Meshlab, mesh painting - open in Cheetah?

Meshlab, mesh painting - open in Cheetah?

I have been trying the mesh painting feature in Meshlab. I can't seem to get the painted versions into Cheetah. The plain obj files themselves open fine. In fact, it is a great way (and free) to open many mesh formats and then export them for use in Cheetah. But I have not figured out a way to use the painting feature.

Does anyone have any tips, or is this not possible? Thanks!

Hi,
Cheetah3D doesn't import textures and materials form obj (or better mtl) files. You have to assign the texture by yourself after import to Cheetah3D.

Bye,
Martin

hiroto has provided an obj+mtl import script, as i haven't tried meshlab yet i dunno if it works (apparently it doesn't work in v5).

I can confirm Hiroto's OBJ+MTL importer works fine 'till 4.7 but doesn't work in 5.x due to the new material system (imports geometry only). for some times i kept my 4.x just to import those OBJ files, then save 'em as .jas and re-open in 5.x (then I just realized it was better to assign materials in 5.x directly - but this is just my case)
I think Hiroto was waiting for some info about the new material system to update the script, so we might have a new OBJ+MTL working with 5.x too in the future... i really hope so 'cause obj (more than collada, at the moment imho) is the real 3D standard when you need to import/export meshes from different packages and we desperately need at least one

cheers,
Alessandro

I can confirm Hiroto's OBJ+MTL importer works fine 'till 4.7 but doesn't work in 5.x due to the new material system (imports geometry only). for some times i kept my 4.x just to import those OBJ files, then save 'em as .jas and re-open in 5.x (then I just realized it was better to assign materials in 5.x directly - but this is just my case)
I think Hiroto was waiting for some info about the new material system to update the script, so we might have a new OBJ+MTL working with 5.x too in the future... i really hope so 'cause obj (more than collada, at the moment imho) is the real 3D standard when you need to import/export meshes from different packages and we desperately need at least one

cheers,
Alessandro

so we are already three in this thread, time to move to the wishlist ...

I can confirm Hiroto's OBJ+MTL importer works fine 'till 4.7 but doesn't work in 5.x due to the new material system (imports geometry only)...
Strange, as it's working for me with 5.0/5.1 ? :confused:
The fact is that if you look at the "shade selection sets" (the ones from 0 to 15...) they will be "divided" in the same manner as the surface assignements of the OBJ (with the exception of 0, begin with 1...), or are you talking of something else ? :redface:

But i agree it would be cool to have that kind of feature directly integrated in Cheetah, as well as the recognition of Lwo2 files (yes, i see that as very important, being a LightWave user ! :wink:) and the possibility to name and memorize the selection sets in order to simplify the texturing of complex objects. :cool:

Probably in a future release ? :wink:

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

Strange, as it's working for me with 5.0/5.1 ? :confused:
The fact is that if you look at the "shade selection sets" (the ones from 0 to 15...) they will be "divided" in the same manner as the surface assignements of the OBJ (with the exception of 0, begin with 1...), or are you talking of something else ? :redface:

Hi Laurent,
I remember I made some test with one of the first 5.x release (could be 5.0 or 5.0.1...) and the script didn't work for the material part (didn't create any material at all); so I asked Hiroto and he said he need some more info on the new mat system to be able to update the script.
I tested with a couple of .obj exported from SketchUp (the same I tested with 4.7 and were OK) so maybe it depends on the .obj? or have you an updated script?
I will double check with other .obj anyway...

cheers,
Alessandro

Ok, some more tests: the old SU .obj and a couple of .obj created with Cheetah (with the default OBJ+MTL exporter script)... same behavior: imports geometry fine but errors appear when it comes to the material part. I noticed the imported model keeps UV maps and polygon selection info, if that's what you meant (and it's a good thing of course...)

checked out Hiroto's website but no updates

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• OBJtest.jpg
    OBJtest.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 750
  • OBJerror1.jpg
    OBJerror1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 722
  • OBJerror2.jpg
    OBJerror2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 703
Oh, you mean that usually (well, before, with 4.x) you add a material already setup for each polygon selection ? :confused:

If that's what you were getting before, so i understand you would prefer that behavior to the one we have now, which is, as you pointed out, the polygon selection and the UV set. :)

I never noticed any other behavior than the polygon selection, so i still find the script really useful (well, to be honest, i really can't live without it !) and use it daily. :icon_thumbup:

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

yep, in 4.x the script also created every material from your original .OBJ scene (all the textures had to be in the same folder of the .MTL), the only thing you had to do is drag n' drop them onto the mesh and assign the correct poly selection number, according to the list generated in the console tab (I think there was a short video tut somewhere but can't find it anymore in Hiroto's website)

cheers,
Alessandro

Back