitations, often just the hunger for expensive hardware (there are a lot of gpu-renderers out there for example. The graphic cards are not the strong point of apple computers if you don't go for a imac pro or so). Or they are not so great with landscapes, or are very difficult to understand, or can't do glass right (not just drinking glasses), or are slow, or ... But some are just really, really great (and the only downside are the price or the complexity. Only, as a beginner you can't really judge).

Especially in combination with hdri-light (i. e. image based lighting) you can get very good results with falcon (look at the gallery. Some very nice pictures there, some not so good).

You know, one of the advantages of Cheetah is just it's more easy to learn the ropes than with other apps. But most of what you learn in Cheetah you can use in other apps, be it modeler or renderer or both. Before you really can't get to the limits of the renderer it's not worth thinking about another one in combination with cheetah.

Another reason to wait would be the simple fact that Martin, the developer, is working his head off and some things are coming the users' way.

But my tip is still the same: Try some things out, not only in your price range, and have a look at all those demos. You really will appreciate the simplicity of Cheetah more if you puzzled over other GUIs and literally hundreds of buttons and fields where as a beginner with no conception of 3d are fully lost. Some of this apps are very difficult to understand and to work with. There are a lot of pricy licenses bought in vain, because someone who would be able to get the result in cheetah couldn't do it in the better software and lost the fun in 3d.

Even if you feel the need to move on (modeler or renderer or both) later on, in a year or two, you would save some money with Cheetah, especially with those products that are paid annually (for others you'd get the new version and would save the price for the upgrade).

Oh, and another tip: If you are not an experienced photographer get a good book or two about photography. Reasons? Understanding what a renderer does simulate, better knowledge of how a pic should look like and especially composition.

Have fun,

Hasdrubal

To Pod fyi:
despite it's not having received significant updates for over five years

Nope, there's a new one out there.

And your glass really is always half full :smile: (
although it used to and it may do so again
)

Thanks for the replies. Falcon so far is always pixelated for me. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Just trying to render the built in examples. It's also about 10 times slower for some reason.

Thanks for the replies. Falcon so far is always pixelated for me. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Just trying to render the built in examples. It's also about 10 times slower for some reason.

Hi TinyAM and welcome.

Have you increased the pixel resolution setting on the renderer? The default 640x480 pixels will give a small image that would be pixelated if you zoom in on them.

I can’t really say why it is rendering slow for you. Which built in scene are you using?

I actually have a few modeling apps. Blender and SketchUp are free, so I don’t have any reason not to download them. I’ve used SketchUp a few times to build a full size accurate building structure and then saved a version of the model I could bring into C3d to finish / render. Blender is powerful, but like a few others here said, it can be difficult to use.

I'm using the free Lightbox file with the slab and sphere.

I tried up to rendering in 5k, still pixelated.

I mostly was interested in a modeler / renderer that took full advantage of macOS API's and software more than anything else.

File attachment size is small but let me see...

Cheetah on the left--Falcon on the right.

Attachments

• Cheetah.png
    Cheetah.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 362
  • Falcon.png
    Falcon.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 371

To get the max render quality with Falcon, set the samples to 0.

I use the Cheetah renderer first as it faster for simple models,
then as the scene gets more complex with transparency and
refraction, Falcon is faster and looks much better.

Okay that worked! Looks just as good, just takes like 20 times as long to render for some reason.

Do they both use CPU, GPU?

Okay that worked! Looks just as good, just takes like 20 times as long to render for some reason.

Do they both use CPU, GPU?

CPU

Only a few rendering engines can utilize GPU. And then it's also pretty much only Nvidia GPU using CUDA. ProRender technology is coming out soon though, so more options for AMD/Radeon cards. I'm not sure if C3d will support ProRender in the short term. It could be added at some point. Martin has been building towards having a lot of updated features in v7 for a few years. So a lot of good things coming!

set the samples to 0.

Actually, then it doesn't stop rendering. You have to stop yourself as soon as you're happy with the quality of the render.

With more samples than the default 100 you get more quality; it's worth experimenting with that.

And for everybody new to a complex software I recommend consulting the manual. It helps a lot to understand what's going on, and what those numbers actually mean. 100 what? What do this samples? It's all there in the helpfile.

Only a few rendering engines can utilize GPU.

Actually quiet a lot of them do use it; for some time it was a craze. There are even extern graphiccard-slots available exactly for something like that.

