Help transforming vector world map to 3d sphere (from linked video tutorial)

Help transforming vector world map to 3d sphere (from linked video tutorial)

I’m trying to emulate this animation of a 2d world map morphing into a 3D globe but I seem to be having quality issues.

The below tutorial is actually for Cinema 4D - but it uses a warp modifier very similar to Cheetah’s. I have gotten close but the quality of my object is very poor, with lots of sharp edges preventing the sphere from being smooth.

Don’t know what I can do to make it work - I tried reducing the path’s approximation angle to lowest it will go and also changing the extrude modifier’s smoothing type but nothing seems to help.

The section of the video where it shows the warp deformer settings is around 3:56.

How to transform a vector world map into a sphere using the wrap deformer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_B2Nz3ba6I

I also attached my .Jas file and the vector map.

Any help much appreciated!

Attachments

• VectorMap-toGlobe.zip
    82.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.17.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.17.48 AM.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 330
Thanks for the link Frank. I don't fully understand how the Dicer object works. I have studied Pod's file but can't seem to figure out how to apply it to my own set up.

Unfortunately I'm without internet the next weeks and just lurking now+then on my iPad when I have the chance to fetch a free hotspot. So I can't lead you through the process - but I'm pretty sure that's the way to go. I caught your file and will see if I can realise what you're after -but I have no clue when I will have a hotspot at hand next time to upload the file. :redface:

Cheers
Frank

That's OK Frank - I appreciate your support. Normally I'd spend hours trying to figure this stuff out but my project is due Monday so I may just go in a different direction. Still, at some point, I'd love to learn how to do this.

Hi Pegot,

I've modified your file after Pod's method - works great!

The trick is a boolean intersection between your SVG extrude and a very thin box with a dense quad tesselation. That results in a new body with the side shape of the SVG and the front and back with the quads. You'll see when you disable the Wrap modifier and the boolean creator.

screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• World-to-globe+.jas.zip
    79.5 KB · Views: 200
Great stuff. And now I see where my error was. My path object was set to Bezier Spline instead of Linear.

Thanks again to both of you!

I just tried to animate the wrap modifier from flat to sphere and failed.
Obviously there is no neutral configuration, it always warps :tongue:

First thing would be to center the object (angle -180 to 180 instead of -360 to 0).
Or you set up a morph tag and record different collapsed states.

Too late now over here, see ya tomorrow!

You can do it with a morph tag - at least I was able to on my original file. But you have to collapse everything. And the new one is bound to be pretty heavy after flattening.

Looks even cooler!

Nitpick: Now with the meridian cage it appears that because of missing Antarctica the mapping is wrong, especially the equator is wrongly placed.
For the size of the continents the globe should be bigger.

For the size of the continents the globe should be bigger.
Is that something I could adjust by fiddling with the warp modifier - or would I need to change the actual vector file of the map?

But that will have to wait for another day. And ya, the missing polar caps were on my mind but hey - they're melting anyway! :(

That should be doable with the wrap modifier by making the cage bigger (extend lower where Antarctica should be).

And you could make a ball with an equirectangular earth texture from the web as a dummy to wrap the object around until it fits.
(You could take the globe from the hello world tutorial file from Help/ Cheetah samples)

EDIT: Just took a peek in the original Youtube tutorial and they have it wrong too!
Without latitudes and longitudes it isn't that obvious.

Last edited:
At one point the guy mentions moving the vector map up higher because he wasn't going to show the poles??

Back