Rigid body dynamics

Rigid body dynamics

Hi guys,

I've been experimenting with the different settings of the rigid bodies and made a little video compilation/manual of what I discovered...
(might contain mistakes, so if you notice one, let me know)

SEE HERE

I hope you guys like it.

(p.s.: I didn't find a distinct difference in use between the "convex" and "convex hull" shape yet...)

Kind regards,
Filip

Edit: here my notes as a guideline...(may contain errors!)

Rigid body settings
Types:

Static: objects that stay in place at all times, but get collided. They never get affected by forces.

Dynamic: objects which are automaticly influenced by gravity, collisions and forces.

Kinematic: animatable objects that collide, but aren't influenced by gravity, collisions or forces.

Shape:

determines which bounding shape will be used as a physical representation for simulation of the collisions

Bounding box: a cube that fits arround the object acts as collider

convex: the outer shape (cavities are ignored) acts as collider

convex hull: a calculated shape that completely encloses the object's geometry (like shrink-wrap) acts as collider

concave: the actual mesh acts as collider (slower to simulate!)

Mass:

Acceleration in relation with the gravity plus how much the object is influenced when collisions occur.

(gravity is -9,81 on the y axis by default, which is the gravity on earth. but this can be altered in the dynamics menu)

Friction:

How strong the resistance of the relative motion is of the objects sliding against each other

Elasticity:

How much objects bounce off each other

Damping:

Is a value to determine how much the velocity of the object is slowed down over time

Angular damping:

Is a value that determines how much the rotation of the object is slowed down over time

Margin:

Defines the space between colliding objects (shape is used for calculating)

Pivot point:

acts as center of mass!

To apply physics to particles:

you have to make the particle system editable and apply the Rigid Body tag to this particle system.

Forces:

Forces can influence the velocity of an object in a typical direction/pattern

Final toughts:

Mass, Friction and Elasticity strongly influence each other (in relation with the gravity and forces)!

small objects could penetrate collision objects

distances are very important (calculations use 1 unit as 1 meter)

Edit2:

I added the file, be sure to paste every example folder in a new cheetah document...

Attachments

• rigidbody.zip
    284.4 KB · Views: 1,820
Last edited:
Love it!
Well thought out and put together.
Explains a lot of parameters I may never have taken the time to figure out.
If I was to ask for one other thing (but I'm not), I would like to know the range of values for each of the parameters (i.e. minimum and maximum and common)

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

--Shift Studio.

P.S. if you used your own voice, that would be even better for us lazy folks.

Last edited:
Love it!
Well thought out and put together.
Explains a lot of parameters I may never have taken the time to figure out.
If I was to ask for one other thing (but I'm now), I would like to know the range of values for each of the parameters (i.e. minimum and maximum and common)

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

--Shift Studio.

P.S. if you used your own voice, that would be even better for us lazy folks.

Glad you like it!

To give you an idea, I used somewhat the minimum and maximum values in each example... (lare arrow vs. small arrow)
I don't know if there are common know values. They are individual for each object / material and is mostly a matter of experimenting, I guess.

P.s.: My voice and my english sound terrible, so I think I'm doing you guys a favor ;)

Glad you like it!

To give you an idea, I used somewhat the minimum and maximum values in each example... (lare arrow vs. small arrow)
I don't know if there are common know values. They are individual for each object / material and is mostly a matter of experimenting, I guess.

Yes, I should have realised that you were giving max and min in your examples :oops:

P.s.: My voice and my english sound terrible, so I think I'm doing you guys a favor ;)
I suspected you didn't narrate for those reasons.

If you posted your text from the notes on the video as a quick reference,
that would also be appreciated.

thanks again!
--Shift Studio.

Meant to tell you thanks and great tutorial! It certainly will help with grasping how dynamics work better.

You're very welcome. Glad you like it :)

I've been preparing a tutorial on softbodies as well, but didn't find the time to complete it yet...

Hi Darth, How are you doing?
Glad you like the tutorial, I'll try to make a softbody tutorial as well soon...

Filip

Last edited:
Thanks very much for this helpful series of examples.

(For new users, it's worth pointing out that they need to separately install the arrow.js script, which I believe is not in the standard distribution in v6.0.1)

Greg

Thanks very much for this helpful series of examples.

(For new users, it's worth pointing out that they need to separately install the arrow.js script, which I believe is not in the standard distribution in v6.0.1)

Greg

Glad you like it :smile:

I replaced the file with a new one that doesn't need the script any more, sorry for the inconvenience...

Kind regards,
Filip

Back