Do I really have to keep re-selecting the root bone...

Do I really have to keep re-selecting the root bone...

Do I really have to keep re-selecting the root bone in order for cheetah to make a keyframe when animating a character?

Is there a way round this? Kind of gets in the way when you see a keyframe being created but then you find that its actually doing nothing as you forgot to select the root bone before recording the keyframe.

Also I really hope that Martyn gives us the ability to copy paste keyframes and perhaps mirror them in the timeline to speed up animation. That would help a huge amount.

Now I will get back to it. :)

Mike

Hi Mike,

You can always enable the automatic keying (key symbol under record button), but I allways found this to be tricky, since it often leaves you with unwanted keys...

You might also find the F-curve scripts Hiroto made (see here and here) and the pose utility script (see here) of podperson helpful...

edit: I tought copy/paste keyframes was possible and mirroring (2 keyframes) is possible with the F-curve utility script (oscilate 2 times with center as base, doubling the time again with the time remapper)

Last edited:
The root bone clicking ritual is my biggest gripe with c3d right now. I've been asking for a "pin root bone for purposes of recording keys" feature for a long time. The hours of lost work and frustration over the years add up...

Yes. It gets really frustrating when you find a key was not made so you go back and work out where you got the order wrong. All of what I am currently doing is to find where the workflow issues are that need cleaning up to make Cheetah a total pleasure to use.

At the moment little things like the above mean its possible to do something but the workflow gets in the way so its not really a pleasure to do character animation.

By the way I hope nobody takes my posts as a negative towards Cheetah. It is a fantastic application that just needs some better structure in certain tools to bring it right up to scratch.

It wont take much and the windows folks will be begging for it. ;)

Mike

I agree with you guys that it is the small things that have the biggest impact on productivity. My personal gripe: entering a number manually in a field in any panel and hitting Return does not "deactivate" the field until you move the cursor over the 3D view panel (???). Most frustrating thing ever... Funny how small shit like this always means the difference between mediocrity and excellence.

hi

The root bone clicking ritual is my biggest gripe with c3d right now. I've been asking for a "pin root bone for purposes of recording keys" feature for a long time. The hours of lost work and frustration over the years add up...

I think it's available with script; "pin root bone for purposes of recording keys", if I write, could you test it?

It will have 2 scripts, tag script for pin root joint , and macro script to record.

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

@tg_jp -- I'd test it. Actually it would be neat to integrate that functionality with Pose Utilities (which I find indispensable anyway -- of course I did write it myself...)

That said, I really think this should be a native behavior.

Interestingly I noticed that if you set a target object (a spline or something) for the ankles and wrists etc you no longer need to keep re selecting the root bone to create keyframes.

Just select the joint by means of the targeted spline.

Mike

Interestingly I noticed that if you set a target object (a spline or something) for the ankles and wrists etc you no longer need to keep re selecting the root bone to create keyframes.

Just select the joint by means of the targeted spline.

Mike

I think you're mistaken. You're simply keying the target, which is fine for IK but not FK.

Do I really have to keep re-selecting the root bone in order for cheetah to make a keyframe when animating a character?

Is there a way round this? Kind of gets in the way when you see a keyframe being created but then you find that its actually doing nothing as you forgot to select the root bone before recording the keyframe.

Hi,
I'm not sure that always keying the whole character is good practice. For example if you animated the right toe and select the root joint for keying you also create a key for the left toe and the left hand?

Normally I would recommend auto-keying for that task.

Bye
Martin

Back