True, it's mostly CUDA (Nvidia), but there's OpenCL, too. For example, Cycles can use AMD (and there is the ProRender-Plugin, too). It's maybe faster if you put the money in the hardware (it makes it just more expensive to get a good render pc) but not better quality.

Actually, then it doesn't stop rendering. You have to stop yourself as soon as you're happy with the quality of the render.

With more samples than the default 100 you get more quality; it's worth experimenting with that.

And for everybody new to a complex software I recommend consulting the manual. It helps a lot to understand what's going on, and what those numbers actually mean. 100 what? What do this samples? It's all there in the helpfile.

Actually quiet a lot of them do use it; for some time it was a craze. There are even extern graphiccard-slots available exactly for something like that.

True, it's mostly CUDA (Nvidia), but there's OpenCL, too. For example, Cycles can use AMD (and there is the ProRender-Plugin, too). It's maybe faster if you put the money in the hardware (it makes it just more expensive to get a good render pc) but not better quality.

MODO has a convergence progress bar to show when most of the render pixels have almost no more changes from light bounces. It's a nice useful gauge to see where the render is.

I know a few render engines already have some GPU support. The large majority of them are plug-in renderers / stand alone renderers. Typically expensive as well. MODO is still working on building in ProRender, but at the moment it's still all CPU. I've read some pro 3d artist give their take on ProRender, and they are saying it's nice and fast, but it still has some bugs to work out.

My Mac Pro 5,1 at home has a GTX1080FE in it with dual 6-core X5690 Xeon's. I've set Blender Cycles to use GPU, but in all honesty haven't seen much of a performance gain from it vs CPU. Most likely something else isn't set up correctly though in my settings. Not exactly a scientific measurement on my end. I should get a test scene to see how it measures up. I dabble with Blender, but I can't get over it's odd interface.

I agree that reading the manual is one of the best ways to start with C3d. When I first got it I read through the manual a few times and then of course I've referred back to it constantly while working on a scene.

Zoo:

Maybe you're right, but

'Samples: The number of paths which are traced per pixel. The more samples you use the better the quality of the image gets. Setting the samples property to zero will cause Falcon to compute an infinite number of samples. So you to have to stop the render job manually once the renderer reached the quality you desired.'

That's an excerpt from the handbook :smile:

Swizl:

MODO is still working on building in ProRender, but at the moment it's still all CPU. I've read some pro 3d artist give their take on ProRender, and they are saying it's nice and fast, but it still has some bugs to work out.

Well, I didn't try out ProRender myself, but from watching some examples, Modos native (and happily CPU based) renderer delivers better results (or vray. or octane which is still more for nvidia cards).

MODO has a convergence progress bar to show ...

The preview renderer is good at that (and it's a full fledged renderer beside the name for those not knowing modo.

But let's not talk about modo. It's great, but I would never recommend it for a beginner.

Depends on your level of expertise with C3D, IMO. Some of the stuff Frank and the others have done leave me scratching my head in amazement. Just check out the Gallery to see. :smile:

Some people in here work professionally with Cheetah but I would qualify it at semi-professional level. You can get professional results in some cases, but not in all.

Depends on your level of expertise with C3D, IMO.

Nope, it depends on what you need. You can for example fake SSS only so much (with emitting light or post), which makes it difficult (and therefore very slow as you need much trickery) to create things like milk, jade, human skin, plants, sometimes plastic and other man made things, too. No volumetrics. Limited use of area lights (beautiful shadows) in combination with hdri, of glasses. No hair, no this no that.

As a professional you are often limited in your artistic freedom and can't always change the pic to the needs of your software (or only seldom).

'Sorry, Sir, I had to include those gold rims on your glasses to hide this ugly black stuff. Yeah, I know, your products don't have gold rims, but don't you think it looks much better and you should change your production?'

This does not mean you can't do great things with falcon, in the contrary, but in some cases you're in trouble. You know, those other renderers are not just for people who can't cope with Cheetah :smile:

One other minus for a professional is very important, too. There is no network rendering for Cheetah and therefore no renderfarm anywhere.

But for hobby users, especially beginners, cheetah is usually more than enough.

adaptive sampling

Thanks Frank. I know I did read about it once. But I completely, totally forgot and had to reread it. Sometimes it feels like for everything I learn something else gets deleted ...

Back