Help File as a PDF for printing

Help File as a PDF for printing

Hi

Would it be or is it possible to print the whole help file in one go, I find that on my laptop having help open and Cheetah I run out of space on my screen, and would find it useful to have a paper copy so I can refer to it when ever.

Yours

Graham

Hi,
the documentation in Cheetah3D is in HTML format. I think Acrobat can convert HTML documentation to PDF. But I've never done that by myself since I don't own Acrobat.

Bye
Martin

The html files can be found in the Cheetah3D.app bundle. Just right click on it and chose show package content in the finder. In the opening finder window go to Contents/Resources/English.lproj.

Bye
Martin

thanks Martin,

it doesn't work as the copy of the manual folder has aliases instead of the source images (same thing if I move it out of the .app package) and Acrobat cannot access files stored inside the .app package...

don't know why copying/moving the folder from the .app has this behavior... (of course t's the first time I do it)

I'd be glad to try again if you can provide a "normal" manual html folder (will send the pdf back to you if I succeed)

cheers,
Alessandro

Yeah, all the bitmap files are in the common folder. They could be replaced by the actual bitmap image, but the ones in the common folder are numbered instead of matching the file name they go to. So they are basically not only aliased, but also treated as linked files. One of us would have to manually go and find the name for each, re-name them, and then move them to the proper place for the html to display them properly. Unless someone else has a better way to repair those linked images after copying out of the bundle?

Attachments

• Linked File.jpg
    Linked File.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 564
Ok, I've tricked it by re-creating the folder structure on my desktop! It now see all images linked correctly. Now to see if I can convert the html to pdf. I'll post back when I find out.

Ok, here's a pdf (click link) version of the manual. I had to link it to my DropBox for now as it's to big to post here (3.5mb zip file). The bookmarks might be a little wrong. If any of the pages are out of order, please let me know. There were a few pages that didn't have links that probably didn't make it over. I will add them later manually when I have time. I'll also add some page numbers when I get a chance. If anyone has any recommendations or if you see anything amiss, please let me know. I'll fix the file.

Martin, is there somewhere else this file can be uploaded to? I don't want to leave it linked in my DropBox forever, but want people (with your permission of course) to be able to access it. Let me know if that is something you don't want and I'll remove it completely.

Thanks!

Swizl

Edit - The Table of Contents from the HTML file were split on two pages. Acrobat Pro didn't pull any of the links from the second page, so quit a few entries are missing. I'm working on fixing it. I'll post back when it's updated. The original file with missing pages will still be downloadable until I can update it though.

Update - The pdf has now been fixed. There are probably still some problems with it, but it will function for now. Thanks.

Last edited:
PDF File

What a star you are,

kiss kiss hug hug. Will have a look through it later. I think it will make newbies like me life so much easier to get to grips with things.

( I must be odd, and male engineer who reads a manual )

Ofc I'll only use it to proof read atm. anything to help

Graham

No problem, I'm glad to help. In the back of my mind I had been wondering about a PDF version of the manual also. It will be easier to print a copy for reference and save some screen real estate while working in C3D. My wife thinks I'm odd because I like to read manuals! :cool:

How?

Swizl, did you convert every single html-page one by one? Is there a way to convert the html-pages in one pass? I ask because I would like to make a pdf with the files in german.

- Novus

Hi Novus,

No I had Adobe Acrobat Pro import all the linked files for me. Here are the steps I took to make the pdf manual.

1. Find the Cheetah3D app bundle in your applications folder and then control click it to get the package contents.

2. Create a new folder called "Resources" on the desktop (these are probably in German on your version, just name everything to match what you have in the app bundle).

3. Copy the "Common" folder from the bundle into the "Resources" folder on your desktop. You can hold the Apple key down (you'll see a green button with a plus in it if you do it right) to copy the folder from app bundle.

4. Create a folder inside the "Resources" folder called English.lproj (again this will probably be the Deutsche.lproj or German.lproj for you).

5. Copy the Cheetah3DManual folder from the bundle into the *.lproj folder that was created in step 4.

6. I opened the index.html that's in the "Cheetah3dmanual" folder (from desktop) in Safari (Firefox or any other browser will probably also work). And then I saved the file as a a web archive on the desktop. You might not have to do that step, but that's what I did.

7. I then opened the web archive that I made in Acrobat Pro.

8. I don't have Acrobat Pro on my laptop here at home (only on my work machine) so I don't remember exactly what it's called. I think it's under Advanced > Web Capture > ?. I can let you know for sure on Monday. You have to run this on both pages to import the linked pages into the pdf file.

9. The last step after importing all the linked pages is to create bookmarks (if you want, you don't have to do this to get it to work).

If you don't have Acrobat Pro I can create the German version for you on Monday. Just let me know. :icon_thumbup:

Thanks for the correction Frank. I do most of the keyboard shortcuts by feel now. So forgot which one it was without using it.

PDF pics dont show on Ipad

Hi

Just to let you know I just loaded file onto my Ipad, but I cant see the images. and links dont work

I'll have a look to see if I can spot anything, could be the reader.

Graham

Do you want help with the pdf

Hi

As this seems to have taken off, Swizl do you want some help. I've got access to acrobat as well

We would need to do some sort of version control, or break the work load into 'sections'

Ofc assuming Martin is happy with this.

Back